Our Chocolate Chip Banana Bread recipe is my family’s favorite! So moist and delicious, my kids will hide bananas so they get overripe and we “HAVE” to make it!
The trick to perfect chocolate chip banana bread is waiting until your bananas are super duper really really ripe – it makes the bread super moist! This chocolate twist on our classic banana bread recipe is divine. And if you love all things chocolate try our flaky chocolate pastry, or s’mores brownie pie next!
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe Ingredients
- Butter – You’ll want this to be room temperature. If you don’t keep butter on the counter or forgot to take it out of the fridge in time, you can heat it in the microwave on 50% power for 15 – 30 seconds.
- Brown sugar – Just gently packed in the measuring cup. If you want to lessen the calories, you can cut down on the brown sugar as the bread will already be sweet from the bananas.
- Eggs – We use large eggs in all our baking. If you only have small eggs on hand, go ahead and use three rather than two.
- Bananas – If you pay attention to nothing else in this article, pay attention to this, please! Make sure your bananas are super duper extra ripe. This is important for a sweet moist banana bread.
- Salt – A little bit of salt goes a long way in enhancing the flavors in a recipe. It will not make your bread taste salty, I promise!
- Vanilla – Make sure to use real vanilla extract and not imitation, please and thank you.
- Baking soda – Baking soda is used as a leavening agent to make sure the bread isn’t too dense. If this is the only ingredient you’re missing, go ahead and make the recipe anyway. It will still be delicious!
- Cinnamon – Just a little cinnamon rounds out the flavor beautifully! Also skippable, but if you have it on hand, definitely usable.
- Flour – It’s important to check your flour and make sure you’re using all purpose flour and not cake flour or self rising flour.
- Chocolate chips – We like to use semi sweet chocolate chips, but add whatever kind is your favorite. A great option is mini chips so they spread out in the bread more evenly!
- Pan release – Not really an ingredient, but it’s important to line the pan with parchment paper or use a good pan release. We love this recipe for homemade pan release. Works like a charm!
How do you make chocolate chip banana bread? (Step-by-step)
⭐ First, in a large bowl, use an electric mixer to cream together the butter and brown sugar. Add eggs, bananas, salt, vanilla, baking soda, and cinnamon. Blend well.
⭐ Next, gently stir in flour, then chocolate chips.
⭐ Finally, pour into a well greased baking dish and bake at 350 degrees on the center rack for about 60 minutes. Check with a toothpick for doneness.
What if I don’t have a loaf pan?
You can absolutely make chocolate chip banana bread without a loaf pan! This can be prepared in any oven safe dish. Just make sure to check for doneness a little bit earlier if the pan you choose is shallower than a loaf pan. My 12 year old has started making this and he loves to do it in a square cake pan.
Can I make the batter ahead of time?
You can make the batter up to a day in advance and store it in a sealed container in the refrigerator. If the batter thickens too much, stir in a small amount of water or milk until it is just pourable before baking.
What kind of chocolate chips in banana bread?
This recipe calls for semi sweet chocolate chips, but we actually ran out of chips (oops), so I grabbed some Ghirardelli semi sweet chocolate and chopped it up. Turns out I love the look of chopped chocolate – I think it makes a rustic style banana bread.
Like something you might get at a trendy shop in Soho or at a cute AirBnB. I like to make sure and sprinkle some of whatever is inside my bread over the top too, so it’s easy to tell what’s what.
Leftovers and storage
How long does chocolate chip banana bread last?
The bread will last three to four days after baking. Make sure to store it in a sealed container to avoid drying out or ants on your counter!
Do you have to refrigerate leftovers?
You do not have to refrigerate leftover chocolate chip banana bread. It can be left out at room temperature for a few days. That said, if you live in an especially moist climate, the bread will last longer if kept in the refrigerator.
Can I freeze the bread?
You can freeze cooked chocolate chip banana bread! We love freezing whole loaves or slices for later. Make sure you allow the bread to cool to room temperature, then wrap it tightly with plastic wrap, freezer paper, or something similar and store in a sealed airtight container.
The bread will last in the freezer for up to about 6 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator or on kitchen counter.
More ideas for breakfast!
- Easy homemade waffle recipe
- Quick instant pot hard boiled eggs
- Old fashioned pancakes
- Greek yogurt breakfast bowls
- See all our breakfast recipes!
More quick bread recipes to try!
- Sour cream coffee cake recipe
- Quick apple bread
- Zucchini bread recipe
- Pumpkin drop biscuits
- See all our easy bread recipes!
Tools we love!
- Pyrex Basics 1.5 Quart Clear Glass Loaf Dish with Lid
- Baker’s SecretCooling Rack, Set of 2
- Ghirardelli Chocolate Bittersweet Baking Chips
Get our FREE Easy Casseroles Ebook!
Follow us below!Use #mamalovesfood on Instagram!
How to make chocolate chip banana bread
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter room temperature
- 1/2 cup brown sugar gently packed
- 2 eggs
- 3 over-ripe bananas
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 - 1 cup chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to cream together the butter and brown sugar. Add eggs, bananas, salt, vanilla, baking soda, and cinnamon. Blend well.
- Gently stir in flour, then chocolate chips.
- Pour into a well greased baking dish and bake at 350 degrees on the center rack for about 60 minutes. Check with a toothpick for doneness.
Try these yummy chocolate chip banana bars next!