Dorito casserole made with ground beef, taco seasoning, sour cream, loads of cheese and nacho Doritos is always a dinner hit!
This Dorito casserole recipe is easy to make and definitely a family favorite. My kids think it’s hilarious that we’re eating Doritos for dinner! Enjoy it with some mango salsa appetizer and pineapple ice cream for dessert.
Click the button above to save this recipe!
Dorito Casserole Ingredients
- Ground beef – You can also use ground chicken, ground turkey, or ground pork.
- Onion – Yellow, finely diced.
- Garlic – Minced.
- Taco seasoning – Use a packet or make your own!
- Tomatoes with green chiles – We like Rotel, but many stores make a generic version as well.
- Cheddar cheese soup – Canned condensed cheese soup, do not add milk or water.
- Sour cream – Full fat will give the best flavor. Plain Greek yogurt can be substituted.
- Cheese – Mexican or fiesta blend, shredded.
- Doritos – Nacho flavor, gently crushed.
- Optional garnish – Diced tomatoes, green onion, black olives, sour cream, pico de gallo.
How do you make Dorito casserole? (step-by-step)
⭐ First, brown and drain meat. Add the onions and garlic, and sauté until the onions are translucent.
⭐ Then, stir in taco seasoning, diced tomatoes, and cheese soup. Bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream.
⭐ Next, layer Doritos, ground beef mixture, and cheese. Repeat, finishing with a layer of Doritos.
⭐ Finally, cover with foil and bake. Finish baking uncovered until the cheese is bubbly and the edges of the Doritos have started to brown. Garnish as desired.
Can you make Dorito casserole ahead of time?
For sure. Assemble the casserole, then keep covered in the refrigerator or freezer until ready to bake.
What kind of chips for Dorito casserole?
We made the dish with nacho flavor, but feel free to mix it up with whatever flavors you love!
Can you make Dorito casserole with chicken?
Yes! Try with browned ground chicken, shredded baked chicken, or instant pot shredded chicken. (Shredded pork is great too!).
Leftovers and storage
How long does Dorito casserole last?
Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for 3 – 4 days. If the dish was left out at room temperature longer than 2 hours, leftovers should be discarded.
How do you reheat Dorito casserole?
You can reheat individual servings in the microwave at high power for 30 – 60 seconds, or on an oven safe dish in the toaster oven for about 7 minutes, until warmed through and top is crispy.
Can you freeze Dorito casserole?
Yes, It’s best to freeze before baking. Assemble the casserole then wrap tightly with foil twice (or once with foil and once with plastic wrap).
To bake, unwrap frozen casserole and cover with one layer of foil. Bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake according to recipe directions. Alternately, you can thaw overnight in the refrigerator and bake as normal.
Tips, tricks, and frequently asked questions
✅ Make it spicy with chili powder or pickled jalapenos.
✅ Go vegetarian by swapping the beef for pinto beans, black beans, or refried beans.
✅ Use a different meat like chicken or pork. Chorizo sausage would be amazing!
✅ Add extra veggies like more tomatoes and bell peppers.
What to eat with dorito casserole (serving suggestions)
I like to keep with the Mexican inspired flavors when serving this dish, like black bean soup, Mexican corn salad, guacamole, or corn casserole. And don’t forget the pineapple margarita!
More amazing casserole recipes
- Broccoli mac and cheese recipe
- Cheesy hashbrown casserole
- Rigatoni bake
- Chicken spaghetti
- Tuna casserole
- See all our easy casserole recipes
Other dinners with ground beef
- Lasagna soup recipe
- Stuffed pepper soup
- Baked spaghetti
- Sloppy joes
- Frito Pie
- See all our ground beef recipes
Try these taco inspired recipes next
- Flour Taquitos
- Oven Baked Tacos
- Loaded Chicken Nachos
- Tortilla Soup with Chicken
- Tostadas with Chicken
- Mexican Stuffed Peppers Recipe
- See all our easy Mexican Recipes
Tools we love
- Casserole dish with lid – I love this dish because it can go from freezer to oven.
- Large spatula – No one wants a small portion of cheesy potatoes.
Get our FREE Easy Casseroles Ebook!
Follow us below!Use #mamalovesfood on Instagram!
How to Make Dorito Casserole
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small yellow onion finely diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 packet taco seasoning 1.25 ounces
- 1 can diced tomatoes with green chiles (like rotel) 10 ounces
- 1 can cheddar cheese soup 10.75 ounces
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded cheese Fiesta blend or cheddar
- 1 bag Nacho Cheese Doritos 9.75 ounces, gently crushed
- diced tomatoes
- green onions
- sliced black olives
- sour cream
- In a large skillet on the stove top, brown the ground beef, then drain. Add the onions and garlic, and cook until the onions are translucent.
- Stir in the taco mix, diced tomatoes and cheese soup and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and stir in the sour cream.
- In a 9x13 inch casserole dish, layer ⅓ of the Doritos, then ½ of the ground beef mixture, and 1 cup of cheese. Repeat the layer, ending with the remaining ⅓ of crushed Doritos.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350F for 30 minutes. Uncover and continue cooking until the cheese is bubbly and the edges of the Doritos have started to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Serve with diced tomatoes, green onions, black olives and sour cream.
Click the button above to save this recipe!
Michelle Lussier says
Ground beef and nachos doritos for us
Dawn Curtis says
I prefer ground chicken
Elaine Bedore says
We prefer beef. Refried or pintos for a change. Spicy nacho Doritios are the best. We like the toppings in your recipe, tasty and not too much heat!
Ground beef and nacho cheese Doritos. Great recipe!
Beverly Collins says
I use Ground Beef
Also use Chicken
I add black olives and diced tomatoes on top
A family favorite
Kathy Kasiorek says
Haven’t tried this yet but it sounds delish. Question: do the Doritos stay crisp or do they get soft? Would like the crunch so if they get soft, I’d add them to the dish at the last minute when you take off the foil for the last 10 minutes. Has anyone done it this way?
I prefer ground beef or shredded chicken.
I would use spicy Doritos