Taquitos for everyone! Make these baked taquitos and every day becomes Taco Tuesday!
Taquitos (which literally translate to little tacos), are easy to make and always a hit. Tacos are life. Can we just agree on that? So if tacos are life (which they are), does that mean taquitos are little life? Hashtag, things to ponder. Serve these easy taquitos with some guacamole, pico de gallo, and cilantro garlic sauce.
Click the button above to save this recipe!
- Flour tortilla – Burrito size, you could also use corn tortillas if you prefer.
- Chicken – Cooked and shredded. (Here’s how we make easy baked chicken breasts). You can also use canned chicken for this recipe!
- Mexican/Fiesta blend cheese – Any shredded cheese you love will work, but this is our favorite.
- Taco seasoning – I like to keep a large container of seasoning on hand. We make a lot of tacos!
- Optional: Olive oil
How do you make taquitos?
⭐ First, mix together chicken, cheese, and taco seasoning.
⭐ Then, cut each tortilla in half, and starting at the wide end, make a line of meat/cheese. Roll tightly and set on a parchment lined baking sheet.
⭐ Next, spray or baste with olive oil (this is optional, but it will help them brown), and bake until browned and cooked through.
⭐ Finally, cut in half and serve!
Taquitos for snack
Regardless, I remember many many a college night going to my freezer to raid the box of taquitos for a midnight snack and now as an adult (when did that happen???) they make a super fantastic after school snack for the kids.
And as it turns out – the recipe for taquitos is ridiculously simple. My taquitos recipe is a whopping four ingredients. Seriously. Chicken, cheese, spices, and flour tortillas. Yes, yes. I’m a flour tortilla taquitos gal. If you prefer corn, no big, just use corn.
But flour is where it’s at in this house. Hashtag, flour power. Yes, I went there.
How do you cook taquitos?
If you’re only making enough for an afternoon (or midnight) snack, then the toaster oven works perfectly. No need to heat up the whole house with your oven. I like to use the large tortillas. Each large tortilla makes four (yes, four!!!) taquitos. You’re welcome.
While taquitos make a fantastic afternoon snack, they’re also the perfect (perrrrrrfect) party or game-day appetizer. Make a whole tray of them in your oven and serve with some Cilantro Garlic Sauce or Roasted Tomato and Garlic Salsa!
The only downside is that your friends may never leave your house. But, maybe they’ll do dishes?
What type of chicken in Taquitos
Ready for a truth bomb? I’m about to lay some knowledge down that you might not agree with. And if you don’t agree. Let’s still be friends anyway. M’kay? So. The thing is most of the time for this recipe I use canned chicken.
Phew, I said it. Are you still here?
For real though, canned chicken works perfectly in this recipe and keeps it so low muss low fuss that it’s really hard to argue against. I’m totally on #teamcanned meat, but if you just can’t wrap your head around it, then by all means – feel free cook and shred your own chicken. I won’t stop you!
Preparation and Storage
Can you make taquitos ahead of time?
You can make taquitos a day in advance and keep them in the refrigerator, or as many as several days or weeks in advance and keep them in the freezer. I don’t suggest keeping prepared uncooked taquitos in the refrigerator for more than a day though, as they can become soggy.
Keep prepared taquitos in a sealed container where they won’t be disturbed when moved (like a tupperware, not a freezer bag).
Can you freeze taquitos?
You can freeze taquitos both before and after cooking. If freezing before cooking, it is best to freeze them on a flat surface, like a baking sheet. Once they have frozen solid, they can be moved into a freezer bag for more convenient storage.
If freezing after cooking, the taquitos should be sturdy enough to put directly into a freezer bag. Make sure they have cooled completely before freezing.
How do you reheat taquitos?
Taquitos are best reheated in an oven or toaster oven so they will crisp back up. In an oven, bake at 350 degrees on the center rack for about ten minutes. In a toaster oven, set to medium toast and cook until heated and browned.
If you’re not worried about crispiness, then go ahead and pop them in the microwave for 30 – 60 seconds!
Dips and sauces your Taquitos will love!
- Ranch Dressing Dip
- Cilantro Garlic Sauce
- Roasted Tomato Salsa
- Sriracha Mayo
- See all our yummy condiment recipes!
What to serve with Taquitos
More Mexican Inspired Recipes
More Appetizer Recipes
- Steak Sliders
- Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers
- Healthy Turkey Meatballs
- Olive Tapenade
- See all our appetizer ideas!
More chicken recipes
- Peanut Butter Chicken
- Honey Mustard Chicken
- Easy Chicken Sliders
- Crispy Chicken Thighs
- Honey Garlic Chicken
- See all our chicken recipe ideas!
Tools we love
- Silicone baking mats – Nothing sticks to these! Whaaaa?! Perfect for baking sugary cookies, or cheesy croissants. You know why? Because nothing sticks to these!!!
- Oil mister – This is the perfect gift for folks who want to make sure they know exactly what they’re spraying on their pans. We like to put olive oil in ours, but you could use anything from vegetable oil, grapeseed oil, avocado oil, or whatever you like! Just pump the top a few times and it sprays a fine mist of the oil you chose.
- Bakers half sheet – It’s cool, we only have about six of these bakers half sheets because they’re good for absolutely everything. Cookies? Yes! Steak? Yes! Cake? Oh yeh! Roasted veggies? Uhhhh huh!
Get our FREE Easy Casseroles Ebook!
Follow us below!Use #mamalovesfood on Instagram!
How to make Taquitos
- 6 large flour tortillas burrito size
- 1 can chicken drained (12.5 ounce) -or- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1 cup shredded Mexican/Fiesta blend cheese
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- optional: olive oil
- In a bowl, mix together chicken, cheese, and taco seasoning.
- Cut each tortilla in half, then starting at the wide end, make a line of meat/cheese.
- Roll tightly and set on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Spray or baste with olive oil (this is optional, but it will help them brown), and bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes or until browned and cooked through.
- Cut in half and serve with Cilantro Garlic Sauce or Restaurant Style Roasted Tomato and Garlic Salsa.
If you love our taquitos, then definitely try this delicious recipe for chicken tostadas next!
Click the button above to save this recipe!
This Taquitos recipe was originally a partnered effort with Mirum and Mission Tortillas. All recipes and opinions are my own.
For our recipe we used Mission Tortillas. Mission Tortillas make it possible to have authentic tortillas at home in mere seconds. They are available in organic and non-GMO certified with no preservatives, and made with real sea salt. Mission Tortillas are the perfect option for time starved moms and dads and they are available at various locations including your local Kroger store!Don’t forget to shop now at any of the Kroger family of stores: Smith’s, Dillons, Foods Co, Jay C Foods, Bakers Plus, Ralph’s, Fry’s Food, Gerbes, Fred Meyer, Pay-Less, City Market, QFC, Food 4 Less, King Soopers.