Pumpkin bread is a fall staple! Made with pure pumpkin and spiced with cinnamon it will no doubt be your favorite new treat.
This moist and delicious pumpkin bread is so simple to make (and a million percent better than Panera pumpkin bread!). Definitely prepare a double batch so you can freeze some for later. Try it for breakfast with our easy hash brown breakfast casserole!
Click the button above to save this recipe!
Pumpkin Bread Ingredients
- Pumpkin puree – Make sure you get a can of pure pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling.
- Sugar – Granulated white sugar.
- Butter – Melted and cooled.
- Vanilla extract – Real vanilla, not imitation.
- Eggs – Medium or large.
- Flour – All purpose, not self rising.
- Leavening agents – Baking soda and baking powder.
- Seasonings – Salt and cinnamon.
How do you make homemade pumpkin bread? (Step-by-step)
⭐ First, whisk together the pumpkin, sugar, butter, vanilla, and eggs set aside.
⭐ Then, in a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and baking powder.
⭐ Next, pour the wet mixture into the dry and stir together until just combined, so there are no dry lumps. Pour everything into a prepared pan.
⭐ Finally, bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Scroll down to the printable recipe card toward the bottom of this article for ingredient measurements and detailed cooking instructions.
How do I make a streusel topping for my pumpkin bread?
Streusel is a doubling recipe (like our easy shortbread cookie recipe). You’ll whisk together 1 part butter, 2 parts flour, and 4 parts sugar (e.g. 1/4 cup butter, 1/2 cup flour, 1 cup sugar). A pinch of salt too, if you’d like.
Add the topping immediately before baking. If adding a streusel topping, you’ll want to bake this in two smaller loaf pans.
How do you eat pumpkin bread?
I like it warm, fresh from the oven as is, but my kids like it iced with a dollop of pumpkin spiced cream cheese frosting. It would also be delicious with whipped butter or smothered in homemade apple butter.
Storage and leftovers
How long does homemade pumpkin bread last?
You can keep the bread at room temperature in a cool dry environment for 2 – 3 days, in the refrigerator (in a sealed container) for up to a week, or frozen (wrapped and sealed) indefinitely.
Can you freeze pumpkin bread?
Yes, to freeze it you’ll want to wait for the loaf to cool completely. Then wrap tightly in plastic wrap and then again in foil, or place in a sealed container (freezer bag or tupperware).
Tips & tricks
🍫 Add a cup of chocolate chips to make it even more decadent.
🍁 If you need more fall flavor, skip the cinnamon and use 2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice instead.
😍 Top with a cinnamon streusel crumble.
🍥 Or drizzle with eggnog icing.
More pumpkin recipes
- Pumpkin waffles
- Pumpkin soup
- Pumpkin spice cupcakes
- Classic pumpkin pie
- See all our easy pumpkin recipes!
More quick bread recipes
- Homemade banana bread
- Peanut butter bread recipe
- Apple walnut bread recipe
- Easy zucchini bread
- Sweet cornbread
- See all our bread recipes!
Tools we love
- Loaf pans – We love these basic loaf pans, especially because the flared ends make them easy to get in and out of the oven.
- Cooling rack – A good cooling rack is essential for baking!
- Bread knife – Using a serrated bread knife will get you the perfect slices every time.
Get our FREE Easy Casseroles Ebook!
Follow us below!Use #mamalovesfood on Instagram!
How to Make Pumpkin Bread
- 15 ounces pure pumpkin puree
- 1 & ⅔ cups granulated sugar
- ⅔ cups unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 & ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch loaf pan (or two 7" or 8" loaf pans) and set aside. In a large bowl whisk together the pumpkin, sugar, butter, vanilla, and eggs set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and baking powder. Pour the wet mixture into the dry and stir together until just combined, so there are no dry lumps. Pour everything into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 70-80 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean (for 2 loaf pans, check bread at 50 minutes). Cool for 10 minutes in the pan. Invert the bread and place it on a wire rack to cool completely.
Click the button above to save this recipe!