Strawberry shortcake cookies (strawberry crunch cookies) are a delightful throwback to the strawberry shortcake bars we all loved as kids!
Strawberry Shortcake Cookies
Why you’ll love this recipe!
📌 Delicious strawberry crunch flavor in a giant cookie!
📌 Super easy to make and are a great bake sale or cookie basked option.
📌 Prepare as giant cookies (pictured), or make lots of smaller ones!
Strawberry shortcake crunch cookie ingredients
- Butter – Salted, softened.
- Sugar – White granulated sugar.
- Eggs – Large eggs.
- Vanilla – Real vanilla extract.
- Flour – All purpose flour.
- Baking powder – For leavening.
- Strawberry preserves – Seedless. Strawberry jam is also a good alternative.
- Frosting – Butter, powdered sugar.
- Crunch topping – Vanilla oreos, strawberry jello powder, butter.
How to make strawberry shortcake cookies with crunch topping (step-by-step)
⭐ First, cream together the butter and both sugars until fluffy. Beat in the egg, strawberry preserves, and vanilla. Add in the flour, baking powder and salt. Mix until just combined.
⭐ Then, divide the dough into equal portions and form each into a ball. Just until it comes together. (Dough will be crumbly). Bake the cookies until edges are just turning golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack after a few minutes.
⭐ Next, while cookies are cooling whip the butter until fluffy, add in powdered sugar and beat to combine. Beat in a splash of milk if the buttercream is too thick.
⭐ Finally, crush the oreos until they are crumbs. Add the crumbs, jello mix and butter to a bowl and stir to combine. Pipe or spread icing on the cookies, then top with the crunch topping.
Scroll down to the printable recipe card toward the bottom of this article for ingredient measurements and detailed cooking instructions.
Can you make strawberry crunch cookies ahead of time?
Yes! You can make and bake the cookies a few days ahead, or prep by making the dough in advance and keeping it in the refrigerator or freezer until ready to bake.
What frosting for strawberry shortcake cookies?
We’ve topped these cookies with a delicious banana buttercream that we made with a combination of powdered sugar, butter, and banana pudding mix.
How many cookies does this recipe make?
This recipe is inspired by the Crumbl strawberry shortcake cookies, so we made 12 large cookies! You can absolutely split the dough up more and make up to 24 smaller cookies.
Just make sure to shorten the cook time accordingly.
Storage and leftovers
How long do strawberry shortcake cookies last?
These will keep 3- 4 days in the refrigerator or longer in the freezer. They should not be kept at room temperature since the filling is made with dairy.
Can you freeze the cookies?
Yes! To freeze the baked cookies, allow them to cool completely then store in a freezer safe air-tight container for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
For best results, freeze before topping.
To freeze the dough, form into balls and roll in dough, then place in a freezer safe airtight container and separate layers with parchment paper.
Tips, tricks, and frequently asked questions
✅ Make sure not to overbake. In fact, these cookies should be just slightly under-baked so they stay soft and chewy on the inside.
✅ Bake on a lined baking sheet (with a silicone mat or parchment paper) or use a well greased cookie sheet (I prefer silpat!) to make sure the cookies don’t stick.
✅ Make them fancier by piping the icing on, or take the easy route (like we did!) and spread with a butter knife.
What to eat with strawberry crunch cookies (serving suggestions)
More delicious cookies to enjoy
- Banana cream pie Crumbl cookies
- Raspberry cheesecake cookies
- Crumbl key lime pie cookies
- Banana cake mix cookies
- Classic butter cookies
- See all our easy cookie recipes!
Other awesome strawberry recipes
- Strawberry fluff salad
- Strawberry lemonade cookies
- Homemade strawberry milkshake
- Strawberry pretzel salad recipe
- Fresh strawberry pie
- See all our easy strawberry recipes!
Tools we love
- Baking sheets – This set is perfect, we use them for everything from roasting, to baking, and even serving.
- Silicone baking mats – I always always always line with these, nothing sticks!
Get our FREE Easy Casseroles Ebook!
Follow us below!Use #mamalovesfood on Instagram!
How to Make Strawberry Shortcake Cookies
Strawberry Shortcake Cookies
- 1 cup salted butter softened
- 2 cups white granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons real vanilla extract
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons seedless strawberry preserves or jam
- 2 sticks salted butter softened
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- milk to thin, as desired
- 20 vanilla oreos
- 1 package strawberry jello mix 3 ounces
- ¼ cup melted butter
- In a large bowl cream together the butter and both sugars until fluffy. Beat in the egg, strawberry preserves, and vanilla.
- Add in the flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix until just combined. The dough will be very crumbly (it's supposed to be!), you can add a tablespoon of water if needed to help them form.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal portions and form each portion into a ball. Just until it comes together. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Bake the cookies for 15-18 minutes at 375°F, you want the edges to just be golden brown, so the cookies stay chewy. Allow cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a rack to cool completely.
- While cookies are cooling, use a hand mixer or stand mixer whip the butter for the frosting until fluffy. Add in the powdered sugar and beat to combine. Beat in milk a teaspoon at a time if you want the frosting thinner.
- Pipe or spread the frosting onto the cooled cookies.
- In a gallon bag crush the oreos until they are crumbs. Add the oreo crumbs, jello mix and butter to a bowl and stir to combine.
- Top the cookies with the strawberry crunch topping, pressing it gently into the frosting so it sticks.
- If you want a brighter pink or red, you can add food coloring to the dough.
- For smaller, more traditionally sized cookies, divide the dough into 24 balls and cook for less time.
- If freezing, it's best to do so before icing and topping the cookies.
Strawberry Shortcake Cookies
Click the button above to save this recipe!