Creamed spinach made with garlic, onion, heavy cream and fresh spinach is the perfect side dish for holidays or weekdays!
This easy creamed spinach recipe whips up in less than 15 minutes and easy easy enough for a Wednesday but also delicious enough for impressing your mother-in-law. Serve it with smoked pork tenderloin and homemade mashed potatoes!
Click the button above to save this recipe!
Why you’ll love this recipe!
📌 Classic flavors that are so much better when made from scratch versus canned.
📌 Easy to make – on the table in just 20 minutes.
📌 Freezable, so you can make a big batch once and enjoy it on several occasions.
Creamed Spinach Ingredients
- Oil – We’re partial to olive oil, but any mild vegetable oil will work.
- Spinach – Baby spinach is idea, but you can also use regular fresh spinach or even frozen/thawed spinach.
- Butter – Salted butter.
- Shallot – Finely diced. Red or sweet yellow onion can be substituted.
- Garlic – Fresh garlic, minced. Jarred garlic or garlic powder can be swapped in a pinch.
- Flour – All purpose flour.
- Milk and cream – Whole milk and heavy whipping cream.
- Salt and pepper – To taste.
How do you make creamed spinach? (step-by-step directions)
⭐ First, heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add the spinach in batches and cook until just wilted. Remove from skillet and set aside in a colander.
⭐ Then, add butter to the skillet. Sauté shallot in butter until translucent; add garlic and continue cooking until fragrant.
⭐ Next, stir in flour and slowly add milk and cream, stirring until thickened.
⭐ Finally, return spinach to the skillet, stir and add salt and pepper to taste.
Scroll down to the printable recipe card toward the bottom of this article for ingredient measurements and detailed cooking instructions.
Can you make homemade creamed spinach ahead of time?
This can be made a few days in advance and stored in the refrigerator. Reheat on the stove-top on low heat, or in the microwave on high heat in 30 second increments.
Stir in additional milk as needed while reheating.
Can I use frozen spinach?
Yes, this recipe can be made with baby spinach (recommended), regular fresh spinach, or frozen spinach.
If using regular fresh spinach you’ll want to chop it smaller. If using frozen spinach, squeeze out the excess liquid before using, then chop well so it is not too stringy.
How do you make it gluten free?
Swap the flour for corn starch to make this recipe gluten free. You’ll want to mix the corn starch with equal parts starch and cool water to create a slurry before adding it to the hot pot.
Leftovers and storage
How long does creamed spinach last?
Leftovers will keep for 3 – 4 days in a sealed container in the refrigerator. If the dish was kept out at room temperature longer than two hours, leftovers should be disposed of as they can harbor harmful bacteria.
Can you freeze it?
Yes, allow the spinach to cool, then put in a freezer safe sealed container. Make sure to leave headspace for expansion.
Defrost in the refrigerator and reheat on the stove-top on low heat, or in the microwave on high heat in 30 second increments. Stir in additional milk as needed while reheating.
Tips, tricks, and frequently asked questions
✅ Make it spicy creamed spinach by adding a red pepper flakes or diced jalapeno.
✅ Use corn starch instead of flour to do a gluten free version.
✅ Add cooked bacon bits or diced ham for some protein.
✅ Use canned diced water chestnuts to add a little bit of crunch!
What to eat with homemade creamed spinach (serving suggestions)
More awesome creamed vegetable recipes
Other great spinach dishes
- Jalapeno spinach dip
- Hot spinach artichoke dip
- Classic spinach vegetable dip
- Strawberry spinach salad
- Fried eggs with spinach and peppers
- See all our easy spinach recipes!
Tools we love
- Enameled cast iron pot – This pot is amazing and can be used on the stove top or in the oven. I use mine almost daily.
- White serving bowls – Love a simple serving dish! This one is perfect for holiday meals.
Get our FREE Easy Casseroles Ebook!
Follow us below!Use #mamalovesfood on Instagram!
How to Make Creamed Spinach
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 20 ounces fresh baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 shallot finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add the spinach (in batches if necessary) and cook until just wilted. Remove from skillet and set aside in a colander to allow any extra liquid to drain.
- Add the butter to the skillet with the diced shallot. Sauté until tender, just a few minutes. Add the garlic and continue cooking until fragrant, about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Sprinkle in the flour and cook, stirring, about 1 minute to remove the flour taste.
- Slowly pour in the milk and the cream, and simmer very gently, stirring, until thickened to your liking.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and stir in wilted spinach.
Click the button above to save this recipe!