Strawberry fluff is a sweet treat made with strawberry jello, cool whip, and crushed pineapple that transports me right back to childhood!
This strawberry fluff salad recipe is so quick to make and is always a hit with kids and adults alike. Serve it after a yummy dinner of chicken fajita casserole or sweet and sour Hawaiian chicken!
Click the button above to save this recipe!
Why you’ll love this strawberry fluff recipe
📌 Super quick to prepare – comes together in just 5 minutes.
📌 Delicious strawberry flavor, makes a great side dish or dessert.
📌 Classic dish reminiscent of childhood, parties, and potlucks!
Strawberry Fluff Ingredients
- Whipped topping – Like Cool Whip, thawed.
- Jello – Strawberry jello powder.
- Pineapple – Canned crushed pineapple, undrained.
- Sour cream – You can also substitute cottage cheese for the sour cream if you prefer.
- Marshmallows – Mini marshmallows, plain. Alternatively you can use the colorful fruit flavored marshmallows.
- Optional – Fresh strawberries, for topping.
How do you make strawberry fluff? (step-by-step directions)
⭐ First, thoroughly mix together the crushed pineapple and the strawberry gelatin powder.
⭐ Then, stir in the sour cream completely.
⭐ Next, gently fold in the whipped topping followed by the marshmallows.
⭐ Finally, chill until ready to serve.
Scroll down to the printable recipe card toward the bottom of this article for ingredient measurements and detailed cooking instructions.
Can you make fluff salad ahead of time?
This recipe is best when made at least a few hours ahead of time, and can be made as long as a full day in advance.
Any longer than that and you run the risk of it getting watery.
Do you have to use cool whip?
Homemade whipped cream can be used, but it works best with stabilized whipped cream/whipped topping.
If you use homemade whipped cream make sure it’s whipped to stiff peaks before stirring in and then serve immediately after preparing.
Can I add fresh strawberries?
Yes, but for best results stir diced fresh strawberries in immediately before serving so they don’t release moisture into the dish and make it watery.
Storage and leftovers
How long will strawberry fluff keep in the fridge?
Leftovers will last 3 – 4 days. After that you can still eat them (for up to a week) but they may become runny. Make sure to store covered in an air tight container.
Stir leftovers before serving, to reincorporate any separation.
Can you freeze the leftovers?
We do not recommend freezing fluff salad.
Tips, tricks, and frequently asked questions
Is it a side dish or a dessert?
In the south and midwest, this is typically served as a side dish (I guess that’s why it’s called a fluff salad!), but I’ve found in the northeast and on the west coast it’s often served as a dessert.
Can I use sour cream instead of cottage cheese?
Yes, cottage cheese is delicious in this but it can be swapped for sour cream if you prefer. You can also substitute for plain or vanilla Greek yogurt.
Nuts or no nuts?
Chopped nuts are a great addition to this kind of dish. They add a great variety of texture. Make sure to sprinkle some on top as garnish so folks know there’s nuts in it!
This is a great recipe to serve at your next party with other favorites like sherbet punch, bacon wrapped chicken bites, and jalapeno spinach dip.
If you’re serving it as a dinner side, try it after a yummy meal of spaghetti carbonara and air fryer roasted carrots.
More delicious fluff recipes
- Pineapple fluff
- Fruit salad fluff
- Cookie salad fluff
- Orange fluff salad
- Oreo fluff
- Snickers salad with apples and caramel
- Ambrosia salad
- Cherry fluff salad recipe
Other awesome strawberry recipes
- Homemade strawberry milkshake
- Strawberry pretzel salad
- Strawberry pie
- Strawberry daiquiri recipe
- Strawberry poke cake
- See all our strawberry recipes!
Tools we love
- Party bowl – This bowl is pretty, and doesn’t way a billion pounds and won’t shatter if dropped.
- Stainless and copper serving spoons – These are gorgeous!
Get our FREE Easy Casseroles Ebook!
Follow us below!Use #mamalovesfood on Instagram!
How to Make Strawberry Fluff
- 1 can crushed pineapple 20 ounces, undrained
- 6 ounces strawberry gelatin powder (like Jello)
- 16 ounces sour cream or cottage cheese
- 8 ounces whipped topping (like Cool Whip) thawed
- 3-4 cups mini marshmallows plain or fruit flavored
- Optional garnish: fresh strawberries, diced
- Thoroughly combine the crushed pineapple and the strawberry gelatin, then stir in the sour cream and mix well.
- Gently fold in the whipped topping and then the marshmallows.
- Chill for at least 1 hour before serving.
Click the button above to save this recipe!
This was fantastic! We loved the recipe and how easy it was to make too. So much strawberry flavor!!
I love strawberries. Your recipe was delicious and easy to make. It did take me back to childhood!