Today I started my second Whole30, so in celebration (woohoo!) I’m bringing back one of my stand-by grain-free breakfasts. I hope you love it as much as I do, because this Paleo Oatmeal makes a regular appearance in my mornings!
[Originally written 11/7/12] One of my favorite breakfasts has always (well, maybe not always) been a bowl of oatmeal with a hot cup of coffee. But the paleo diet says ‘NAY!’ to oatmeal. Which (((sob))). Until a few days ago when I was testing a dessert recipe that went all kinds of wrong. Well, wrong with respect to what I was going for, but so VERY right as a delicious oatmeal replacement!
Apple (un)Oatmeal Ingredients:
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil or butter
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon real vanilla extract (omit if you’re doing a Whole30)
- 1 medium/small apple, small diced
- 1 banana, thinly sliced
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- pinch of salt
- optional garnishes: additional nuts, grated coconut, fresh fruit, raisins, dried cranberries, fresh whipped cream
Apple (un)Oatmeal Directions:
- Heat coconut oil in a small saucepan or frying pan. Add cinnamon and vanilla, mix well.
- Stir in banana and apple and cook over medium/low heat for 5-10 minutes, stirring once or twice, until bananas liquefy and apple is softened.
- Stir in slivered almonds and add salt (unless you used salted butter, then you can skip this step).
- Top with your choice of garnishes and enjoy!