Loaded Baked Potato Soup Recipe for the Crock Pot Slow Cooker is the best way to make simple creamy potato soup, and with no milk or cream!
Baked potato soup is one of the few soups I can eat all year long – even on the hottest days of summer. Oh, who are we kidding. I eat all the soups all year long.
But this loaded potato soup made in the crock pot is on point. And even moreso when it’s a cold and wet January day like today. Which, in Florida we get very few of. Which is why I eat soup all year long. I’m not waiting for that one day of the year!
Our Slow Cooker Baked Potato Soup is made with cream cheese instead of heavy cream, which gives a rich full and super delicious flavor. A crock pot loaded baked potato soup without heavy cream isn’t easy to find but, we’ve done it and done it well here.
This recipe is my husband’s absolute favorite and if I dare ask what he’d like for virtually any special occasion, it’s this (and a cookie cake)!
Before we get to baked potato soup recipe, here are answers to the most frequently asked questions:
- This is the slow cooker I use (and it’s a tight fit): Crock Pot 7 Quart Slow Cooker.
- You could also use this super fantastic 6 quart instant pot. On pressure cooker mode (15 minutes manual), or on slow cooker mode. Just use a little bit less liquid so it all fits! Instant Pot 6 Quart Electric Pressure Cooker
- This is the immersion blender I use and it’s probably my favorite kitchen gadget: Cuisinart Immersion Blender.
- Yes, you can make this on the stove-top.
- You can use regular or low fat cream cheese, but not fat-free.
- No, I don’t think it’s too much garlic.
- No, I don’t think it’s too much onion.
- No, you really don’t need to peel the potatoes.
- Yes, you can freeze this, we always freeze half for another day!
Hope that helps and feel free to leave a comment below if you have other questions or concerns!
This Loaded Baked Potato Soup recipe is my most popular recipe to date (although French Dip Crescent Rolls are a very close second!). It’s also my husband’s very favorite dish.
Often times I’ll throw in some pre-cooked chicken breast at the end to make it a full meal.
Did you know you can freeze baked potato soup! Even with the cream cheese! True story!
When you defrost your baked potato soup, the cream cheese may have separated a little bit, but just heat it up slowly (don’t boil or it may scald) and every thing will come right back together. YUM.
How do I make simple potato soup?
I don’t think potato soup gets a whole lot simpler than this. We use potatoes, onion, garlic, cream cheese, and chicken stock as the base.
How do you make creamy potato soup?
If you blend a small amount of the potatoes from your potato soup and reincorporate them, that will help make your soup creamier. We also use cream cheese at the end, but no heavy cream!
How do you make loaded potato soup?
The loaded part comes at the end when you load all your baked potato style toppings onto your bowl of soup. We suggest shredded cheese, bacon, and chives!
Is potato soup good for you?
That wholly depends on what diet you’re following. Unlike many potato soups, ours does not use flour as a thickening agent, so it’s totally grain and gluten free. If you’re vegetarian you can sub the chicken stock for vegetable stock and skip the bacon. And if you’re strict paleo, try substituting a thick cashew cream for the cream cheese!
If you love our Slow Cooker Baked Potato Soup recipe, make sure to check out these other crock pot soup recipes!
- Corn and Potato Chowder for the Slow Cooker – Corn and potato chowder is so filling and delicious! This one is a copycat Harry and David recipe, but it’s so much better than the original!
- Crock Pot Tortilla Soup – My mom’s famous tortilla soup! But made better, and in the crock pot so it’s no muss, no fuss.
- Slow Cooker Cabbage Soup – This cabbage soup is great on it’s own, or use it as a base for so many other delicious and simple soup recipes.
- Slow Cooker Sausage and Potato Soup – You’re going to love the hack we use for this sausage and potato soup. It makes preparation an absolute breeze!
- Slow Cooker Tuscan Tortellini Soup – A little taste of Italy for dinner? Yes please. This Tuscan soup is a crowd pleaser for sure.
- Split Pea Soup for the Crock Pot – Looking for something to do with all that leftover holiday ham? This simple split pea soup recipe is the perfect solution.
Shop our Amazon affiliate links for items featured or used in this potato soup recipe:
- 7 quart slow cooker – this is the perfect sized slow cooker for a large family or for feeding guests!
- Immersion blender – likely the most used kitchen tool in my entire home, I break our stick blender out almost every day.
- Giant soup bowls – I feel like these need no introduction. I love a big bowl.
- Large glass measuring/pouring cups – it took me way too long to invest in decent measuring tools!
- Stainless steel measuring spoons – love that these won’t melt in the dishwasher.
Funny story. Several years ago I was on a playdate with two of my girlfriends and we had all packed lunches. One gal pulls out her tupperware of loaded baked potato soup and starts raving about it. Friend Two chimes in and says “Oh is that from Mama Loves Food?” “I made it last week and we all loved it!”
I start laughing and they both look at me like I’m mad. I said, did you look at the picture of the girl on the website? “No… why? Is it scandalous?!” I told them to look when they got home later.
Needless to say, I got some funny texts later asking if I was famous. Spoiler alert: I’m not. At all. Haha!
Slow Cooker Baked Potato Soup
- 5 pounds russet potatoes washed but NOT peeled. Diced into 1/2 inch(ish) cubes
- 1 medium/large yellow onion diced
- 10 cloves of garlic minced
- 64 ounces 8 cups chicken stock or broth
- 16 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 tablespoon seasoned salt
- optional garnishes: crumbled bacon shredded cheese, green onions
Add potatoes, onion, garlic, seasoning, and chicken stock to slow cooker.
Cook on high for 6 hours or low for 10 hours.
Add the softened cream cheese and puree soup with an immersion blender until the cheese is incorporated and about half the soup is blended. (Alternately you could remove half the soup and the cream cheese to an upright blender, then re-incorporate).
Stir well, top with your choice of garnishes & enjoy!
Yields about 10-12 servings.
inspired by: Stephanie O’Dea
Do you love slow cooker soup recipes?
Then be sure to check out these other favorites!Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup
Slow Cooker Baked Potato Soup Ingredients:
- 5 pounds russet potatoes, washed but NOT peeled. Diced into 1/2 inch(ish) cubes
- 1 medium/large yellow onion, diced
- 10 cloves of garlic, minced
- 64 ounces (8 cups) chicken stock or broth
- 16 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon seasoned salt
- optional garnishes: crumbled bacon, shredded cheese, green onions
Slow Cooker Baked Potato Soup Directions:
- Add potatoes, onion, garlic, seasoning, and chicken stock to slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 6 hours or low for 10 hours.
- Add the softened cream cheese and puree soup with an immersion blender until the cheese is incorporated and about half the soup is blended. (Alternately you could remove half the soup and the cream cheese to an upright blender, then re-incorporate).
- Stir well, top with your choice of garnishes & enjoy!
Yields about 10-12 servings.
originally published 06-2009