Loaded Baked Potato Soup Recipe for the Crock Pot Slow Cooker is the best way to make simple creamy potato soup, and with no milk or cream!
Our Slow Cooker Baked Potato Soup is made with cream cheese instead of heavy cream, which gives a rich full and super delicious flavor. A crock pot loaded baked potato soup without heavy cream isn’t easy to find but, we’ve done it and done it well here.
This recipe is my husband’s absolute favorite and if I dare ask what he’d like for virtually any special occasion, it’s this (and a cookie cake)!
Before we get to the recipe, here are answers to the most frequently asked questions:
- This is the slow cooker I use (and it’s a tight fit): Crock Pot 7 Quart Slow Cooker.
- This is the immersion blender I use and it’s probably my favorite kitchen gadget: Cuisinart Immersion Blender.
- Yes, you can make this on the stove-top.
- You can use regular or low fat cream cheese, but not fat-free.
- No, I don’t think it’s too much garlic.
- No, I don’t think it’s too much onion.
- No, you really don’t need to peel the potatoes.
- Yes, you can freeze this, we always freeze half for another day!
Hope that helps and don’t hesitate to shoot me an email if you have other questions or concerns!
This Loaded Baked Potato Soup recipe is my most popular recipe to date (although French Dip Crescent Rolls are a very close second!). It’s also my husband’s very favorite dish.
Often times I’ll throw in some pre-cooked chicken breast at the end to make it a full meal.
Funny story. Several years ago I was on a playdate with two of my girlfriends and we had all packed lunches. One gal pulls out her tupperware of loaded baked potato soup and starts raving about it. Friend Two chimes in and says “Oh is that from Mama Loves Food?” “I made it last week and we all loved it!”
I start laughing and they both look at me like I’m mad. I said, did you look at the picture of the girl on the website? “No… why? Is it scandalous?!” I told them to look when they got home later.
Needless to say, I got some funny texts later asking if I was famous. Spoiler alert: I’m not. At all. Haha!
Did you know you can freeze baked potato soup! Even with the cream cheese! When you defrost your baked potato soup, the cream cheese may have separated a little bit, but just heat it up slowly (don’t boil or it may scald) and every thing will come right back together. YUM.
Shop our Amazon affiliate links for your slow cooker needs!
- 7 quart slow cooker
- Immersion blender
- Giant soup bowls
- Large glass measuring/pouring cups
- Stainless steel measuring spoons
Slow Cooker Baked Potato Soup Ingredients:
- 5 pounds russet potatoes, washed but NOT peeled. Diced into 1/2 inch(ish) cubes
- 1 medium/large yellow onion, diced
- 10 cloves of garlic, minced
- 64 ounces (8 cups) chicken stock or broth
- 16 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon seasoned salt
- optional garnishes: crumbled bacon, shredded cheese, green onions
Slow Cooker Baked Potato Soup Directions:
- Add potatoes, onion, garlic, seasoning, and chicken stock to slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 6 hours or low for 10 hours.
- Add the softened cream cheese and puree soup with an immersion blender until the cheese is incorporated and about half the soup is blended. (Alternately you could remove half the soup and the cream cheese to an upright blender, then re-incorporate).
- Stir well, top with your choice of garnishes & enjoy!
Yields about 10-12 servings.
inspired by: Stephanie O’Dea
Do you love slow cooker soup recipes?
Then be sure to check out these other favorites!Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup
originally published 06-2009