The Best Flank Steak Marinade recipe is exactly what you need to make the perfect easy fajitas. Add this simple recipe to your family meal plan today!
I’ve had flank steak at friends’ homes and in restaurants before, but have never attempted it myself. Until yesterday. Because experimenting to try and make the best flank steak marinade on a house full of guests is always the way to go.
Right? This recipe is bits and pieces of about a half dozen different recipes I found and liked around the internet. Plus, a little bit of my very own love.
This is awesome by itself, but would also taste fantastic in fajitas!
UPDATE: This post originally appeared in 2011, but I’m giving it a refresher because it’s summer and yay for flank steak! I still love this recipe – my favorite way to eat it is in a fajita bowl with grilled peppers and fresh guacamole!
How long do you have to marinate flank steak?
I recommend 24 hours in the refrigerator, but if you can’t do it for that long, don’t let that stop you from enjoying a good marinated flank steak. You can do a quick flank steak marinade, but the shorter the marinade time, the more basting you’ll want to do.
How long do you cook flank steak?
How long to cook any steak is super subjective. But a good starting place is about 3 – 5 minutes on each side over a medium heat grill.
Is the flank steak a tender meat?
Flank steak can be on the tough side if you don’t know the tricks. First, the longer you marinate it, the more tender it will become. And second, you always want to cut against (perpendicular to) the grain. Do these things and you’ll have a deliciously tender flank steak!
Shop our Amazon affiliate links for your grilling needs!
- Outdoor propane and charcoal grills – you guys, we grill every. single. week. Sometimes multiple times in a week! I used to be a total charcoal grill snob, but now I know that propane has it’s time and place. Like Tuesday evening after soccer when you just don’t have 45 minutes to get charcoal going!
- Lodge Pre-Seasoned Cast-Iron Skillet – cast iron doesn’t have to be expensive to be beautiful. Use it on your grill, on your stove top or in your oven!
- Lodge Cast-Iron Reversible Grill/Griddle – my husband got this for me a few Christmases ago and I have since bought a second. I keep one on the grill (oh em gee, perfect sear) and one in the oven (see also: perfect sear).
- Chefs Basics 18-Piece Stainless-Steel Barbecue Set – we all need the right grill tools. Yes, yes we do.
Looking for more amazing steak goodness? Check out these other recipes by Mama Loves Food:
- How to Broil a Perfect Flank or Skirt Steak – Weather’s not right for grilling (as if that’s really a thing), no worries! Check out our simple guide for making a delicious flank steak in the oven!
- How to Make a Restaurant Style Steak – Ever wonder how restaurants get those steaks *just right*? Hint, it’s usually not on a grill!
- Chimichurri Grilled Skirt or Flank Steak – Once you’ve mastered the perfect grilled steak, you’re going to need something fabulous to serve it with. This chimichurri sauce is out of this world!
- Oven Roasted Steak Fries – And what’s a steak without some potato by its side? These oven roasted steak fries are amazing because you don’t even have to flip them. Say, what?!
The BEST Flank Steak Marinade Ingredients:
- 1 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons stone ground mustard (dry mustard works if you’re in a pinch)
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tablespoon onion powder
- 3 pounds flank steak
The BEST Flank Steak Marinade and Grilling Directions:
- Add all ingredients except flank steak to blender and run until smooth, reserve 1 cup for basting and dipping.
- Pour remaining marinade over steak and refrigerate in a shallow pan or ziploc bag for at LEAST 24 hours. (I like to freeze mine in the marinade for later!)
- Cook on a medium heat grill, basting continually, for 3 – 5 minutes on each side, or until you reach desired doneness. (This can also be done under the broiler in your oven).
- Allow to rest 2 minutes before cutting.
Don’t wait in long restaurant lines this Valentine’s day. Impress your date by making a perfect restaurant style steak at home!
What to do with all that leftover steak (hahahahah), no but really – this perfect steak sandwich will have you making steaks JUST for the sandwich. It’s *that* good.
Uh oh, did you run out of charcoal or propane? Is the grill buried under a foot of snow? Not to worry, we’ll show you how to make a great flank steak or skirt steak in the oven!