This Cranberry Upside Down Cake is only two basic ingredients and is a beautiful and simple recipe for your holiday dinner menu.
Cranberry Upside Down Cake – what do you do when cranberry sauce and cake mix go on sale at the same time? Well you make this cake, of course. Perfect for Thanksgiving, Christmas, or next Tuesday!
Cranberry Upside Down Cake
Cranberry Upside Down Cake Ingredients
- Vanilla cake mix – batter prepared per box directions.
- Whole berry cranberry sauce – I do not suggest using the jellied version of cranberry sauce as you will not get the same result. You can use canned or home made cranberry sauce.
- Glaze ingredients – Whole milk, melted butter, real vanilla extract, powdered sugar
How Do You Make Cranberry Upside Down Cake
Preparing the Cake
⭐ First, dump cranberry sauce into a bowl and give it a good mash (this is a great step for little helpers). You just want to break it up a bit so it’s not so can-shaped.
⭐ Next, pour mashed cranberry sauce into greased baking pan and spread it about evenly. Do the same for the cake batter, right over top of the cranberry sauce.
⭐ Then, bake at until a toothpick comes out clean and place on a cooling rack.
⭐ Finally, when cooled, turn out onto a cake platter.
Preparing the Glaze
First, combine milk, butter, and vanilla in a bowl or small cup.
Then, pour the liquid slowly into the sugar, stirring constantly until desired consistency is reached. I like mine thick, but maybe you like a more drizzly drizzle?
Finally, drizzle glaze over cake and allow it to set before serving.
Tips and Tricks
If you use a bundt cake pan for your cranberry upside down cake, I strongly suggest a pan release with flour in it. You can easily make our three ingredient cooking spray alternative.
Or you can cheat and buy a pan release spray at the market. Just make sure it’s one that contains flour!
To make the cake taste more like a bakery cake, make these easy changes to the batter: substitute the oil for melted butter, the water for whole milk, and add an extra egg!
More Cake Recipes
Chocolate Overload 5 Layer Cake – Start with a box cake mix, and finish with a glorious tower of chocolaty cake goodness.
Easy Cinnamon Mug Cake – Careful, this cinnamon mug cake is ridiculously easy and ridiculously delicious. And you probably have all the ingredients in your pantry!
Spiced Apple Cider Cake – Top this spiced apple cider cake with some salted caramel frosting and don’t share.
Candy Bar Stuffed Texas Sheet Cake – Who’s still got a bag of candy bars in the back of the cabinet from Halloween? /raises hand/ This candy bar stuffed cake is the perfect way to finish them off!
More Holiday Recipe Ideas
Love this recipe? Join Us For More!
Follow us below!Use #mamalovesfood on Instagram!
How To Make Cranberry Upside Down Cake
Cranberry Upside Down Cake
- 1 box vanilla cake mix batter prepared
- 1 can whole berry cranberry sauce
- optional glaze ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon real vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Dump cranberry sauce into a bowl and give it a good mash (this is a great step for little helpers). You just want to break it up a bit so it's not so can-shaped.
- Pour mashed cranberry sauce into baking pan and spread it about evenly. Do the same for the cake batter, right over top of the cranberry sauce.
- Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 50 minutes (until a toothpick comes out clean). Place on a cooling rack.
- While the cake is taking a breather, make the glaze by combining milk, butter, and vanilla in a bowl or small cup. Pour slowly into the sugar, stirring constantly until desired consistency is reached. I like mine thick, but maybe you like a more drizzly drizzle? Now find your gaudiest of cake platters and ready it for a grand job. (i.e. rinse off the dust).
- Now, after loosening the edges of your cake with a knife, place the cake platter (or plate!) on top of the cake and do a little flippity floppity bippity boppity.
- Once things are all set right (I'll give you a minute...) get all artsy dartsy and drizzle your shizzle. Er, I mean. Drizzle the vanilla sugar icing neatly (hah!) over top of the cake.
- And... ENJOY!
If you love a holiday cake, make sure to try our easy apple bundt cake next!
Originally published 11-10-14