Hot Chocolate Muddy Buddies Puppy Chow is a sure fire hit for the holidays. Makes a great teacher gift or party snack!
I was first introduced to Muddy Buddies by my mother-in-law, when she handed me a bowl and said, “here, I made you some Puppy Chow!” A few thoughts ran through my head — Is she calling me a dog??? Does she think I have a dog???
And then she popped some in her mouth and I realized it was just a really awful name for some delicious holiday treats. Phew. Make yours along with some ginger cookies, peppermint brownies, and peanut butter cookies!
Hot Cocoa Muddy Buddies (Puppy Chow)
Hot Cocoa Muddy Buddies Ingredients
- Milk chocolate chips – You can also use semi-sweet chocolate chips or even white chocolate chips.
- Chex cereal – We used corn Chex, but any of the Chex cereals will work.
- Hot cocoa powder mix – Choose your favorite brand! The ones with the dehydrated marshmallows are fun because it feels even more like hot cocoa.
How do you make hot cocoa puppy chow? (step-by-step)
⭐ First, in a large microwave safe bowl, melt chocolate chips.
⭐ Next, pour cereal into bowl and stir until everything is coated with chocolate (this will seem impossible at first, but it does eventually work!)
⭐ Then, pour hot cocoa powder into a gallon Ziploc bag, then pour the chocolate coated cereal, then the remaining hot cocoa powder.
⭐ Finally, shake the bag until everything is coated. Store in a sealed container in a cool dry place and ENJOY!
Can you make hot chocolate puppy chow ahead of time?
Yes, this recipe will stay good, if kept at room temperature stored in an airtight container, for up to a week. (But good luck not eating it faster than that!). They make a great holiday gift.
What’s the best way to melt the chocolate for hot chocolate puppy chow?
My mother-in-law will tell you to use a double broiler (and she’s probably right), but honestly, I prefer to use the microwave on high in 15 – 30 second increments (lessen the time the more warm/melted it gets, and stir well in-between zaps).
Leftovers and storage
How long does hot chocolate muddy buddies last?
In my house? Maybe an afternoon. Kidding, I know what you meant! These will keep at room temperature in a sealed container for up to a week. I do not suggest refrigeration.
Can you freeze hot cocoa puppy chow (muddy buddies)?
For sure! Freeze in an airtight container for 2 – 3 months. When fully defrosted you will probably want to dust them with a little extra powdered sugar hot chocolate powder to bring them back to their former glory.
Frequently asked questions
What is hot cocoa puppy chow?
Puppy chow is a dessert snack typically made with Chex cereal, peanut butter, chocolate, and powdered sugar. (We changed up our ingredients a little in this version).
It’s called puppy chow because it looks an awful lot like dog food. Fun fact, Chex was originally made by Ralston Purina, the maker of Purina dog food!
According to Wikipedia, puppy chow is also called muddy buddies, monkey munch, muddy munch, reindeer chow, or doggy bag. Although, I’ve personally only heard the first two.
Is puppy chow a midwest thing?
I believe it is! This Florida girl had never heard of puppy chow or muddy buddies until my midwestern raised mother in law served it one Christmas. Now it’s a staple in our house.
Is hot cocoa puppy chow gluten free?
This recipe, as written, is gluten free IF you use a gluten free hot cocoa mix. Please always double check each ingredient that you add to a recipe to be sure.
How many cups are in a box of Chex cereal?
A 12 ounce box of Chex contains roughly 11 cups of cereal.
Is hot chocolate puppy chow safe for dogs?
NO! Please do not feed this to your animals, it is meant for human consumption only.
Tips and tricks
🍫 Keep shaking the bag a few minutes after it seems like everything’s covered with cocoa powder and make sure to manipulate the bag a lot to make sure you really do get full coverage.
🍫 If you melt the chocolate in the microwave, do it in short time increments, stirring in-between, to avoid scorching the chocolate.
🍫 Enjoy with a cup of peppermint mocha for maximum holiday joy.
What to eat with hot chocolate muddy buddies (serving suggestions)
Hot Chocolate Muddy Buddies are a total holiday treat, so we tend to serve it with holiday fixings! Try them after (or before!) a holiday meal of classic meatloaf or crock pot ham with a side of vegetable beef soup and mashed potatoes. Don’t forget the Au Jus for your meatloaf!
More holiday treats
Tools for Making Hot Chocolate Muddy Buddies
- Glass Mixing Bowl – Perfect for melting chocolate in the microwave or as a double boiler. (I’m partial to the microwave).
- Gallon Bags – These work well for shaking all the ingredients together without making a big powdery mess.
- Bakers half sheet – It’s cool, we only have about six of these bakers half sheets because they’re good for absolutely everything. Cookies? Yes! Steak? Yes! Cake? Oh yeh! Roasted veggies? Uhhhh huh!
- Holiday Treat Bags – Use these to share your Hot Chocolate Muddy Buddies with friends and neighbors!
How to Make Hot Chocolate Muddy Buddies
Hot Chocolate Muddy Buddies
- 12 ounce bag of milk chocolate chips
- 12 ounce box of Chex cereal I used corn, but any variety will work
- 2 cups hot cocoa powder mix approximately 10 packets
- In a large microwave safe bowl, melt chocolate chips (use 20 second increments and stir in between).
- Pour cereal into bowl and stir until everything is coated with chocolate (this will seem impossible at first, but it does eventually work!)
- Pour 1 cup hot cocoa powder into a gallon Ziploc bag, then pour the chocolate coated cereal, then the remaining 1 cup of hot cocoa powder.
- Shake the bag until everything is coated. Store in a sealed container in a cool dry place and ENJOY!
Hot Cocoa Muddy Buddies originally appeared as a partnered campaign with Ziploc® and Chex® 12.19.15. Recipes and opinions belong to Mama Loves Food.