Hot Chocolate Cocoa Muddy Buddies Puppy Chow Recipe is a sure fire hit for the holidays. Makes a great teacher gift or party snack!
I was first introduced to Muddy Buddies by my mother-in-law (then boyfriend’s mom), when she handed me a bowl and said, “here, I made you some Puppy Chow!” A few thoughts ran through my head — Is she calling me a dog??? Does she think I have a dog??? What am I supposed to do with this?! — and then she popped some in her mouth and I quickly realized it was just a really awful name for some delicious holiday treats. Phew.
She made the classic version of Muddy Buddies (I refuse to call it Puppy Chow) with chocolate and peanut butter, but today I decided to change things up a bit. A few months ago when we got our first whispers of cool air, I bought a giant box of hot cocoa mix. Sadly, the weather was just playing cruel tricks and it never actually got cold. (Seriously, it was 88 degrees on Wednesday). So, when I was rifling through the pantry looking for Muddy Buddy inspiration, the hot cocoa jumped out and said ME, ME! (Not literally, I haven’t actually lost my mind yet).
These came out so good that I had to give most of the bag to my sitter to take home to her family because the kids and I could not control ourselves. Every time we walked past the bag we would graze a handful. Dangerous! But ooooh, so delicious!!!
Hot Cocoa Muddy Buddies, Ingredients:
- 12 ounce bag of milk chocolate chips
- 12 ounce box of Chex cereal (I used corn, but any variety will work)
- 2 cups hot cocoa powder mix (approximately 10 packets)
Hot Cocoa Muddy Buddies, Directions:
- In a large microwave safe bowl, melt chocolate chips (use 20 second increments and stir in between).
- Pour cereal into bowl and stir until everything is coated with chocolate (this will seem impossible at first, but it does eventually work!)
- Pour 1 cup hot cocoa powder into a gallon Ziploc bag, then pour the chocolate coated cereal, then the remaining 1 cup of hot cocoa powder.
- Shake the bag until everything is coated. Store in a sealed container in a cool dry place and ENJOY!
This Hot Cocoa Muddy Buddies recipe was originally a partnered campaign with Ziploc® and Chex® – Mama Loves Food only works with brands we love! All opinions and recipes are mine alone. #mixexchangelove