Pecan Pie is a classic holiday recipe and this is the BEST Pecan Pie recipe you’ll ever try.
This Pecan Pie Recipe is my brother in law’s favorite pie, and I have to admit it’s one of my favorites as well. The best pecan pie is one made with love, and also the ingredients in our recipe. Try it, you definitely won’t regret it!
Pecan Pie Recipe
Pecan Pie Recipe Ingredients
- Pie shell – I like to use a pre-made refrigerated pie shell but if you have a great pie crust recipe and the time to make it, then by all means!
- Sugar – Regular white granulated sugar. Nothing fancy to see here.
- Corn syrup – We use a light Karo syrup for this pecan pie recipe.
- Eggs – Eggs will help bind everything together and give it the delicious custard flavor on the inside of the pie.
- Vanilla extract – Make sure you’re using real vanilla extract and not imitation vanilla.
- Pecans – It wouldn’t be pecan pie without the pecans!
How Do You Make Pecan Pie Recipe
★ First, put pie shell in pie dish and prick with a fork all over. We prefer a glass dish as I find it bakes more evenly.
★ Then, bake the pie shell for 5 minutes and allow it to cool completely.
★ While the pie shell is cooling, combine sugar, corn syrup, vanilla, salt and eggs in a large bowl and stir with an electric mixer until thoroughly mixed.
★ Next, fold in the pecans.
★ Finally, pour the pie mixture into pie shell and bake for approximately 45 minutes. Pie will set as it cools.
What’s the Best Pecan Pie Recipe
The best pecan pie recipe is made with karo syrup. I love the flavor light karo corn syrup creates in a pecan pie. It’s what I grew up with and is, obviously, the only acceptable way.
To make the best pecan pie it’s also important to chop up your pecans before adding them to the filling. This makes sure that you get lots of delicious pecan flavor in every single bite.
Do You Bake the Crust First for Pecan Pie
We bake the crust first for pecan pie. Just a short five minute bake before adding the filling.
The reason we bake the crust first for pecan pie is because the filling is very wet and can cause a soggy crust if you do not to a parbake.
How to Tell When Pecan Pie is Done
Pecan pie is done at the first signs of solidity in the center of the pie. The center of the pie should not jiggle and a toothpick inserted in the middle will come out clean.
The pie will not be set completely when it is removed from the oven so be careful not to over bake – it will continue to set as it cools.
If you prefer to do a temperature reading, the internal temperature of a pecan pie will be 200 degrees Farenheit when done.
Can Pecan Pie Be Made a Day Ahead
Pecan pie can be made a day ahead. I actually prefer to make mine a day or two ahead and then put it in the warm (but not on) oven after the dinner is done to heat up a bit for dessert.
You can also serve pecan pie cold if you like.
Can Pecan Pie Be Frozen
Pecan pie can be frozen. To freeze, allow the pie to cool completely, then wrap tightly and place in the freezer. In an upright freezer a pecan pie will last one to three months, in a chest freezer it will last up to six months.
To thaw a pecan pie, place it in the fridge overnight to thaw slowly or heat up in a 350 degree oven for 20 to 30 minutes.
Is Pecan Pie Gluten Free
Pecan pie filling is gluten free and pecan pie is gluten free if you use a gluten free crust. Pecan pie is also dairy free and can be made grain free if you use a grain free pie crust.
Pecan pie is not keto, low carb, or paleo.
Pecan Pie Recipe Tips
★ Do not over bake because the center is not fully set when you remove it from the oven. The center should not jiggle, but it also will not be firm. The pie will continue to set after it cools.
★ If your pie crust is browning too quickly, cover the edges with foil to prevent burning.
★ Try making your pecan pie ahead of time and keeping it in the fridge or freezer to save time on your busy day.
★ Use a food processor to chop the nuts easily.
What to Serve with Pecan Pie
Pecan pie is a total holiday treat, so we tend to serve it with holiday fixings!
More Like Pecan Pie Recipe
Tools we love
- Pie plate – I love these sturdy glass pie plates, they’re the go-to in our home. Also awesome, that they come in a 2-pack and are super reasonably priced!
- Electric mixer – I love love love love love (x’s 100) my stand mixer. Really and truly. But my daily work horse is this handheld electric mixer. It even comes in allll the colors. Which, yay!
- Ninja blender – Confession: I used the food processor attachment to chop the nuts. Easy peasy.
How to Make an Easy Pecan Pie Recipe
Pecan Pie Recipe
- 9 inch refrigerated pie shell
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
- 1 cup smashed pecans
- a dash of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Put pie shell in pie dish (preferably glass) and prick with a fork all over.
- Bake shell for 5 minutes and allow to cool
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, corn syrup, vanilla, salt and eggs and stir with an electric mixer until thoroughly mixed. Fold in pecans.
- Pour mixture into pie shell and bake for approximately 45 minutes, do not over bake, pie will set as it cools.
What does pecan pie look like when it's done?
Pecan pie is done as soon as the center shows firmness. When a toothpick inserted in the center, it should come out clean and the pie should not jiggle. The internal temp of a baked pecan pie is 200F.
How jiggly should a pecan pie be?
It should not be excessively jiggly when fully baked. There should be slight movement, but not jiggle.
How far in advance can I make pecan pie
You can bake the pie up to a day in advance and keep it at room temperature, up to three days in advance and keep it in the refrigerator, or up to three months in advance and keep it in the freezer.