Scotcheroos are a no bake peanut butter rice krispie treat with butterscotch, chocolate, peanut butter, & corn syrup. Sweet chewy perfection!
This scotcheroos recipe makes the most delicious dessert cereal bars! Perfect for your next holiday get together or school bake sale. Make them along with other favorites like cosmic brownies and sprinkle cookies!
Click the button above to save this recipe!
- Crispy rice cereal – Also called puffed rice cereal. Like Rice Krispies, but generic brand works fine too!
- Corn syrup – Light corn syrup.
- Sugar – White granulated.
- Peanut butter – We used creamy peanut butter, you could also use crunchy.
- Chocolate chips – Milk chocolate.
- Butterscotch chips – Usually found near the chocolate chips in the baking aisle.
How do you make scotcheroos? (step-by-step)
⭐ First, heat sugar and corn syrup in a saucepan, stir constantly. Remove from heat and whisk in the peanut butter.
⭐ Then, pour the peanut butter and sugar mixture into the cereal and mix well working quickly. Press the krispy cereal mixture into a prepared pan (line with parchment or use cooking spray).
⭐ Next, melt the chocolate chips and butterscotch chips together. Finally, spread the melted chocolate over the rice krispies mixture.
⭐ Finally, allow to cool completely and set before removing from pan and cutting.
Scotcheroos or Scotcharoos?
I learned to spell it with an ‘e’ rather than an ‘a’, but according to the internet either way is correct. Tell me in the comments how you spell it!
Can you make scotcheroos ahead of time?
Yes! These are great to make ahead of time. You can do them a few days and stash in an airtight container, or up to several month if kept in the freezer.
What kind of peanut butter for scotcheroos?
We typically use regular creamy peanut butter but you could also use crunchy if you want some extra texture.
If you use natural peanut butter, make sure it’s very well stirred and there is no oil separation before adding it to the recipe.
What kind of chocolate chips in scotcheroos?
Milk chocolate chips + butterscotch chips are what the recipe calls for, but you can definitely play with this. Try semi sweet chocolate, or dark chocolate. Maybe even white chocolate!
Leftovers and storage
How do you store scotcharoos?
If you’re going to eat them quickly, they can be kept in a sealed air tight container at room temperature. Any longer than that and you’ll want to put them in the refrigerator or freezer.
If you refrigerate them, you’ll want to let them come back up to room temp before eating or they will be hard to bite into.
How long do scotcheroos last?
Well, in our house about an afternoon, but if we’re talking theoretically, you can keep them at room temperature for 2 – 3 days, in the refrigerator for about a week, or longer in the freezer.
Can you freeze scotcheroos?
Yes, they can be frozen. Allow to set in the refrigerator, then wrap tightly and store in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator, and then unwrap and move to a sealed container at room temperature before serving for best results.
Tips, tricks, and frequently asked questions
What are scotcheroo bars?
They are a peanut butter variation of the traditional rice krispie treats but made with corn syrup instead of marshmallows as a binder. The original recipe appeared on the back of cereal boxes!
Why are they called scotcheroos?
They’re named as such for their butterscotch flavor!
How do you keep scotcheroo bars from getting too hard?
There are usually two potential culprits – first, if you let the corn syrup mixture boil, it will harden when it sets. Make sure to remove the corn syrup mixture from the heat as soon as it begins to simmer or you risk making the end result super hard.
Second, bars that are cold tend to be harder. Thankfully if this is what’s going on, you just need to let them come to room temperature and they’ll soften up again.
Can I use a different cereal in scotcheroos?
For sure! Any cereal that’s on the plain side will work. Some ideas are: Chex, Cornflakes, Captain Crunch, Kix, or Cheerios.
What to eat with scotcharoos (serving suggestions)
This is a bake sale favorite around here, so we typically serve them up along with our sugar cookie recipe, some monster cookies, and muddy buddies! Do you have any bake sale faves from when you were a kid?
More dessert bar recipes
- Monster cookie bars
- Rice krispies treats
- 7 layer bars
- Sugar cookie bars
- Lemon bar recipe
- Salted caramel chocolate shortbread bars
- See all our dessert bar recipes!
Other recipes with rice krispies
Tools we love
- Ceramic bakeware set – This baking dish set is gorgeous and has all the size casserole dishes you’ll ever need!
- Large spatula – No one wants a small portion!
Get our FREE Easy Casseroles Ebook!
Follow us below!Use #mamalovesfood on Instagram!
How to Make Scotcharoos
- 6 cups puffed rice cereal (like Rice Krispies)
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- Heat corn syrup and sugar in a medium saucepan. As soon as the mixture comes to a simmer, remove from heat and whisk in the peanut butter until smooth.
- (This can also be done in the microwave using a microwave safe bowl in 20 - 30 second increments, stirring in-between, until sugar is fully dissolved into corn syrup).
- Pour the peanut butter and sugar mixture into the Rice Krispies and mix well. Work quickly, it stiffens as it cools.
- Press the cereal mixture into a parchment lined 9x13 inch casserole dish.
- Melt the milk chocolate chips and the butterscotch chips together with a double boiler, or in the microwave in 20 - 30 second increments, stirring each time, until completely melted.
- Spread the melted chocolate over the cereal mixture.
- Let set & cool completely before removing from pan and cutting.
Click the button above to save this recipe!