Lemon cookies are a delicious and quick treat to make! We use cake mix for a super simple recipe.
Growing up, I went to the movies with my dad nearly every weekend, and in law school my buddy Omar and I continued the tradition. Sadly, hubby doesn’t see the magic of sitting in a theater, so movie weekends went by the wayside after we were married. But as genetics will do, it turns out my kids love movies just like me!We’ve worked out an awesome compromise – since it’s hard to wrangle (and pay for!) five small kids in a theater, we bought a projector and do movie nights at home, usually on our big patio.
We order pizza and make movie inspired snacks and treats. So, naturally I was completely stoked when the opportunity to work with Disney’s Big Hero 6 came about!
The characters in Big Hero 6 both look like, and are named after food, so we made Lemon Cookies after Honey Lemon, Baymax marshmallows (for roasting at the table!), and Wasabi Pea snack mix after Wasabi.
I grabbed the ingredients and movie on a quick run to Target, threw in some pennants, character inspired balloons – and we had ourselves an instant Big Hero 6 movie screening party!
More recipes like Lemon Cookies
Lemon Cookies making tools
- Bakers half sheet – It’s cool, we only have about six of these bakers half sheets because they’re good for absolutely everything. Cookies? Yes! Steak? Yes! Cake? Oh yeh! Roasted veggies? Uhhhh huh!
- Silicone baking mats – Nothing sticks to these! Whaaaa?! Perfect for baking sugary cookies, or cheesy croissants. You know why? Because nothing sticks to these!!!
- Cookie stamps – I don’t make a whole lot of cookies, but when I do, we love to pull out our cookie stamps! If you’re making shortbread style cookies that don’t spread, you can stamp them beforehand. If you’re making more traditional cookies, stamp them as soon as they come out of the oven while they’re still soft and hot!
How to make Lemon Cookies
- 1 box lemon cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup mild olive oil
- 4 tablespoons butter melted
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon pure lemon extract
- 1/2 - 1 cup confectioners sugar
- Combine cake mix, eggs, and oil in a bowl and beat with an electric mixer for 2 - 3 minutes until all ingredients are incorporated and batter forms.
- Drop tablespoon sized cookies onto a parchment lined baking sheet (makes about 30), and bake at 350 degrees for 10 - 12 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely, then drizzle with Honey Lemon Glaze.
- Add butter, honey, and lemon extract to a boil and whisk with a fork until fully blended.
- Slowly whisk in confectioners sugar until you reach your desired consistency.