Peppermint truffles are a simple dessert made with oreos, cream cheese, white chocolate and peppermint crumbles – the perfect holiday treat!
This easy peppermint truffle recipe is a delicious blend of chocolate and peppermint and will be a hit at your next holiday party! We like to serve these on a platter with oreo truffles, Christmas tree brownies, and white chocolate covered oreos.
Click the button above to save this recipe!
Why you’ll love this recipe!
📌 Quick and easy dessert, ready in just 30 minutes.
📌 A delicious blend of chocolate, peppermint and oreo flavors.
📌 The perfect treat to serve over the holidays or to make as a delicious gift!
📌 A simple no bake dessert that everyone will love!
Peppermint Oreo Truffle Ingredients
- Oreos – Regular Oreos, not double stuffed.
- Cream cheese – Softened.
- Vanilla – Real vanilla extract will give you the best flavor over imitation.
- Peppermint – Peppermint extract (optional)
- Candy – Crushed candy canes or crushed peppermint candies.
- White chocolate – Alternatively you can use white candy melts or almond bark.
- (Optional) paramount crystals – To help thin out the chocolate for dipping.
How do you make easy chocolate peppermint truffles? (serving suggestions)
⭐ First, crush the Oreos into a fine crumb. Mix the Oreo crumbs with the cream cheese, vanilla extract and peppermint extract. Scoop the mixture into round balls and place onto a tray.
⭐ Next, melt the chocolate using your desired method.
⭐ Then, drop the Oreo balls into the melted chocolate. Use a spoon to move the ball around to cover completely in melted chocolate. Remove from chocolate and set back on the tray.
⭐ Finally, sprinkle crushed peppermint on top of the truffles and allow the chocolate to set until completely firm.
Scroll down to the printable recipe card toward the bottom of this article for ingredient measurements and detailed cooking instructions.
Can you make peppermint truffles ahead of time?
You can make the truffles up to a couple days ahead and store in a sealed container in the refrigerator. Serve chilled or allow to come to room temperature.
If you need to make them further in advance, they can be frozen (scroll down to ‘Storage’ section for directions).
How do you melt the chocolate?
Chocolate can be melted in the microwave, on the stove top, or in a slow cooker.
Do I need to add the peppermint extract?
This will give an extra boost of peppermint flavor but if you want to keep the peppermint more subtle, leave out the extract and stick with just the crushed peppermint candy.
What kind of chocolate for peppermint truffles?
We used white chocolate for the pictured truffles, but you can also use almond bark, white candy melts, colored candy melts, milk chocolate, semi sweet chocolate, or even dark chocolate!
Leftovers and storage
Do peppermint truffles need to be refrigerated?
These are made with cream cheese and not baked, so they should be refrigerated.
How long will they last?
They are best if enjoyed within the first day or two, but will be safe to eat for up to a week if stored in the refrigerator.
Can you freeze peppermint truffles?
Yes, to freeze, store in an airtight container for up to 4 months. Defrost in the refrigerator.
Tips and tricks
✅ Change up the flavors by using different Oreos like mint or vanilla!
✅ Make these even more festive for the holidays by using colored candy melts.
✅ Put your melted chocolate in a microwave safe dish so you can rewarm it if need be.
✅ Chill the Oreo and cream cheese balls in the fridge before dipping in chocolate to help them keep their round shape!
Frequently asked questions
What else can I use to top the truffles?
While crushed peppermint adds a delightful flavor and texture, you can get creative with coatings. Consider options like crushed nuts, shredded coconut, or cocoa powder for different flavor profiles.
You can also add some crushed oreos or drizzles of melted chocolate or candy melt.
Can I use a food processor to crush the Oreos?
Yes, a food processor can make the process of crushing Oreos quicker and more consistent. Simply pulse the Oreos until you achieve a fine crumb texture.
What are paramount crystals, and where can I find them?
Paramount crystals are used to thin out chocolate for dipping. You can find them at specialty baking stores or online. If you don’t have them, you can often achieve similar results by adding a small amount of vegetable oil to your chocolate.
Can I use low-fat or non-fat cream cheese in this recipe?
While full-fat cream cheese is typically recommended for the best flavor and texture, you can use low-fat or non-fat cream cheese if you prefer a lighter version. Keep in mind that the texture and taste may vary slightly.
More of our favorite truffle recipes
Try these other Christmas inspired recipes on your holiday dessert tray
- Christmas tree brownies
- M&M Christmas cookies
- Christmas tree cookies
- White chocolate covered oreos
- Grinch brownies
Tools we love
- Spatula – These ingredients are ooey gooey and sticky. You for sure want to be using a spatula to make sure you’re properly measuring and using all your ingredients.
- Baker’s Half Sheet – This is the baking sheet we use in the cooking video. Another favvvvvorite. I have four or maybe six of them.
- Silicon baking mat – Nothing sticks to these, I swear by them!
Get our FREE Easy Casseroles Ebook!
Follow us below!Use #mamalovesfood on Instagram!
How to Make Peppermint Truffles
- 36 oreos
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp peppermint extract optional
- candy cane or peppermint candies crushed
- 16 ounces white chocolate white candy melts, or almond bark
- optional: paramount crystals
- Crush the Oreos into a fine crumb. Mix together the crushed Oreos with cream cheese, vanilla extract, and peppermint extract.
- Use a tablespoon to scoop mixture into round balls and place onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Chill the tray in your refrigerator while you wait for the chocolate to melt.
- CHOCOLATE MELTING INSTRUCTIONS:Microwave: use a microwave safe bowl and heat chocolate in 20 second increments, stirring between heat cycles.Stovetop: melt chocolate over low heat, stirring constantly, remove from heat as soon as chocolate is melted; double boiler can be used if desired.Slow Cooker: add chocolate to oven safe dishes or a crock pot divider and place in slow cooker (mason jars work well for this); cover, set to low for 1 - 2 hours, stir before using. You can melt multiple types of chocolate at once using this method.
- If desired, stir in paramount crystals when chocolate is fully melted.
- Drop the truffles into the melted chocolate. Use a fork to move the ball around a bit, then scoop it out and set it on the tray. Before the chocolate sets, sprinkle the crushed peppermint on top of the chocolate. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
⭐Save This Recipe⭐ Send it to your email!
I consent to receive email from this site 💌
Click the button above to save this recipe!