Grinch Brownies inspired by the Dr. Seuss Christmas story and movie are so fun and super easy to make. A great holiday party treat!
This Grinch Brownies Recipe topped with yummy green ganache and cute heart sprinkles are a super fun addition to your next Christmas get together! Serve them with other yummy dishes like a cheese ball appetizer, buffalo wings, and red velvet cake mix cookies.
Click the button above to save this recipe!
Grinch Brownies Ingredients
- Sugar – White, granulated and light brown.
- Vanilla – Real vanilla extract.
- Salt – Regular table salt.
- Eggs – Large eggs, plus yolks.
- Butter – Unsalted, melted.
- Chocolate chips – Semisweet chocolate morsels.
- Oil – Vegetable oil (I am partial to olive oil).
- Flour – All purpose flour.
- Cocoa powder – Regular 100% cacao cocoa powder.
- Oreos – Mint flavored with green filing.
- Ganache topping – White chocolate chips, heavy cream, green food coloring, sprinkles.
How do you make Grinch inspired brownies? (step-by-step)
⭐ First, melt together the butter and chocolate, whisking briskly until fully combined. Whisk in vegetable oil.
⭐ Separately, in a large bowl combine granulated sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, salt, whole eggs and yolks in a large bowl
⭐ Next, pour melted chocolate into the sugar mixture. Mix well and gently fold in flour and cocoa powder. Pour batter into a prepared pan, press cookies into batter, and bake until cooked through.
⭐ Then, while brownies are baking bring heavy cream to a gentle simmer. Pour hot cream over chocolate and blend until smooth. Add food coloring as desire.
⭐ Finally, pour ganache over baked brownies and top with sprinkles. Allow to set.
Can you make Grinch Christmas brownies ahead of time?
You can make the brownies a day or two in advance. Store covered in a cool dry place, or in the refrigerator if longer.
What kind of Oreos for Grinch brownies recipe?
We like the mint brownies with green filling (as pictured), but you can use any kind you like. Chocolate filled brownies are also a favorite in our home!
Can I use canned frosting?
If you want to prep these faster you can use canned white frosting. For best results, warm it up in the microwave and whisk in the food coloring, then pour it over the brownies like a ganache.
Leftovers and storage
How long do Grinch brownies last?
Leftovers will last a day or two kept at room temp in a sealed container or 3 – 4 days in the refrigerator.
Can you freeze brownies?
If you want to freeze Grinch brownies, it works best if done before adding the icing. Allow the brownies to cool, then slice and place in a freezer-safe container with parchment paper in-between to keep them from sticking.
Thaw overnight in the refrigerator or on the counter. Add icing and sprinkles after thawing.
Tips, tricks, and frequently asked questions
🎉 Try using color food coloring and a variety of sprinkles to celebrate other holidays and events.
🍪 Make them with other Oreo flavors!
🧀 Top with cream cheese icing instead of ganache for a chocolate cheesecake vibe.
🔪 Use a plastic knife to cut brownies cleanly!
What to eat with Grinch Christmas brownies (serving suggestions)
More holiday recipe ideas
- Chocolate peppermint cookies
- Christmas tree cupcakes
- Hot cocoa muddy buddies
- Peppermint hot mocha
- Sugar cookie peppermint sticks
- Rice krispies coal treats
Other delicious brownie recipes
- Peppermint brownies recipe
- Cosmic brownies
- Snickers stuffed brownies
- Nutella brownies
- S’mores brownies pie
- Caramel stuffed brownies
- Check out this collection of brownie recipes or all our easy brownie recipes!
More recipes with Oreos
- Oreo truffles
- Pumpkin fudge
- Oreo fluff
- Cookies and cream cookies
- Peanut butter lush
- Grasshopper fudge
- See all our recipes using Oreos!
Tools we love
- Brownie pan – This Wilton pan is the perfect size for brownies.
- Brownie spatula – Perfect for getting them out of the pan.
- Heart sprinkles – We get a surprising amount of use out of the heart sprinkles in our pantry!
Get our FREE Easy Casseroles Ebook!
Follow us below!Use #mamalovesfood on Instagram!
How to Make Grinch Brownies
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt skip if using salted butter
- 2 large eggs, plus 2 yolks
- 1 stick unsalted butter (8 tablespoons), melted
- 8 ounces chocolate chips semisweet
- ½ cup vegetable oil we like olive oil
- 1 ¼ cups flour all-purpose
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 12 Oreos we used mint Oreos with green filling
- 12 ounces white chocolate chips high quality (not almond bark)
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- food coloring green
- sprinkles heart shaped, classic red, classic green
- Combine the granulated sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, salt, whole eggs and yolks in a large bowl.
- Melt the butter and chocolate in a double boiler (or in short increments in the microwave stirring between), and whisk together until fully combined. Whisk in the oil.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into the sugar mixture and mix until fully combined. Gently fold in the flour and cocoa.
- Pour the brownie batter into a prepared* 9x13" dish, spreading all the way to the edges. Press Oreos into the batter until tops are flush with batter.
- Bake at 350F degrees until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes.
- While brownies are baking, heat heavy cream until gently simmering (this can be done in the microwave or on the stove top).
- Pour cream over white chocolate, and blend with an electric mixer until smooth. Add food coloring and continue blending until you reach your desired color.
- Pour warm ganache over the cooked brownies and spread to the edges. Top with sprinkles while warm, and allow the ganache to set.
Click the button above to save this recipe!