Potato salad made with spices, mayo, and a little sour cream for tang, then topped with sliced boiled eggs is the ultimate summer side dish!
This potato salad will have you turning your face to soak up the sun no matter what time of year! Perfect for spring and summer get togethers, or a Tuesday in December. Serve it with some juicy brined chicken and homemade dill pickles!
Best Potato Salad Recipe!
Click the button above to save this recipe!
Potato Salad Ingredients
- Potatoes – We like to use red potatoes or russet potatoes in this recipe
- Vinegar – White vinegar is great or you can play with the flavors by using other types of vinegar
- Salad oil – Salad oil is just any type of light flavored oil
- Spices – Salt, garlic salt, onion salt, black pepper
- Veggies – Chopped red onion and thinly sliced celery
- Mayo – I like to use a full fat mayonnaise.
- Sour cream – You could also substitute plain Greek yogurt.
- Optional – Sliced hard boiled eggs, parsley.
How do you make potato salad from scratch? (Step-by-step)
⭐ First, cook potatoes in salted boiling water.
⭐ Next, whisk together oil and spices. Pour them over warm potatoes and gently toss to coat. Chill.
⭐ Then, mix together mayo, sour cream, onion and celery. Stir into chilled potatoes.
⭐ Finally, garnish with fresh parsley and sliced eggs.
How far in advance can you make potato salad?
You can prepare the dish up to 2 days ahead of time and keep it stored in the refrigerator. I actually like it better the second day after all the flavors have had time to combine!
Should I cut potatoes before boiling for potato salad?
This is entirely a matter of preference. When cooking potatoes on the stove top, I like to cut first, then boil because they take less time to cook.
Alternatively, cooked potatoes are softer and easier to cut, so it really just depends on your preference.
How long do you need to boil the potatoes?
Smaller potatoes, and pre-cut potatoes, will take about 10 – 15 minutes. Larger potatoes will take between 20 – 25 minutes. Check for doneness by piercing with a fork.
Storage and leftovers
How long can potato salad sit out?
Potato salad should not sit out at room temperature for longer than two hours, as this is when it will reach a temperature that grows dangerous bacteria.
If yours has been out in excess of 2 hours, it should be disposed of.
How long does potato salad last?
Homemade potato salad will last 3 – 4 days when kept in a sealed container in the refrigerator. Never keep leftovers that have been out at room temperature for more than two hours.
Can you freeze it?
You can freeze potato salad, but it may get mushy when thawed. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and stir gently if there has been separation.
Whenever possible, it is best when consumed within 2 – 3 days, and not after freezing.
🟢 Stir in a tablespoon of yellow mustard or dijon mustard for a yellow potato salad.
🟢 Toss in a handful of chopped jalapenos, pickled jalapenos, or a swirl of sriracha sauce for a spicy potato salad.
🟢 Add some cooked chicken for a chicken potato salad.
🟢 Stir in a can of sweet corn kernels for a summer-ready corn and potato salad.
🟢 Try it with a packet of ranch dressing mix for a ranch potato salad or taco seasoning for a Mexican flare.
🟢 A handful of chopped fresh dill and diced dill pickles make a delicious dill potato salad!
Frequently asked questions
How do you make instant pot potato salad?
To make this in the instant pot, you’ll want to add water to the bottom of your inner liner, then place your peeled and chopped potatoes in the pot, followed by your eggs (if using) on top of the potatoes. (You can use a steamer basked if desired, but I don’t find it necessary).
Cook on manual (high pressure), then do a quick release. Pop the eggs into a bowl of ice water, and proceed with the potatoes according to the recipe! Scroll down to the recipe card for detailed directions.
What is the best kind of potato for potato salad?
We typically make this with russet potatoes or red potatoes. (Pictured is red potatoes). Red potatoes stay in tact and give you a firmer, less crumbly finish, whereas russet potatoes tend to break down more but also soak up the liquid and yield a creamier mouth feel.
It’s totally a matter of taste and in my opinion both are delicious!
Do I have to peel the potatoes?
You do not have to peel potatoes for potato salad. The peels are full of flavor, texture, and nutrients, as well as color. So, if you’re not in the mood to peel, then feel free to skip that step!
Is potato salad healthy?
This will depend on the diet you follow, but objectively speaking, it contains healthy fats if you use olive oil, vitamins and fiber from the potatoes and vegetables, as well as protein from the egg and sour cream.
Is it gluten free?
As written, this recipe for potato salad is gluten free. If adding to the recipe (like with a spice packet), make sure to check individual ingredients.
Is it keto?
The ketogenic diet is a high-fat, adequate-protein, low-carbohydrate diet and this recipe satisfies those parameters. As potatoes are starchy and high in carbohydrates, this would not qualify as a keto-friendly recipe.
How do you make healthy potato salad?
If you are trying to lighten up the recipe and reduce calories, you can double the veggies, while reducing the number of potatoes. Try it with low-fat mayo, and swap out the sour cream for a non-fat plain Greek yogurt.
This is a classic summer potluck dish and goes great alongside other summer classics like a perfectly grilled ribeye, or teriyaki pineapple chicken kabobs! Definitely serve up a hot weather favorite for dessert too like easy s’mores fudge, quick lemon mousse, or family style banana pudding!
More summer salad ideas
- Tuna pasta salad recipe
- Easy cucumber salad
- Raw brussel sprouts salad
- Cold broccoli salad
- See all our easy salad recipe ideas!
More awesome potato recipes
More pot luck classics
Tools we love
- Santoku knife – My favorite knife for cutting vegetables! This knife is the perfect size and shape, handles great, and is super reasonably priced. Also, I just love that it’s fun and colorful!
- 6.5 Quart dutch oven – This enameled cast iron dutch oven can go from stove top to oven, and look beautiful doing it. Perfect for chilis, roasts, breads, and stews. Mine is yellow, what color will you choose?
- Instant Pot electric pressure cooker – This electric pressure cooker, and my gas grill are the saving graces in our home. A delicious roast with carrots and potatoes in 45 minutes? Yes, please! You’re seriously going to love this one!
Get our FREE Easy Casseroles Ebook!
Follow us below!Use #mamalovesfood on Instagram!
How to Make Potato Salad
- 5 pounds potatoes we prefer red potatoes or russet, peeled & cut into 1" cubes
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1/4 cup salad oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 cup mayo
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- eggs optional
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add diced potatoes and eggs. Cook until potatoes are just fork tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and immediately add eggs to an ice bath. Set potatoes aside. (Alternately you can boil the potatoes whole, and then cut into cubes).
- INSTANT POT VARIATION: Add 1 cup of water to the inner liner of your instant pot. Add peeled/cubed potatoes, then place eggs on top of potatoes. Cover and set to sealing. Cook on manual (high pressure) for 4 minutes. Quick release and place eggs immediately into an ice water bath. Drain liquid from potatoes.*
- In a small bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, salt, garlic salt, onion salt, and black pepper. Pour over warm potatoes and gently toss to coat. Let chill for 2 hours.
- Mix together mayo, sour cream, onion and celery. Carefully stir into chilled potatoes until well incorporated. Top with sliced hard boiled eggs.
Best Potato Salad Recipe!
Click the button above to save this recipe!