Pumpkin Ice Cream is perfect for those of us craving Fall when it’s still hot out. And you can make it without an ice cream maker!
Pumpkin Ice Cream, whaaaaa?! What do you do when the calendar says “Back to School Season” but the weather report says “Heat Index of 105 with Tropical Storm brewing” — you think I kid, but this is really my life. (Yes, it’s okay to feel bad for me).
Rather than mourn the fact that boots and sweater weather is months off (if it shows up at all), I did the next best thing and celebrated the season Florida style with a quick no-churn ice cream. And if you’re feeling crazy top it with some butterscotch ganache!
Pumpkin Ice Cream
Pumpkin Ice Cream Ingredients
- Sweetened condensed milk – This is an easy way to get the perfect level of sweetness and creaminess without having to heat up the ice cream mixture to dissolve sugar. Love a good hack!
- Pumpkin puree – make sure you’re using pure pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie mix. If you use pumpkin pie mix this will come out too sweet.
- Vanilla extract – You’ll want to use real vanilla for this, not imitation vanilla.
- Pumpkin pie spice – Pumpkin pie spice is available at most markets these days, but if you have an extra five minutes, I strongly suggest using our pumpkin pie spice mix. It’s so much better than the others!
- Heavy whipping cream – Do not try to sub out the heavy whipping cream for milk or half and half as you will not get the right consistency in the end. Heavy whipping cream is important to this recipe, especially if you are using the no churn method.
Pumpkin Ice Cream Variations
Butterscotch Pumpkin Ice Cream – Drizzle a healthy bit of butterscotch ganache into the heavy cream mixture.
Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream – Fold in crumbled chunks of cooked pie crust for an authentic pumpkin pie flavor.
Toffee Pumpkin Ice Cream – Add toffee chips for a satisfying crunch.
Coffee Pumpkin Ice Cream – Scoop some ice cream into your after dinner coffee for a special treat.
Is There Pumpkin in Pumpkin Ice Cream?
Our recipe contains real pumpkin. We use a pure pumpkin puree to give our flavor an authentic pumpkin flavor as well as adding fiber, vitamins, and minerals!
What Does Pumpkin Ice Cream Taste Like?
It tastes like a creamy, light and fluffy pumpkin pie filling in ice cream form. I topped mine with a few sprinkles and some caramel magic shell and was in Autumn heaven.
Do I Need an Ice Cream Maker?
You do not need an ice cream maker to make our ice cream recipe! This no-churn pumpkin ice cream is made fluffy and creamy and perfect by whipping heavy cream and folding it in before freezing.
Can I make Pumpkin Ice Cream with an Ice Cream Maker?
You can make this recipe with an ice cream maker! If you are making this recipe in an ice cream maker, just skip the whipping step as your ice cream machine will take care of that part for you.
More Yummy Ice Cream Recipes
More Pumpkin Recipes We Love
See all our recipes with pumpkin!
More Recipes with Sweetened Condensed Milk
See all our sweetened condensed milk recipes!
- Ice Cream Maker (Frozen Bowl Style) – This style is great (and cost effective!) if you can remember to freeze the tub the night before. It makes soft serve texture ice cream, but you can always pop it into the freezer for a bit if you like your ice cream a little harder.
- Ice Cream Maker (Refrigeration Unit Style) – This is a more traditional ice cream maker with a refrigeration system built directly into the unit. Perfect for folks like me who have no extra space in the freezer for bowls.
- Ice Cream Tubs – We will often use loaf pans for our ice cream, but these are even better, and stackable. Not to mention super cute.
- Ice Cream Scoop – I don’t know who got me this ice cream scoop, but it is definitely the best one ever. This bad boy can get through the hardest ice cream.
- Ice Cream Dishes – I am a total sucker for cute little ice cream bowls. These are available in colors or bright white.
Love this recipe? Join Us For More!
Follow us below!Use #mamalovesfood on Instagram!
How to make Pumpkin Ice Cream
Pumpkin Ice Cream
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 4 tablespoons pure pumpkin puree
- 1/2 teaspoon real vanilla extract
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- In a bowl whisk together sweetened condensed milk, pumpkin puree, vanilla, and pumpkin pie spice. Set aside.
- (IF USING AN ICE CREAM MAKER SKIP THIS STEP). In a second bowl, beat the heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold in the sweetened condensed milk mixture until fully incorporated. (Or just stir in if using an ice cream maker).
- FOR NO-CHURN: Pour into a freezer safe container (I used a glass loaf pan), cover and freeze at least six hours.
- FOR ICE CREAM MAKER: Pour into your ice cream maker and follow manufacturers instructions.
originally published 08-28-15