Yum Yum Sauce is a delicious savory white sauce made with ONLY FIVE INGREDIENTS. I bet you already have all the ingredients!
Yum Yum Sauce is like the ranch dressing of Japan, it’s so good that I use it as a dip for everything! (We’ve even been known to use it as a salad dressing on occasion!)
Yum Yum Sauce
What is Yum Yum Sauce
Yum yum sauce is a mild savory dipping sauce typically found at Japanese steak houses. Our version is only 5 ingredients and takes about 30 seconds to whip together!
What is Yum Yum Sauce Called
Yum yum sauce is also called White Sauce, Sakura Sauce, or Japanese Steakhouse Shrimp Sauce. In our family we also refer to it as Hibachi Sauce or Hibachi Dip.
White sauce is usually found at a Japanese restaurant like steakhouses and hibachi restaurants, you can also often find it in sushi restaurants.
Yum Yum Sauce Ingredients
- Mayonnaise – You’ll want to use a full fat mayonnaise for the truest flavor. This is meant to be a very rich sauce.
- Butter – Make sure your butter is very soft or even melted, but not hot. If you start with butter that is too firm you will end up with butter chunks in the sauce.
- Ketchup – I know I’m going to get the side eye from several people over this ingredient, but trust me, it works. Most Yum Yum Sauce recipes call for a combination of tomato paste and sugar – this is just a simple shortcut to that same result.
- Seasoned Salt – You can find seasoned salt on the spice aisle usually on a shelf near the salt and pepper.
- Paprika – Paprika is what give this sauce its orange-ish pink color, it also adds a lot of great flavor, so don’t skip it! You can use plain paprika or smoked paprika. (I personally prefer smoked!)
How to make Yum Yum Sauce
First add mayonnaise, butter, ketchup, seasoned salt, and paprika to a mixing bowl. Make sure the butter is very soft or melted (but not hot) before adding.
Next, mix ingredients together with a whisk or fork, scraping the sides down with a spatula until everything is well incorporated. There’s no need for a food processor, it’s so easy!
Finally, add water in small amounts until desired consistency is reached. We prefer a thick white sauce and do not usually add the water. The images in this post do not have water added.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Yum Yum Sauce Gluten Free
Yum yum sauce is gluten free when made with this recipe. If you purchase Japanese steak sauce at a market or have it at a restaurant, you will want to confirm that the ingredients they have used are also gluten free.
What to eat with Yum Yum Sauce
Tips and Tricks
★ If you like a thinner yum yum sauce, add water slowly at the end until you reach the perfect consistency for your tastes.
★ Make sure you don’t try to speed things up by using a blender or electric mixer to put this sauce together, you will risk breaking the mayonnaise emulsion and end up with a very thin liquid. It will still taste good, but the consistency will be very off.
★ If you want to save your yum yum sauce for later, make sure to note the expiration dates on all your ingredients. The one with the soonest expiration date is the one you should refer to for your sauce. Store in sealed container in the refrigerator.
★ Want a little heat? Whisk in a dash of cayenne pepper or some hot sauce!
What to serve with Yum Yum Sauce
More like Yum Yum Sauce
Honey Mustard Recipe – Another simple dipping sauce that whips up in just a few ingredients. I love to use this as a chicken marinade or salad dressing as well.
Ranch Dressing – The American version of Japanese white sauce? I think it might be! You’ll never buy from the grocery store again after making our recipe at home.
Blue Cheese Dressing – If you like decadent, super chunky blue cheese dressing, you’re going to want this recipe in your life. My daughter and I have been known to eat it by the spoonful.
Peanut Sauce – Another Asian inspired favorite! This one’s great as a dip or even over rice noodles like a sauce. Yum!
Yum Yum Sauce Suggested Tools
Mixing Bowl – I like a good stainless steel mixing bowl. Nice and sturdy, easy to clean, and won’t break!
Whisk – A fork will do in a pinch, but whisks just work so much better.
Spatula – Rubber spatulas might be greatest kitchen invention ever. So amazing for making sure you get every little bit of sauce or batter off the sides of your dish!
Recipe for Yum Yum Sauce
Yum Yum Sauce
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon butter melted but not hot
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- ½ teaspoon seasoned salt
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- Whisk ingredients together and enjoy! (Don’t use a blender or you risk breaking the emulsion. You’ll end up with a liquidy mess. A delicious liquidy mess, but not the result we are looking for!).
- If sauce is too thick, add water in very small increments until desired consistency is reached.