A baked sweet potato is delicious! We will teach you how to bake sweet potatoes with this simple guide and they’ll be perfect every time!
A baked sweet potato is one of my favorite treats. I learned how to bake sweet potatoes a few years ago and have nailed down the perfect process. And bonus it’s really simple to bake a sweet potato!
Baked Sweet Potato Ingredients
- Sweet Potato – any size sweet potato works, but keep in mind the larger the sweet potato the longer it will take to bake. When I first learned how to bake a sweet potato I would do the biggest one I could find. But now I like to bake a smaller sweet potato, or several, so they don’t take as long.
- Oil – We are fans of olive oil, but butter, ghee, rendered bacon fat, coconut oil, or other vegetable oil would work too.
- Optional: salt, butter, cinnamon, sugar
What toppings to put on a baked sweet potato?
Traditional toppings on a baked sweet potato are cinnamon, butter, and even marshmallows! I am more of a savory baked sweet potato fan though, so I love a dollop of butter and some seasoned salt or a basic spice rub. Yum.
How do you bake a sweet potato in foil?
In learning how to bake a sweet potato, I tried many methods, and while you can bake a sweet potato in foil, I actually prefer not to. When you bake a sweet potato without foil, the skin crisps up nicely, and I feel like it even cooks just a little bit faster.
Not to mention, so much less waste if you’re not wrapping each sweet potato in foil.
Are sweet potatoes healthy?
Sweet potatoes are very healthy, they contain high amounts of fiber, potassium, and vitamin A. And they contain more overall nutrients with fewer calories as compared to their Russet counterparts. Not to mention, a baked sweet potato will keep you full for a long time!
Do you have to peel a sweet potato?
You do not have to peel a sweet potato! In fact I do not recommend peeling a sweet potato before baking it. All that does is remove nutrients and create more work for you. So I will say definitively, don’t peel your baked sweet potato!
More Sweet Potato Recipes
Baked Sweet Potato Tools
Vegetable Scrubber – Vegetable scrubbers are an easy way to get your veggies clean! I also keep an extra one on hand for scrubbing my sink. Don’t worry, I never use the sink scrubber for vegetable cleaning! Ew!
Silicone Baking Mats – You guys. Nothing sticks to these. Nothing. Literally. In the literal sense of the word. Get you some and thank me later!
Salt Grinder – There’s something weirdly satisfying to me about grinding salt. I’m basically a pioneer. Be like me. Grind salt and be awesome.
How to bake a sweet potato
Baked Sweet Potato - How to Bake a Sweet Potato Perfectly
- Sweet potatoes
- Oil This time I used coconut oil, but olive oil is also delicious
- optional: seasoned salt cinnamon, butter
- Scrub potatoes with cold water. Dry and set on a foil lined baking sheet. Poke lots of holes in your taters with a fork or paring knife. Be careful, these bad boys are dense.
- Rub potatoes lightly with oil (and optionally sprinkle with a little bit of seasoned salt).
- Bake at 400 degrees for 40 -60 minutes (depending on the size of your potatoes).
- Serve with a pat of butter and sprinkle of cinnamon.
originally published: Jul 8, 2012