Our Chili Recipe (No Beans) is the perfect chili recipe made with beef and pork.
Chili without beans is perfect for folks who are doing avoiding grains or gluten, and is even whole30 compliant if you use the right chili spices!
Chili Recipe (No Beans) Ingredients
- ground beef – I tend to use a lean ground beef since we will be draining off the fat.
- pork sausage – we usually use mild pork sausage, but if you like a really spicy chili then this is a great place to add more heat!
- bacon – oh yes, you read that right.
- onion – I like to use a sweet yellow onion to offset the spice.
- tomato – we use a few different iterations of tomato in this recipe. Yum!
- hot peppers – not too many, because my kids wouldn’t eat it. But you can always add more.
- sweet peppers – lots and lots of sweet bell peppers. You’re going to question my sanity – that is, until you try it!
- celery – just a little bit of celery. Trust me on this one.
- carrots – carrots are the ingredient that people always look at me cock-eyed over. But I promise, you’ll love the way they work in this no bean chili!
- seasonings – I have a secret seasoning that will sound weird, but mmmm mmmmm mmmmm.
Is chili good without beans?
Oh my goodness, chili is so good without beans. I mean, don’t get me wrong, I love a chili recipe with beans too, but this no bean chili recipe is deep and rich and so incredibly savory. It’s a great alternative to traditional chili and tastes amazing in a chili pot pie!
Can Chili without beans be frozen?
Chili with no beans can definitely be frozen! I love to make a double batch in my super giant stock pot and freeze half for later. You can also do what we did in the video below, and portion out/prep the uncooked ingredients and freeze them for later.
Pro tip – cornbread freezes well too, so you can make a double batch of both and then have them ready to eat in no time on a busy night!
Is this Chili Recipe (No Beans) healthy?
Chili without beans is healthy depending on the diet you follow. One thing I love about this recipe is it is totally grain free (just watch what chili seasonings you are using). So that means our bean free chili is gluten free, paleo compliant, and whole thirty compliant. Don’t quote me on this, but I think it might even be keto friendly!
This no bean chili recipe is on the calorie dense side because of all the meat, but it is also super full of protein and tons of healthy vegetables! I definitely don’t feel guilty when I eat it.
No Bean Chili Making Tools
Large Stock Pot – This 8 quart stock pot will fit your chili and have some room to spare. I have it and love it!
Wooden Spatula – I don’t know about you, but I feel more like a real cook when I use a wooden spatula.
What to serve with our Chili Recipe (No Beans)
Sweet Cornbread – Inspired by that deliciously sweet cornbread you get at restaurants!
No Knead Beer Bread – If you’re not a cornbread fan, this is easy and so good.
Cinnamon Roll Sugar Cookies – What is it about cinnamon rolls and chili?
Creamy Mashed Potatoes – I love to serve my chili over mashed potatoes!
How to Make our Chili Recipe (No Beans)
Chili Recipe (No Beans)
- 2 ½ pounds ground beef
- 2 pounds mild pork sausage ground (you can usually find this in 1lb tubes near the bacon)
- ¼ pound bacon chopped into small pieces
- 1 large yellow onions diced
- 2 packages McCormick Mild Chili Seasoning 1.25 ounce packages - they have a gluten free version too!
- 1 tablespoons dark cocoa powder
- 1 can Rotel mild
- 1 can tomato paste 6 ounces
- 6 green bell peppers diced
- 1 large piece of celery diced
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes not drained (14 ounces)
- 1 ½ cups carrots diced
- Brown ground beef, pork sausage, and bacon. Drain and return to pan.
- Add onions, chili seasoning, and cocoa powder. Saute an additional 2 - 3 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir well.
- Cook covered on low all day, or at least 4 hours. Alternatively, use manual for 45 - 60 minutes in an electric pressure cooker.
originally posted 1.18.14