Buffalo wings are tender on the inside, with crispy skin & zingy sauce. Serve as an appetizer or as the main course for your next game day!
This buffalo chicken wing recipe is a fan favorite in our house, baked in the oven for al the flavor and none of the guilt, then sauced up with our favorite buffalo wing sauce! Serve them with homemade blue cheese dressing or ranch dressing.
Click the button above to save this recipe!
Buffalo Wing Ingredients and Supplies
- Chicken wings – Party style wings are ideal, as they have already been separated into wingettes and drummetes (flats). But if you want to save money and buy them whole, we show exactly how to cut them in this baked chicken wings article!
- Parchment paper or silicone mat – This keeps the wings from sticking to the baking sheet, you don’t want to lose any crispy skin!
- Baking sheet – I like to use a large baking sheet, but a casserole dish will work for smaller batches.
- Prep bowl and cover – Something light that you will be able to pick up an handle easily. For the cover I often use a plate.
- Buffalo wing sauce – Grab a bottle from the market or make a batch of homemade wing sauce.
- Optional – Celery and blue cheese dressing.
How do you make baked buffalo wings? (step-by-step)
⭐ First, place wings on a lined baking sheet and dust with salt and pepper, if desired.
⭐ Next, bake on each side, until golden brown.
⭐ Then, remove wings and place in a prep bowl. Pour sauce over, then cover and shake.
⭐ Finally, cook an additional few minutes until the sauce is baked on. Toss a second time, if desired.
Can you bake buffalo wings from frozen?
You absolutely can! If cooking chicken wings from frozen, you will need to drain the pan every 10 – 15 minutes or so until wings stop releasing liquid. Cook time will increase by about double (depending on how frozen, how large, and how much liquid they were frozen in).
Can you prep the wings ahead of time?
Sure! If you want to cut down on prep time, you could absolutely do the initial bake ahead of time and then sauce them up and pop them back in the oven about 10 minutes before you’re ready to eat.
Should I use a wire rack for buffalo chicken wings?
We do not suggest baking the wings on a wire rack as it can make the meat dry out and taste tough. You’re able to get perfectly crispy skin, while keeping the chicken moist with a baking sheet and silicone/parchment mat!
Can I use homemade buffalo sauce?
Totally! This buffalo sauce recipe is my personal favorite!
Leftovers and storage
How long will baked buffalo chicken wings last?
You can store cooked chicken wings in a sealed container in the fridge for 3 – 4 days. They can be reheated in a microwave, or in the air fryer, oven or toaster oven if you want to re-crisp the skin.
Can you freeze leftover buffalo wings?
Yes! We like to freeze leftover wings in single portion sizes for quick lunches on busy day. Allow the wings to cool to about room temperature then store in an air-tight freezer safe container. They will keep for 3 – 6 months if maintained at or below freezing.
Tips, tricks, and frequently asked questions
🟢 Brine the wings with our three ingredient chicken brine for a few hours or overnight for extra moist meat.
🟢 Turn your oven onto convection for the last 7 – 10 minutes for extra crispy skin.
🟢 If you like them super saucy, toss with sauce a second time immediately before serving.
🟢 Serve your buffalo wings with celery sticks and blue cheese dip for extra authenticity.
What to eat with buffalo chicken wings (serving suggestions)
Serve these as an appetizer alongside other favorites like grape jelly meatballs and jalapeno spinach dip, or as your main course with a side of air fryer sweet potato fries and sautéed vegetables.
More chicken wing recipes
- Curry grilled chicken wings
- How to bake chicken wings in the oven
- Teriyaki wings
- Garlic parmesan wings
- Teriyaki chicken wings
- Air fryer wings recipe
- See all our chicken wing recipes!
Other recipes with buffalo sauce
Tools we love
- Large baking sheets – Possibly my most used kitchen item.
- Silicone baking mat – Nothing sticks! These things are magic.
Get our FREE Easy Casseroles Ebook!
Follow us below!Use #mamalovesfood on Instagram!
How to Make Buffalo Wings
- 2.5 - 3 lbs chicken wings about 20 wings
- 1 - 2 cups buffalo sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- celery sticks optional
- blue cheese dressing optional
- Place wings on a parchment or silpat lined baking sheet (they can be close together or even touching, but not on top of one another). If you are making plain wings, go ahead and dust with salt and pepper, to your liking.
- Bake at 425F for about 15 minutes* on each side, until wings are browning and cooked through.
- Remove wings and place in a prep bow. Pour sauce over, then cover and shake vigorously until wings are coated evenly.
- Use tongs to place wings back on a lined baking sheet and return the tray to the oven for an additional 5 - 7 minutes, until crispy and perfect. If your oven has a convection setting, use it now for best results.
- If you like your wings extra saucy, toss them once more in about a cup of buffalo sauce immediately before serving. Serve with celery sticks and blue cheese dip.
- If cooking wings from frozen, you will need to drain off discharge every 10 - 15 minutes or so until wings stop releasing liquid.
- Cook time will increase by about double or more (depending on how frozen, how large, and how much liquid they were frozen in).
- Wings will eventually cook through and brown!
Click the button above to save this recipe!
Thanks for the cutting illustration! I needed that.
Can I smoke these wings?
April Woods says
These wings are the best!! So tasty and easy to make!
Buffalo wings are the best appetizer or meal! We make them all the time. Everyone loves them. This sauce is perfect & tasty!