This Chicken Noodle Soup with Homemade Egg Noodles recipe is the perfect comfort food. Easy to make and delicious, you’ll want to make extra and freeze some for later!
Chicken noodle soup is one of my all time favorite comfort foods. It’s incredibly easy to make and you’ll be so happy you did. The mystical ‘they’ say it has healing properties – I don’t know about all that, but it sure makes my soul feel good.
There’s something really special about making your own noodles too. It’s one of those things I do and pretend that now I could totally live as a pioneer woman. Step aside wild west, I’m coming for ya!
Chicken Noodle Soup with Homemade Egg Noodles, Ingredients:
- 10 to 12 cups chicken stock (homemade is best, but packaged would work okay too)
- 2 cups rough chopped celery
- 2 cups rough chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 1/2 cups corn (canned is fine)
- 4 large pinches dried parsley flakes
- shredded meat from one roasted chicken
- salt & pepper to taste
- egg noodle ingredients:
- 2 cups flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 eggshell of milk
- dash of salt
Chicken Noodle Soup with Homemade Egg Noodles, Directions:
- Combine ingredients, except chicken and noodles, in a large stock pot.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer, until carrots are tender.
- Bring back to a boil and add chicken and egg noodles (see below).
- Egg Noodle Directions:
- Put flour in a large bowl and make a well in the center.
- Add eggs, milk and salt to well and whisk together until dough forms.
- Roll dough out onto a floured surface, very thin and cut into shapes or noodles. (If you don’t have cookie cutters, get creative. I raided my kids’ toy chest to find fun shapes!)
- Drop into soup.
- Cook for an additional 5 – 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat and serve!
*If you want to freeze the noodles, allow them to dry out overnight and then store in a freezer-safe container.