A burrito bowl piled with rice, beans, corn, salsa, avocado, & chicken, then drizzled with a cilantro dressing is my favorite easy meal!
You cannot beat a homemade burrito bowl! I love mine with leftover steak or chicken, and gobs of avocado, all on top of warm rice with beans and corn and, oh my goodness, now I’m hungry! Try it with our mango salsa!
Disclosure: This is a partnered campaign for Success Rice.
Burrito Bowl Recipe
Click the button above to save this recipe!
Burrito Bowl Ingredients
- Meat – We used cilantro lime grilled chicken, but you could also used baked chicken, instant pot shredded chicken, pulled pork, or even grilled flank steak or chimichurri steak.
- Rice – We used Success Garden & Grain Blends with white rice, black beans, corn, and bell peppers.
- Corn – Our rice had corn in it, but you can also add more if you like! Canned, fresh, or frozen.
- Beans – Our rice included black beans too, but you can add more if you love beans. I find canned black beans work well.
- Salsa – I love to use our homemade pico de gallo recipe in the bowls.
- Avocado – Fresh avocado is delicious, but you could also use leftover guacamole.
- Dressing – Cilantro lime garlic dressing is my absolute favorite on these bowls.
- Garnish and toppings – Fresh cilantro, green onion, and fresh lime wedges.
How do you make homemade burrito bowls? (Step-by-step)
⭐ First, prepare ingredients separately, rice with beans and corn, avocado, meat, salsa, cilantro, lime wedges, and dressing.
⭐ Next, mix together base ingredients: rice, beans, and corn. (Ours came already mixed!).
⭐ Then, add meat, avocado, and salsa.
⭐ Finally, finish with dressing, fresh cilantro, and a squeeze of lime juice.
Do you have any tips for cooking rice?
Yes! I love using Success boil-in-bag rice because it takes all the guesswork out of cooking rice. All you have to do is drop the bag into a saucepan, bring the water to a boil and boil uncovered for 8-10 minutes. Then it’s done!
Can you make burrito bowls ahead of time?
Prepping the ingredients ahead of time is a great idea, but we don’t suggest actually assembling the bowls until you’re ready to eat.
Keep the ingredients separate and refrigerated in sealed containers until you’re ready to put them together.
Do you have to use meat in burrito bowls?
No! Vegetarian burrito bowls are also delicious. I personally am partial to steak burrito bowls, but the wonderful thing about this recipe is that it’s so easy to adapt to different tastes.
Are burrito bowls eaten hot or cold?
This is totally a matter of preference. My husband likes his cold, but I prefer mine hot! You can make them with hot or cold ingredients, or heat up a cold bowl in the oven or microwave.
Tips, tricks, and frequently asked questions
🧀 Try adding shredded cheese or nacho cheese sauce to the top of yours.
🥄 Sour cream is delicious, especially if you skip the dressing.
🔥 Pickled jalapenos are great for adding a kick.
What to eat with burrito bowls (serving suggestions)
Success Garden & Grains Blends
What is it?
New Success Garden & Grains Blends combines simple grains, vegetables and legumes – it’s a quick and easy way to add vegetables to meals. It has no added flavors or preservatives and is available in two different varieties: White Rice, Black Beans, Corn & Bell Peppers and White Rice, Peas, Carrot & Red Bell Peppers.
Why use Success Garden & Grains Blends?
Not only does it have a flavorful blend of vegetables, it is quick and easy to make. There’s no measuring and no mess, just drop the bag in the sauce pan and it cooks in 10 minutes. Plus, it is an easy way to add vegetables to meals, especially for any parents with picky eaters!
Want to try it?
You can find Success Garden & Grains Blends at Publix stores across the Southeast & Mid-Atlantic. You can also check to see if it is available yet at your local grocery store here.
More delicious Mexican inspired recipes
- Homemade taco seasoning
- Mexican corn salad recipe
- Easy taco soup
- Beef enchiladas
- See all our Mexican recipe ideas!
Other awesome recipes with rice
Tools we love
- Santoku knife – My favorite knife for cutting vegetables! This knife is the perfect size and shape, handles great, and is super reasonably priced.
- Ceramic bowls– there is literally no such thing as too many bowls. I heart bowls. So much.
Get our FREE Easy Casseroles Ebook!
Follow us below!Use #mamalovesfood on Instagram!
How to Make a Burrito Bowl
- 2 chicken breasts (or other preferred protein) cooked, sliced
- 4 cups cooked rice
- corn to taste
- black beans to taste
- salsa to taste
- 1 avocado sliced
- cilantro fresh
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- Add 1 cup of rice, plus beans, and corn into bowls (we used Success Rice Garden & Grains).
- Layer on chicken, avocado, and salsa.
- Finish with cilantro garlic dressing, a squeeze of lime juice, and fresh cilantro.
Click the button above to save this recipe!