Cauliflower rice is the perfect way to get in an extra helping of veggies. Cauliflower rice tastes just like white rice but with none of the guilt!
Cauliflower Rice is one of the best healthy food switches. Cauliflower rice makes a perfect substitute for white rice and it’s totally up there with zucchini noodles and cabbage noodles. Rice and noodles are my comfort food, so being able to enjoy them guilt free is super awesome.
What is cauliflower rice?
Cauliflower rice is cauliflower cut into rice size pieces and then cooked. It is used as a substitute for rice. Cauliflower rice is gluten free, grain free, and full of vitamins and minerals.
When I first started making cauliflower rice, I would do it on the stove top. But much like my bacon in the oven adventures, I figured there had to be a better (easier!) way. And, of course there is. Now, I can pop it in the oven and go busy myself with other things. My favorite kind of cooking!
What does cauliflower rice taste like?
Roasted cauliflower rice doesn’t taste exactly like white rice, but it does have a nice mild, slightly nutty, flavor, and the right texture to replace rice in most dishes or to eat on its own. My kids even like it, and that’s a darn good litmus test!
Can you buy cauliflower rice?
You can buy cauliflower rice in the freezer section of many grocery stores, as well as at Costco warehouses. Occasionally I have also seen cauliflower rice in the refrigerated area of the produce section at our local market.
Even though you can buy cauliflower rice, I suggest making it yourself because it is so incredibly easy and a lot less expensive. Also, you can make extra to freeze in advance if you don’t want to drag your food processor out every time!
Is cauliflower rice good for you?
Cauliflower rice is very good for you. Cauliflower rice is made only from cauliflower and a small amount of olive oil (which you can even skip if you like). One serving (100 grams) of raw white cauliflower provides 25 calories, is low in fat, carbohydrates, dietary fiber and protein (table). It has a high content of vitamin C as well as moderate levels of several B vitamins and vitamin K. source
How do you cook cauliflower rice?
There are several ways to cook cauliflower rice, but I find the easiest and most effective is by roasting. Some folks will pan fry, steam, or even microwave cauliflower rice, but to get the best flavor with the least amount of work you’ll want to spread the riced cauliflower on a baking sheet and roast for a few minutes at a high temperature.
More healthy recipe ideas
Cauliflower rice making tools
- Oil mister – This is the perfect gift for folks who want to make sure they know exactly what they’re spraying on their pans. We like to put olive oil in ours, but you could use anything from vegetable oil, grapeseed oil, avocado oil, or whatever you like! Just pump the top a few times and it sprays a fine mist of the oil you chose.
- Santuko knife – My favorite knife for cutting vegetables! This knife is the perfect size and
- Bakers half sheet – It’s cool, we only have about six of these bakers half sheets because they’re good for absolutely everything. Cookies? Yes! Steak? Yes! Cake? Oh yeh! Roasted veggies? Uhhhh huh!
- Ninja blender – We. Love. This. Blender. It blends all the things! Beautifully! No scraping the sides like I did in my old blender. And for a super reasonable price. My favorite thing to blend is Strawberry Lime Slushes!
How to make cauliflower rice
Cauliflower rice is the perfect way to get in an extra helping of veggies.
- 1 head fresh cauliflower cut into florets
- olive oil
Pulse florets in your food processor until they are about rice-sized (you may need to do this in two or three batches).
Pour "rice" onto baking sheets (I use two sheets per head of cauliflower) and drizzle lightly with olive oil.
Toss until olive oil is well incorporated, then spread into a thin, even layer.
Roast on the middle rack(s) at 425 degrees for 15 minutes. Toss and re-spread, then roast an additional 5-10 minutes, until cauliflower is starting to brown.