Chow Mein soup is a quick and delicious meal option. We love it for an easy takeout at home night!
Try this easy chow mein soup as a quick lunch idea or add it as a first course to your dinner extravaganza! You’ll love how simple it is and how fast it all comes together.
This article is sponsored by Mirum and Conagra. All content and opinions belong to Mama Loves Food.
Chow Mein Soup
Chow Mein Soup Ingredients
- Chicken stock or broth – You can make your own chicken stock or use store bought. If you use pre-made broth I suggest using low sodium or no salt added since the chow mein will already be salty.
- Broccoli florets – Fresh or frozen florets work fine. Make sure if you’re using frozen to measure before they are defrosted. If you’re using frozen broccoli, I like to submerge mine in water for a minute or two to defrost a bit first. This isn’t necessary, but I find it helps bring the soup to temp quicker.
- Prepared chow mein – We used La Choy Chicken Chow Mein for our recipe. La Choy is a great way to make a quick meal, and this soup preparation makes it go even further!
How do you make chow mein soup? (Step-by-step)
⭐ First, bring chicken stock to a simmer in a large soup pot.
⭐ Then, add broccoli and continue to simmer until broccoli is tender or two your liking.
⭐ Next, stir in prepared chow mein and continue cooking until heated through.
⭐ Finally, serve with your favorite stir-ins like La Choy Sweet and Sour Sauce or La Choy Chow Mein Noodles!
La Choy Chow Mein for Chow Mein Soup
La Choy has been delivering Asian inspired meals and ingredients since 1922! La Choy products help give you the confidence you need to bring quick, Asian-inspired meals to your kitchen. You can make mealtime easier and enjoy a meal full of Asian-inspired flavor with La Choy Chicken Chow Mein or using it to create new recipes like our chow mein soup!
La Choy Chicken Chow Mein is a delicious combination of Asian-style vegetables and tender cuts of chicken in a delicately seasoned sauce. It’s great over rice or with La Choy Chow Mein Noodles (or as a soup!). Quick and easy to prepare, La Choy Chicken Chow Mein can be heated on a stove top or in the microwave for a stress-free family meal.
Each 42 Ounce can of La Choy Chicken Chow Mein contains 3 servings, or when prepared as Chow Mein Soup, 4 servings. The chicken and sauce are packaged separately to keep the vegetables crisp!
We picked up our soup ingredients from Walmart using the super convenient Walmart Online Grocery (OG)! Ordered online and had it brought right out to my car. So easy!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use other vegetables?
My kids are super broccoli lovers, so we make this soup with broccoli, but you could totally use any vegetables. An Asian blend of frozen veggies would be perfect too. Or throw in some canned, frozen, or fresh green beans!
Can you prepare it ahead?
You can prepare chow mein soup a day or two in advance if you like and store it in the refrigerator until ready to eat. We typically prepare it right before serving though since the recipe is quick and simple.
How to store leftovers?
Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to three days. We do not recommend freezing chow mein soup.
Complete the meal with our recipe suggestions!
This chow mein soup recipe makes a great light lunch idea on it’s own, but if you’re serving it for dinner try it alongside some teriyaki chicken kabobs, baked cauliflower rice, and a sweet treat at the end like apple bread.
More delicious Asian inspired recipes
- Healthy egg roll in a bowl
- Honey garlic chicken in a slow cooker
- Quick fried rice
- See all our Asian recipes!
More soups to enjoy
- Broccoli and cheese soup
- Stuffed cabbage roll soup
- Easy sweet potato curry soup
- See all our quick soup recipes!
Tools we love
- 6.5 Quart Dutch oven – An enameled cast iron Dutch oven can go from stove top to oven and look beautiful doing it. Perfect for chilis, roasts, breads, and stews. Mine is yellow, what color will you choose?
- Santuko knife – My favorite knife for cutting vegetables! This knife is the perfect size and shape, handles great, and is super reasonably priced. Also, I just love that it’s fun and colorful! Perfect if you’re using fresh broccoli.
- See all our recent favorites in the Year in Review!
Love this recipe? Join Us For More!
Follow us below!Use #mamalovesfood on Instagram!
How to Make Chow Mein Soup
Chow Mein Soup
- 32 ounces chicken stock or broth 4 cups
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 3 cups prepared chow mein we used La Choy Chicken Chow Mein
- sweet and sour sauce (to taste) we used La Choy Sweet and Sour Sauce
- Bring stock to a simmer.
- Add broccoli florets and cook until tender.
- Stir in chow mein and continue to cook until heated through.
- Serve with sweet and sour sauce.