Chili Dog Casserole is my nine year old’s FAVORITE recipe! And I love it because it’s SO easy to make (also yummy)!
I have five kids. FIVE KIDS, yo! That means I’ve had a lot of practice cooking for a crowd. And this chili dog casserole recipe comes in super handy during football season when we love to host parties and have people over to eat.
I talk about this a lot – but it’s worth mentioning again and again – even though I love to cook and I love to have parties, what I don’t love is being stuck in the kitchen for the entire time! So we’ve learned lots of ways to shortcut and prepare in advance to avoid that scenario.
Chili Dog Casserole
Chili Dog Casserole Recipe Ingredients
- Hot dogs
- Buns (I like to use the slightly bigger sturdier buns for this as they stand up to the weight /volume/moisture of the ingredients better)
- Chili per hot dog
- Finely shredded cheese
- Optional: diced white or sweet yellow onion, hot sauce
How do you make chili dog casserole?
⭐ First, grab a pan (or pans!) that will fit all your buns. Place buns side-by-side into pan(s).
⭐ Next, tuck a hot dog into each bun.
⭐ Then, pour chili over each dog, and sprinkle cheese on top.
⭐ Finally, bake until cheese is bubbly and everything is warmed through. Top with onion and enjoy!
The awesome thing about this recipe is that it’s perfect for homegating OR tailgating! If you’re taking it with you to the game, just pop it in the oven right before you’re ready to leave and then bring it in an insulated tote so the chili dogs stay nice and warm.
Mmmmmm. So delicious and jam packed full of protein to keep you full of energy for your team all day long.
More chili recipes we love
Recipe for Wendy’s Chili – Just like the real thing!
Breakfast Chili – Chili for breakfast is a thing! And it’s a really really GOOD thing! After you try this you’ll wonder where chili for breakfast has been all your life.
Chili Mac – Sing it with me… these are a few of my favorite things… woah. Yes. Chili + mac and cheese = happy mouth.
Chili with NO Beans – Not so hot on the beans but still love chili? Then this fantastic bean free chili is just what you need. You won’t believe what some of the ingredients are, but you’ll love how they work together! Yum!
Chili Pot Pie Recipe – Only a few steps and you’ve got a delicious and unique dinner recipe! I like to use a pre-made crust for quick prep.
Turkey Chili – Trying to keep it light? This recipe is low in fat and calories, but high in flavor!
Easy Chili Dogs – Classic and delicious. My dad asks for these when he visits!
Pumpkin Chili – Get into the feel of fall with this hearty chili made special with the addition of pure pumpkin.
Quick Chicken Chili – No time for an all day chili simmer? No sweat. This Last Minute Chicken Chili is ready in no time and perfect for a simple weeknight meal.
Make sure to check out all our easy chili recipes!
How to make Chili Dog Casserole
Chili Dog Casserole
- Equal number of hot dogs and buns I like to use the slightly bigger sturdier buns for this as they stand up to the weight /volume/moisture of the ingredients better
- 1/2 cup of your favorite chili per hot dog
- 1/4 cup fine shredded cheese per hot dog
- optional: diced white or sweet yellow onion
- Grab a pan (or pans!) that will fit all your buns. Place buns side-by-side into pan(s).
- Tuck a hot dog into each bun.
- Pour chili over each dog, and then sprinkle cheese on top.
- Place in a 375 degree oven for 20 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and everything is warmed through.
- Top with onion and enjoy!