This Football Field Cake is just what you need for your next football party or Superbowl Party! It was a HUGE hit!
A football field cake is so fun! It’s almost time for the Superbowl, so you know that means having friends over and enjoying a few drinks and some great food.
This Football Field Cake was originally developed for Nestlé®. All opinions and recipes are mine alone.
Football Field Cake Ingredients
Chocolate cake mix – Any kind of chocolate cake mix will work, go ahead and get what’s on sale!
Candy bars – We used Butterfinger Cups, but any small square or round candy that you crush for inside the cake and can also put icing on to create players.
Vanilla icing – It’s totally okay to use canned icing, or if you’re feeling ambitious go ahead and make you’re own. Our cream cheese icing would be delicious.
Sugar – Regular granulated sugar works perfectly for this.
Food coloring – A fun bright green food coloring is what you want for the “grass” – I find that liquid food coloring works better than gel food coloring.
How Do You Make a Football Field Cake
First give your candy bars a gentle smash. Don’t obliterate them, just break them down a bit. Then throw them into your prepared batter and mix well.
Pour candy bar batter into a sheet pan and bake until cooked through.
Next, while the cake is cooling, pour sugar and food coloring into a bowl and mix until sugar is an appropriate shade of “field green.”
When cake is cooled, add a thin layer of vanilla icing, then pour on the green sugar and smooth over top.
Then, with an icing bag (or ziploc with the corner cut), use the remaining white icing to draw the field lines and mark your “players.”
Finally, set up the field, and enjoy!
What is a Football Field Cake
A football field cake is a cake that looks like an American football field. Ours is made from a chocolate sheet cake with green sugar icing and chocolate players.
Chocolate sheet cake makes the perfect base for this cake.
When Do You Serve a Football Field Cake
Football field cakes are so fun for parties, here are my favorite occasions for making them!
- Birthday Parties
- End of Kids Sports Season
- Friday Night Lights
How Do You Arrange the Players on a Football Field Cake
If you want to arrange the players on a Football Field Cake like a playbook, start by making x’s with icing on half of the chocolate pieces, and o’s on the other half. You’ll want fourteen players total, seven x’s and seven o’s.
Arrange the x’s on one side of the field and the o’s on the other. If you’re not familiar with football, you can look up football plays online (or copy the one my husband did for us on this cake!)
How Do You Make Grass on a Football Field Cake
To make grass on a football field cake we used granulated sugar dyed with food coloring. You could use dyed icing as well, but we like the look that the sugar gives as well as the texture and flavor.
We have found that liquid food coloring works better than gel food coloring for coloring sugar.
How Do Make the Lines on a Football Field Cake
We used white icing in a piping bag (a ziploc would work too!) to create the lines on our football field cake. There’s no need to be perfectly exact about the lines or measurements, just start with a line in the middle and work your way out evenly from there.
For the end zone make simple diagonal stripes, or write your team names!
What to Serve with a Football Field Cake
Football field cakes are usually served at parties, here are a few of our favorite party recipes to serve along with your cake!
Football Field Cake – More Like This
Football Field Cake Making Tools
- Bakers half sheet – It’s cool, we only have about six of these bakers half sheets because they’re good for absolutely everything. Cookies? Yes! Steak? Yes! Cake? Oh yeh! Roasted veggies? Uhhhh huh!
- Electric mixer – I love love love love love (x’s 100) my stand mixer. Really and truly. But my daily work horse is this handheld electric mixer. It even comes in allll the colors. Which, yay!
- Classic Kitchenaid stand mixer – I don’t know why, but a kitchen just doesn’t feel like a kitchen without one of these bad boys tucked away on the counter. My favorite things to make in ours are ginger cookies, no churn ice cream, and shredded chicken. Yup, seriously. The Kitchenaid shreds chicken like no ones business!
How to Make a Football Field Cake
Football Field Cake
A Football Field Cake is the perfect addition to your Superbowl Party, tailgate, or birthday party! Make a sheet cake so much more fun!
- 1 box chocolate cake mix batter prepared per directions
- 16 ounces candy bar with enough pieces reserved to use as "players"
- 1 can vanilla icing
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-2 teaspoons green food coloring
- Give your candy bars a gentle smash. Don't obliterate them, just break them down a bit. Then throw them into your prepared batter and mix well.
- Pour candy bar batter into a 13"x18" sheet pan and bake at 350 degrees for 15 - 20 minutes, until baked through.
- While the cake is cooling, pour sugar and food coloring into a bowl and mix until sugar is an appropriate shade of "field green."
- When cake is cooled, add a thin layer of vanilla icing, then pour on the green sugar and smooth over top.
- With an icing bag (or ziploc with the corner cut), use the remaining white icing to draw the field lines and mark your "players."
- Set up the field, and enjoy!
Calories are automatically generated. For best results calculate based on your exact ingredients.