Chili Pot Pie is a super easy and delicious dinner idea. Use leftover chili or even canned chili to get a hot and flavorful dinner on the table quick!
Chili pot pie is a great meal idea! Chili is one of those foods that we pretty much always have around. Whether it’s our Wendy’s Copycat Chili, my personal favorite – Bean Free Chili, or even the canned stuff that my 11 year old is obsessed with, we always have chili.
If you have chili on hand, a bag of shredded cheese, and some pre-made pie crust, a hearty chili pot pie dinner is just a few minutes away. I like to serve this with Cinnamon Roll Cookies for dessert. What is it about chili and cinnamon rolls? YUM.
Chili Pot Pie
What Ingredients for Chili Pot Pie
The basic ingredients for chili pot pie are chili, cheese, and pie crust. You can go super ridiculously simple and grab canned chili, a bag of shredded cheese, and refrigerated pie crust (I will not judge you for this! We totally did it this way during the live show!).
Alternatively, you could go full scratch mode and make a batch of your favorite chili, roll out a pie crust recipe while the chili is cooking, and grate cheese from a block. I usually fall somewhere in between with leftover homemade chili and refrigerated pie crust.
How to Thicken Chili Pot Pie
You can thicken chili pot pie with flour or starch. We don’t generally thicken ours, but if you like your pot pie to have a little more body there are a few simple ways to do it.
- The most common way to thicken chili pot pie, would be to stir some flour into the chili before you pour it into the pie plate. You’ll want to cook the chili a few more minutes after adding the flour so you don’t get a raw flour flavor in the finished product.
- If you’re doing a gluten free chili pot pie, adding a slurry of corn starch or tapioca starch to the chili would work too.
- My personal favorite way to thicken chili pot pie is to add potato flakes until the desired consistency is reached. Just regular mashed potato flakes from the market. Works like a charm!
Other Yummy Chili Recipes
Copycat Wendy’s Chili – This Wendy’s chili recipe tastes exactly like the original and makes a really awesome filling for your chili pot pie! I like to make a huge batch and freeze half for another time. This is my husband’s favorite chili recipe.
Slow Cooker Beef Chili – Going back to basics! This is a traditional beef chili recipe but made in the slow cooker! We heart our slow cooker. Anything to make dinner time easier!
Chili Dogs for a Crowd – I love making chili dogs like this when we have a party or just a bunch of neighborhood kids hanging around the house. Easy, quick, and most importantly, delicious!
Breakfast Chili – Totally the best way to eat chili in the morning. This breakfast chili was inspired by a Spanish dish my brother always talks about. Yummmmm.
Even More Delicious Chili Recipes
Chili Mac and Cheese – Comfort food 1, meet comfort food 2. This is so yummy, in a big bowl with a dash of hot sauce and a cold beer. This makes me so happy.
The Ultimate Bean Free Chili – My favorite! This bean free chili (which is also grain free and paleo compliant), is my personal favorite of the chili recipes. P.S. It has bacon and chocolate in it. What’s not to love?
Pumpkin Chili – Tis the season. Always. There is literally no bad time for pumpkin. Pumpkin in chili adds a nice texture and thickness. It also adds a whole lot of healthy stuff!
Last Minute Chicken Chili – We make this last minute chicken chili pretty frequently – it comes together in about ten minutes if you have pre-cooked chicken. If you don’t, canned chicken works great too!
Chili Pot Pie Making Tools
- Pyrex Pie Plates– Can you really even call it a kitchen if you don’t have a set of pyrex pie plates? This might be a question for the ages. In any case, you need these.
- Oven Mitts – As pictured in this recipe and on pretty much every live show! These colorful oven mitts are my very very favorite!
- Instant Pot – If you need chili quick and aren’t a fan of the canned stuff, your best bet is a pressure cooker! I love my pressure cooker soooooooo much. I was on the fence about it at first, but now we use it several times a week!
How to Make Chili Pot Pie
Chili Pot Pie
- Chili 3 - 4 cups
- Pie dough 2 sheets per pie
- Shredded cheese we like a Mexican blend, 1- 2 cups
- Egg wash 1 egg white + 1 tablespoon water
- Press a layer of dough into your pie plate. Paint with egg wash and bake at 375 degrees for 5 minutes. Allow to cool completely.
- Pour chili into pie dish, and top with shredded cheese.
- Paint egg wash on outer edges of lower pie crust, then place top layer of pie crust over the pie. Press edges down with a fork to seal, brush entire top with egg wash, then cut a few slits in the top to vent.
- Bake at 375 degrees on middle rack for 25 - 30 min until crust is browned and chili is heated through.