Italian Chicken Sandwiches are crazy easy to make and full of yummy flavors. My mouth is watering just thinking about them! If you have ten minutes, this has got to be your go-to!
I told my husband the other night that I needed to run to the market for a couple things, but that when I came home I would make Italian Chicken Sandwiches for dinner. He knew it would be a little on the late side, but he said he’d feed the kids while I was out and then wait to eat his own dinner with me when I returned.
My quickie shopping trip turned epic, and I didn’t get home until much (much) later than expected. But he was so excited about the sandwiches he waited! And he was NOT disappointed. Try them on our homemade French bread with blender spaghetti sauce!
Italian Chicken Sandwich
Italian Chicken Sandwich Ingredients
Italian or French bread – Cut lengthwise and into as many servings as you like.
Chopped or shredded chicken – I like to do big batches of baked chicken ahead of time so we always have some at the ready for quick dinners.
Mozzarella cheese – If you’re able to shred the cheese directly from the block, this will work best as there won’t be any anti-caking agent in it, but if not, preshredded is okay too, it just won’t melt quite as nicely.
Optional – Fresh basil. We keep a basil plant growing in the window for easy garnishes.
How Do You Make Italian Chicken Sandwiches?
First, in a saucepan combine chicken and spaghetti sauce, bring to a simmer.
Next, place sliced bread onto a sheet pan and pile chicken, then cheese over top.
Then, place under broiler until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Finally, garnish with fresh basil.
Pile, pile, pile that chicken on! This is not a French Bread Pizza, this is an Italian Chicken Sandwich. Saucy chicken is the rockstar here! We’re teetering very close to an Italian Chicken Sloppy Joe, but we don’t even care! Caution to the wind! Pile it ON!
CHEEEEEESE! I recently read somewhere that cheese is as addicting as crack. I’ve never tried crack, but I know a few people (furtively raises hand) who could use a cheese intervention, so I believe it!
I topped ours with some fresh chopped spinach and basil. If you don’t have it on hand, don’t worry! But if you do, go ahead and garnish! It adds a nice fresh finish that goes well with all the heavy cheesy goodness.
More Sandwich Recipes
See all our sandwich recipes!
More Chicken Recipes
See all our chicken recipes!
More Italian Inspired Recipes
See all our Italian recipes!
- Santuko knife – My favorite knife for cutting vegetables! This knife is the perfect size and shape, handles great, and is super reasonably priced. Also, I just love that it’s fun and colorful!
- Bakers half sheet – It’s cool, we only have about six of these bakers half sheets because they’re good for absolutely everything. Cookies? Yes! Steak? Yes! Cake? Oh yeh! Roasted veggies? Uhhhh huh!
How To Make an Italian Chicken Sandwich
Italian Chicken Sandwich
- Italian or French baguette cut lengthwise and into as many servings as you like.
- 3 cups chopped or shredded chicken
- 1 cup spaghetti sauce
- 1 - 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- optional: fresh basil and/or baby spinach leaves
- In a saucepan combine chicken and spaghetti sauce, bring to a simmer.
- Place sliced baguettes onto a sheet pan and pile chicken, then cheese over top.
- Place under broiler for 2 - 3 minutes (watch closely!) until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Garnish with basil and spinach.
This post was originally posted in collaboration with Ragu. All opinions and recipes belong to Mama Loves Food.
I made our Open Faced Italian Chicken Sandwiches with Ragu Spaghetti Sauce. I love Ragu because not only is it affordable (yay!), but it contains no artificial flavors and no high fructose corn syrup.
You can lean more about the rich history of Ragu, as well as find tons more awesome recipes by clicking HERE to visit their web page!