This Slow Cooker Spaghetti Sauce comes to my rescue when we (inevitably) run out of jarred marinara sauce on spaghetti night. And it’s delicious too!
Slow Cooker Spaghetti Sauce is made from ingredients I always have floating around the pantry and it’s super easy. The great thing about this sauce is that it’s simple to tweak. If you love black olives in your sauce, throw them in! Hate garlic? Skip it! Going paleo? Omit the sugar! Also, it makes your house smell amazing.
Slow Cooker Spaghetti Sauce Ingredients
Crushed tomatoes – Canned crushed tomatoes (which I always have on hand for quick recipes like our Puttanesca).
Tomato paste – Tomato paste gives a beautiful rich tomato flavor – you can almost think of it like the bouillon of tomatoes.
Sweet yellow onion – White onion will work here too. I probably would not use red onion as it will make the end color result murky looking.
Garlic – Fresh will give the most vibrant flavor, but jarred garlic or even garlic powder will work in a pinch.
White wine – If you don’t drink, you can use white grape juice, apple juice, or even water in its place.
Dried parsley – If you don’t have parsley, oregano, and basil on hand, try a spoonful of Italian seasoning.
Dried oregano – If you use dried Italian seasoning, make sure not to add the other dried herbs, as the Italian seasoning will have all three.
Dried basil – Fresh basil will work as well if you’re like me and keep a plant in the windowsill.
Seasoned salt – I’m partial to Lawry’s seasoned salt, but you can use whatever is your favorite.
Brown sugar – I know it’s a little but controversial to add sugar to spaghetti sauce, but I find it cuts down on the acidity. You can also use honey, maple syrup, or white sugar. You can also skip this entirely if you choose.
Parmesan cheese – Optional, but I like to stir about a half cup in at the end. Yum!
How Do You Make Slow Cooker Spaghetti Sauce
First, combine all ingredients except brown sugar and Parmesan cheese in the crock pot. Give a quick stir and cook on high for 4 -6 hours or low for 8-10 hours.
Next, puree sauce to desired consistency using an immersion blender (or by carefully transferring to an upright blender).
Finally, stir in brown sugar and Parmesan cheese.
Try This With
More Italian Inspired Recipes
See all our Italian recipes!
How to Make Slow Cooker Spaghetti Sauce
Slow Cooker Spaghetti Sauce
- 2 cans crushed tomatoes 28 ounces each
- 1 can tomato paste 12 ounces
- 1 medium/large sweet yellow onion chopped
- 3 tablespoons garlic minced (I use jarred)
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon seasoned salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar optional, to cut acidity
- 1/2 to 1 cup Parmesan cheese to taste
- Combine all ingredients EXCEPT brown sugar and Parmesan cheese in the crock pot. Give a quick stir and cook on high for 4 -6 hours or low for 8-10 hours.
- Puree sauce to desired consistency using an immersion blender (or by carefully transferring to an upright blender).
- Optional: stir in sugar and cheese.