Chicken Sliders are easy to make and the perfect recipe for a crowd! We made a quick batch for the neighborhood kids this weekend and they were gone in a flash!
Chicken Sliders are a favorite in our family because they whip up quickly, taste amazing, and can be dressed up however you like. Try adding double meat for the super hungry crowd! We made this recipe even easier by using new Oscar Mayer Seasoned Buffalo Style Chicken Breast for the filling and I love the mild buffalo kick.
This post is in collaboration with OSCAR MAYER. All comments and opinions are my own.
What is a Slider?
A slider is a small hamburger or other hot sandwich made with a soft bun. In our case it’s a small hot chicken sandwich! I like to switch things up and use deli meat instead of fried or ground chicken especially when I’m pressed for time.
This trick to fixing them all at once on a sheet pan makes for a super quick and delicious meal! Sliders are frequently served as snacks, hor dourves, or appetizers. (Try them alongside our Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers!).
I love serving these sliders as an easy summer lunch for the dozens of kids that are inevitably at our house every afternoon.
I can feel good about serving Oscar Mayer Natural Cold Cuts because they have all the taste you want without the things you don’t. Made with No antibiotics, artificial ingredients, nitrites or nitrates added.
Chicken Slider Ingredients
To make this recipe I headed to my local Publix, which had everything we needed (and more) to feed the crowd.
- Dinner rolls – We used sweet Hawaiian rolls to offset the mild spiciness of the Oscar Mayer Seasoned Buffalo Style Chicken Breast, but you can use whatever dinner rolls you like. We even have a quick dinner roll recipe that would be yummy!
- Mayonnaise – I love a swipe of mayo to make a perfectly moist sandwich. Try a cilantro garlic sauce, cream cheese dip, or a curry mustard sauce if you want to mix things up a little!
- Cheese – I love muenster for this slider recipe – it’s super creamy and almost buttery tasting. If it’s not your jam though, provolone, cheddar, or even American cheese are all great options.
- Chicken – We used Oscar Mayer Seasoned Buffalo Style Chicken Breast! Great flavor and perfectly sliced for your sliders.
- Butter – A swipe of butter over the top of your rolls makes sure they will toast up perfectly.
- Garlic salt – A sprinkle of garlic salt at the end is just the right finishing touch!
- Optional toppings – Most of my kids like their sliders plain, but I love a smattering of toppings. We usually put out lettuce, tomato, onion, and pickles.
Oscar Mayer Seasoned Buffalo Style Chicken Breast
We used Oscar Mayer Natural Buffalo Style Chicken Breast from Publix in our Chicken Sliders!
Oscar Mayer Natural Cold Cuts are now made with all the good of the deli but without artificial preservatives and no added nitrates or nitrites. Oscar Mayer cold cuts make a great lunch or dinner option that parents can feel good about serving to their families.
Oscar Mayer Natural Cold Cuts have all the taste you want without the things you don’t!
How Do You Make Chicken Sliders
Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees . While the oven warms, slice your rolls in half horizontally without separating rolls from one another vertically.
Next, spread a layer of mayo on the bottom part of the bun, then cheese, then chicken.
Cover with top buns, and using a large, sharp knife, cut sliders vertically (to separate from one another).
Then, brush tops with melted butter, then sprinkle with garlic salt.
Finally, bake on center oven rack until cheese is melted and buns are toasty.
Can I Make Chicken Sliders Ahead of Time?
Yes, you can make chicken sliders ahead of time. Chicken sliders can be prepared up to a day in advance. Put them together, then store in the refrigerator until you’re ready to bake. Add the butter and garlic salt immediately before baking.
You could also store them in the freezer for up to a few weeks. Allow to thaw completely before baking.
What Kind of Bread For Chicken Sliders?
We used a Hawaiian style sweet bread (I love the balance of the sweet bread in contrast with the buffalo style chicken), but any type of dinner roll will work.
If you want something more traditional, we have a 30 minute dinner roll recipe you could try – and if you want to mix it up a little, my husband likes them with canned flaky biscuits!
How Long Can Chicken Sliders Sit Out?
Sliders are frequently served at parties, so it’s important to know how long they can safely sit out. According to the USDA two hours is the absolute maximum amount of time food can safely sit at room temperature. After two hours food enters what is referred to as the “danger zone.” (Cue Top Gun theme song).
Make sure if the sliders are in an environment warmer than room temperature, that they are returned to refrigeration sooner than two hours. Food enters the danger zone between 40°F and 140°F. In this range of temperatures, bacteria grows quickly and the food can become unsafe to eat.
How to Store Chicken Slider Leftovers
Leftovers should be stored in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for no more than three days. If the sliders have been at room temperature near or in excess of two hours, do not save the leftovers.
Freezing the leftovers is also an option, but they may not reheat as well.
Can You Freeze Chicken Sliders?
You can freeze chicken sliders before baking. Wrap the sliders tightly in saran wrap and freeze for up to a week. Longer than a week and the sliders will potentially degrade in texture and flavor.
Allow sliders to thaw completely, then swipe with butter and sprinkle with garlic salt immediately before baking.
How to Reheat
The sliders can be reheated quickly in the microwave (30 seconds – 1 minute should be plenty, depending on how many are being reheated).
They can also be reheated in the toaster oven (my favorite method) or standard oven. Reheat at 350 degrees on the center rack for five to ten minutes.
Chicken Slider Variations
★ Make a BBQ Chicken Slider by using barbecue sauce instead of mayonnaise.
★ Try swapping the butter out for a bright and light dressing, like our Citrus Vinaigrette.
★ Top with blue cheese dressing or blue cheese crumbles for a classic Buffalo Chicken Slider flavor.
★ Make Pizza Sliders by adding a slice of pepperoni, red sauce, and using mozzarella cheese.
★ For Fried Chicken Sliders (without the fried chicken), mix butter and breadcrumbs together and sprinkle over chicken before baking.
★ Add cooked bacon and avocado for Chicken Club Sliders.
Tips and Tricks
Use a long serrated knife to easily cut the dinner rolls horizontally.
Don’t separate the rolls until after meat and cheese is added for best results. Use a sharp knife to cut the sliders apart vertically.
Do separate the rolls before baking to allow folks to easily take the sliders from your baking sheet hot out of the oven!
Cook on a parchment lined sheet to keep melted cheese from cementing the sliders to the baking sheet.
Slice your toppings while the sliders are baking so they’ll be fresh!
More About Oscar Mayer Natural Cold Cuts
- Natural Cold Cuts has a NEW bold flavor: Buffalo Chicken!
- Oscar Mayer Natural Cold Cuts are made with all the good of the deli without artificial preservatives or added nitrates or nitrites
- You can find Oscar Mayer Deli Natural Cold Cuts in the refrigerated section at your local Publix
- Oscar Mayer Natural Cold Cuts have a variety of flavors including Slow Roasted Turkey, Applewood Smoked Turkey and New Buffalo Chicken
Chicken Slider Toppings
Make sure you set out a great variety of toppings for your baked sliders! We like to have lettuce, tomato, pickles, and onions.
What Goes with Chicken Sliders
More Fun Sandwich Recipes
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Hand Pies
- Classic Club Sandwich
- Chicken Salad Wrap
- The Best Grilled Cheese
- Chicken Parm Sandwich
- Roast Beef with Creamy Chimichurri Sauce
- Make-ahead Breakfast Sandwiches
- Ham and Cheese Crescents
- Rueben Sandwich Recipe
- See all our sandwich recipes!
- Bakers half sheet – It’s cool, we only have about six of these bakers half sheets because they’re good for absolutely everything. Cookies? Yes! Steak? Yes! Cake? Oh yeh! Roasted veggies? Uhhhh huh!
- Santuko knife – My favorite knife for cutting vegetables! This knife is the perfect size and shape, handles great, and is super reasonably priced. Also, I just love that it’s fun and colorful!
- Silicone baking mats – Nothing sticks to these! Whaaaa?! Perfect for baking sugary cookies, or cheesy croissants. You know why? Because nothing sticks to these!!!
How to Make Chicken Sliders
- Package of 24 dinner rolls
- ½ - 1 cup of mayonnaise
- 8 ounces muenster cheese 10 slices
- 14 ounces sliced chicken we used 2 packages of Oscar Mayer Seasoned Buffalo Style Chicken Breast
- ¼ stick of butter melted
- Garlic salt as desired
- Slice your rolls in half horizontally without separating rolls from one another vertically.
- Spread a layer of mayo on the bottom part of the bun, then cheese, then Oscar Mayer Seasoned Buffalo Style Chicken Breast.
- Cover with top buns, and using a large, sharp knife, cut sliders vertically (to separate from one another).
- Brush tops with melted butter, then sprinkle with garlic salt.
- Bake on center oven rack at 350 degrees for 10 - 15 minutes until cheese is melted and buns are toasty.
- Serve alongside sliced toppings and allow folks to dress as they like.