This sausage and peppers flatbread always makes me think of my grandpa!. One of my husband’s favorite meals is sausage and peppers. The night my grandfather taught him that most Italian restaurants have it available even if it’s not on the menu might have been the happiest night of his life. Well, maybe second to the birth of our kids.
And hopefully our wedding night. But you know what I mean. He was really, really, really excited. For good reason! Sausage and peppers is one of those delightful combinations that is hard to beat. Try it with our easy garlic knots!
Wesley has been having trouble sleeping lately and as a result was a little grumpy this past week. So, I wanted to cheer him up with a twist on his favorite Italian dish!
This Sausage and Peppers Flatbread took a total of 20 minutes to make (including bake time!) and turned out delicious.
|Pretend the bowl of red peppers is full. Oops, I may have been snacking as I worked!|
Sausage and Peppers Flatbread, Ingredients
Marinara or spaghetti sauce
Baby spinach leaves
Finely shredded mozzarella cheese
Italian sausage, cooked and sliced thin
Roasted red peppers packed in oil, drained
Fresh basil leaves
How Do You Make Sausage and Peppers Flatbread
First, pile ingredients onto flatbread in the following order: sauce, cheese, toppings. (Sometimes I hide some spinach under the cheese so my kids don’t see it).
Next, place flatbread on a cookie sheet and bake on the center oven rack until crust is turning golden brown and cheese is melted and bubbly.
Finally, slice and enjoy!
How to Top Your Flatbread
You can use any combination of ingredients (so long as you don’t forget the peppers and sausage, of course!) – I chose to include marinara, mozzarella cheese, Italian sausage, fresh spinach, fresh basil, and roasted red peppers.
Parmesan cheese, roasted garlic, and red pepper flakes would’ve also made great additions!
What to Use as a Flatbread Base
You could go all out and make flatbread from scratch (here’s my favorite pizza dough recipe) and roast the peppers yourself, but we put this together as a quickie lunch break meal and utilized pre-made flatbread from the deli and roasted red peppers packed in olive oil.
I added a touch of freshness with the baby spinach and basil leaves.
More Flatbreads and Pizzas
- Oil mister – This is the perfect gift for folks who want to make sure they know exactly what they’re spraying on their pans. We like to put olive oil in ours, but you could use anything from vegetable oil, grapeseed oil, avocado oil, or whatever you like! Just pump the top a few times and it sprays a fine mist of the oil you chose.
- Santuko knife – My favorite knife for cutting vegetables! This knife is the perfect size and shape, handles great, and is super reasonably priced. Also, I just love that it’s fun and colorful!
- Silicone baking mats – Nothing sticks to these! Whaaaa?! Perfect for baking sugary cookies, or cheesy croissants. You know why? Because nothing sticks to these!!!
- Bakers half sheet – It’s cool, we only have about six of these bakers half sheets because they’re good for absolutely everything. Cookies? Yes! Steak? Yes! Cake? Oh yeh! Roasted veggies? Uhhhh huh!
How to Make Sausage and Peppers Flatbread
Sausage and Peppers FlatbreadPrint Pin Rate
- Flatbread prepared
- Marinara or spaghetti sauce
- Baby spinach leaves
- Finely shredded mozzarella cheese
- Italian sausage cooked and sliced thin
- Roasted red peppers packed in oil drained
- Fresh basil leaves
- Pile ingredients onto flatbread in the order they appear.
- Place on a cookie sheet and bake on the center oven rack at 425 degrees for 15 minutes, until crust is turning golden brown and cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Slice and enjoy!
If you love sausage and peppers, try our Sheet Pan Sausage and Peppers recipe!
This Sausage and Peppers Flatbread Recipe was originally a sponsored conversation written on behalf of Aidells®.
We’ve loved Aidells® sausage in our home for years. Not only is it delicious (the Chicken and Apple dinner sausages are my personal favorite), but they’re also gluten-free, contain no nitrites, and no added hormones. All of Aidells® sausages are hand-crafted with real, hand-picked ingredients in small batches. And *huge* bonus, they’re fully cooked and ready to eat in just 8-10 minutes.
The sausages are available in these yummy flavor combinations: Cajun Style Andouille, Chicken & Apple (also available in minis), Italian Style (featured in this recipe), Pineapple Bacon (also available in minis), Spicy Mango & Jalapeno, Roasted Garlic & Gruyere Cheese Smoked Sausage, Organic Spinach & Feta, and Organic Chicken & Apple.