Asparagus Soup!!! Ahhhhhhh! I think I love asparagus season nearly as much as I love pumpkin season!!! This Creamy Asparagus Soup works up quickly and easily and is soul soothingly delicious. I'm pretty sure it could be a cog in the wheel to world peace.
Creamy Asparagus Soup Ingredients:
- 2 pounds asparagus, chopped, woody ends discarded
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup small diced sweet yellow onion (about 1/2 a small onion)
- 1 heaping tablespoon bacon fat* (here's an easy way to keep bacon fat on hand!)
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt (I used Chef Paul Prudhomme's Magic Seasoning Blends, Vegetable Magic)
- 7 cups chicken** stock (how to make your own chicken stock)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream***
- garnish: crispy bacon bits
Creamy Asparagus Soup Directions:
- Saute onion, garlic, and seasoned salt in bacon fat for about ten minutes, until onions are soft and translucent.
- Pour in chicken stock and bring to a light boil. Add asparagus.
- Simmer covered for 20 - 30 minutes, until asparagus is soft.
- Add heavy cream, and puree with an immersion blender until smooth (or carefully pour into your upright blender).
*bacon fat will yield the most robust flavor, but you can sub butter or olive oil if need be
**sub with vegetable stock if you don't eat meat
***vegans and strict paleo can omit this entirely (it really is still delicious), or you can sub coconut milk
Not in the mood for soup? Then be sure to check out my recipe for the BEST ROAST ASPARAGUS EVER!