This Double Mocha Cupcakes recipe is a partnered campaign with Unilever® - Mama Loves Food only works with brands we love! All opinions and recipes are mine alone. #wmmealinspirations
Are you loving all this holiday baking?! Oh my goodness, my kitchen has been HOPPING lately! Cookies and cakes and brownies galore, my neighbors are totally making out like bandits this year. Believe it or not, I've been stepping out of my comfort zone a little since I'm really not a baker (are you tired of me telling you that yet?) but have been super enjoying learning some new kitchen tricks.
These Double Chocolate Mocha Cupcakes were so much fun to make because I tried something I've never thought to do before - I think you'll be surprised by the ingredient we added to the box mix that makes this cupcake incredibly moist and delicious. It worked like a charm and I'm so glad to have learned this trick. I also made chocolate ganache for the first time which I always thought was a super hard chef-y thing to make, but as it turns out hey ho crazy easy!
Double Chocolate Mocha Cupcakes, Ingredients:
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (NOT prepared)
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons instant coffee mix
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- icing (I strongly recommend this super duper easy chocolate ganache)
Double Chocolate Mocha Cupcakes, Directions:
- Combine cake mix, eggs, water, mayo, and coffee mix and blend with an electric mixer for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Stir in chocolate chips and pour into Pour batter into lined cupcake tray, filling each well 1/2 - 3/4 full.
- Bake 350 degrees on center rack for 18 - 21 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely, then decorate.
YES! The secret ingredient is mayonnaise! Can you believe it?! I was totally intrigued when I heard you could bake with mayo so I just had to try it out. And hello, it totally works. These cupcakes came out moist and delicious - in fact it was so good there was almost a throw down over the last serving. Okay, throw down may be a little strongly worded, but there were definitely some terse glances exchanged. Hah. I grabbed the cake mix, mayonnaise and other ingredients on a quick trip to Walmart along with a few Christmas gifts for the kids. Okay, okay not for the kids... for me. I'll get around to the kids eventually.