Mashed cauliflower is creamy, decadent and one of my very very favorite side dishes. It tastes like indulgence and is always a huge hit!
I know a lot of folks serve mashed cauliflower as a healthier or low carb alternative to traditional mashed potatoes, but not us. We. just. love. them.
The key to making cauliflower mash supremely delicious is to treat them the same way you do your potatoes – loaded with butter, garlic, and our secret ingredient. Serve them alongside some tender oven baked chicken, and crispy roasted broccoli.
Mashed Cauliflower Ingredients
- Cauliflower – cut into bite sized florets
- Water – For steaming the cauliflower
- Chicken or vegetable stock – You can use water if you prefer, but stock adds a great flavor element.
- Cream cheese – This doesn’t make the dish taste cheesy, but it adds a lovely full bodied creaminess.
- Butter – I like to use a low moisture salted butter (like Kerrygold). If you use unsalted butter, you may want to add additional salt at the end of the recipe, to taste.
- Garlic salt – Make sure you’re using garlic salt and not garlic powder.
How do you make mashed cauliflower
⭐ First, bring water to a boil in a pot. Add a steamer basket or heat-safe colander along with cauliflower florets.
⭐ Next, cover and steam until very tender.
⭐ Then, turn off heat, drain water, and return cauliflower to hot pot. Stir in cream cheese, butter, and garlic salt.
⭐ Finally, mash until smooth (you can also use an electric hand mixer or immersion blender for this).
*If you’re serving this for a holiday meal, don’t forget the green bean casserole too!*
Preparation and Storage
Can you use frozen cauliflower for mashed cauliflower?
Yes! While you can totally use fresh cauliflower, sometimes it’s easier and faster to grab a bag of frozen veggies and that’s totally fine. Cauliflower florets or riced cauliflower will both work.
Can I steam it in the microwave?
Yes, you can steam the cauliflower for mash in the microwave by putting the florets in a microwave safe bowl with a cup of water. Cover with plastic wrap or other safe lid and microwave on high for 4 – 6 minutes.
How long does mashed cauliflower last?
Cooked cauliflower mash will last for 3 to 5 days in the refrigerator or up to 3 months in the freezer. Allow the mash to cool to room temperature before storing in the refrigerator or freezer.
Is mashed cauliflower good for you?
Cauliflower is an excellent source of vitamins and minerals, incluing vitamin C, vitamin K, vitamin B6, folate, potassium, manganese, magnesium, and phosphorus. It also contains fiber and antioxidants.
The cream cheese and butter are high in calories, but also contain vitamin A and protein.
Is cauliflower mash keto?
Yes, our creamy mashed cauliflower is keto, as most low carbohydrate vegetables are. Keto dieters usually try to keep their carb load below 25g-50g/day or so (depending on the dieter), so a small serving adds fiber, vitamins, and minerals without overloading the carbs.
More Cauliflower Recipes
See all our cauliflower recipes!
More Veggies You’ll Love!
- Cuisinart Stainless Steel Cookware Set – These pots and pans are a kitchen staple. They will literally last forever!
- Butcher’s Block Cutting Board – Have it and love it! I bet you’ve seen it on the Mama Loves Food Live Show!
- Stainless Steel 5-Piece Flatware Serving Set – Just an overall great and classic set. Perfect for serving mashed potatoes.
- OXO Good Grips Smooth Potato Masher – While not strictly necessary, this will make the potato mashing easier and faster!
Get our FREE Easy Casseroles Ebook!
Follow us below!Use #mamalovesfood on Instagram!
How to Make Mashed Cauliflower
- 1 Head Cauliflower about 5 - 6 cups florets
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter salted
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- Bring two cups of water to a boil in a pot. Add a steamer basket or heat-safe colander along with cauliflower florets.
- Cover and steam until very tender (about 15 - 20 minutes).
- Turn off heat, drain water, and return cauliflower to hot pot. Stir in cream cheese, butter, and garlic salt.
- Mash until smooth (you can also use an electric hand mixer or immersion blender for this).
Don’t forget dessert! Make some three ingredient nutella brownies for a sweet way to end your meal.