Roasted okra is crispy, delicious and a fun new dinner side that is super easy to make and always a hit at our house. And no, it’s not slimy!
Roasted Okra is absolutely my favorite food discovery this year. I always heard that okra was weird and slimy and the only preparation I knew of was battered and fried. Which, I love fair food as much as the next gal, but it’s not something I would go out of my way to make. (I reserve that honor for fried pickles).
And to be completely honest? Until this year, I wasn’t even sure what okra looked like. But a girlfriend heard I was starting a garden and brought me a pile of seeds. Some of which? Okra! So when it started growing, I had to figure out what to do! One day I threw it on the baking sheet with a pan of roasting broccoli, and I’ve been smitten ever since!
Ingredients for Roasted Okra
- okra – sliced crosswise
- olive oil – or other fat (rendered bacon fat from your oven cooked bacon works great too!)
- salt – I like to use a coarse kosher salt, or sometimes garlic salt.
How do you roast okra in the oven?
⭐ First, drizzle a light coating of oil over a baking sheet, and lay the okra on top.
⭐ Then, roast at for about ten minutes, then toss a bit with a spatula and roast 5 minutes more, until browned and crispy.
⭐ Finally, sprinkle generously with salt before serving.
More Veggies You’ll Love!
Love this recipe? Join Us For More!
Follow us below!Use #mamalovesfood on Instagram!
How to Make Roasted Okra
- okra sliced crosswise
- olive oil or other fat (in the pictures, I just used a bit of bacon grease that was leftover in the pan)
- Drizzle a light coating of oil over a baking sheet, and lay the okra on top.
- Roast at 475 degrees for ten minutes, then toss a bit with a spatula and roast 5 minutes more.
- Sprinkle generously with salt and ENJOY!