Pancake muffins are a super delicious and a great make-ahead breakfast idea for busy mornings. You can even freeze for later!
This pancake muffin recipe is a great option for picky eaters because you can easily prepare them plain or with a variety of mix-ins or toppings. Serve them alongside easy poached eggs and air fried bacon!
Click the button above to save this recipe!
Pancake Muffin Ingredients
- Flour – All purpose flour.
- Sugar – White granulated sugar.
- Baking powder – For leavening.
- Baking soda – For even more leavening.
- Salt – Regular table salt.
- Milk – We prefer whole milk in this recipe.
- Egg – Large eggs are best.
- Oil – Any mild vegetable oil.
How do you make muffins with pancake batter? (step-by-step)
⭐ First, combine all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together wet ingredients.
⭐ Next, pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined – batter should be lumpy.
⭐ Then, fill the cups of a greased or lined muffin tray about half full.
⭐ Finally, bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Can you make pancake muffins ahead of time?
You can absolutely make these ahead of time. They will last 2 – 3 days at room temperature in sealed container in a cool dry environment, or up to 5 days in a sealed refrigerated container. Allow muffins to cool completely before storing.
How do I keep my muffins from sticking?
Muffin or cupcake liners can be used to prevent sticking, but if you don’t have any or don’t want to use them, make sure to brush the inside of the muffin tin with a good pan release. For best results you always want to use a pan release with flour.
Can you use add-ins?
For sure! You can stir in, or top with whatever you would add to your normal pancakes. My kids are partial to chocolate chips.
Leftovers and storage
Do you have to refrigerate pancake muffins?
If you live in a cool dry environment, you do not have to refrigerate the muffins. But they will last longer in the refrigerator.
How long to they last?
Homemade pancake muffins will last 2 – 3 days at room temperature, 3 – 5 days in the refrigerator, and several months or longer when frozen.
Can you freeze pancake muffins?
Yes, to freeze the muffins you’ll want to let them cool completely, then store in a sealed freezer safe container. They will taste best when eating within about 3 – 6 months, but will last indefinitely in the freezer.
How do you reheat the muffins?
If you’re like me and enjoy your muffins warm with butter, try heating them up in the microwave for about 30 seconds before digging in.
Tips, tricks, and frequently asked questions
🟢 Make them mini. Use a mini muffin tin to create about 24 mini blueberry muffins. Watch closely, because they’ll cook quicker.
🟢 Go big or go home. Okay, you are probably already at home, but you can make these overstuffed bakery style muffins by piling all the batter into 6 – 8 muffin tins.
🟢 Fill them up! Add chocolate chips, blueberries, strawberries, cinnamon, apples, or whatever else you love in your pancakes or muffins.
What to eat with pancake muffins (serving suggestions)
These make such a fun and easy breakfast (perfect for grabbing on the go). Enjoy them with other breakfast favorites like oven fried bacon, blueberry french toast casserole, or crescent roll cinnamon rolls.
Or if you need other on-the-go breakfast recipes, try these make ahead breakfast sandwiches!
More delicious pancake recipes
- Dutch baby pancakes
- Chocolate chip pancake recipe
- Apple butter pancakes
- Homemade blueberry pancakes
- Fluffy pancake recipe
- Greek yogurt pancakes
- See all our pancake recipes!
Other awesome muffins to try
- Homemade blueberry muffins
- Banana muffin recipe
- Gluten free banana muffins
- See all our muffin recipes!
Breakfast ideas to try next
- Banana bread pudding
- Hash brown waffles
- Chia pudding
- Cheese danish
- See all our breakfast recipe ideas!
Tools we love
- Muffin pan with lid – I am a sucker for anything that comes with a fitted lid. This is perfect for storing for later or bringing to a friends!
- Mini muffin pan – This pan can make 24 adorable mini muffins.
- Parchment liners – I love these rustic looking liners!
Get our FREE Easy Casseroles Ebook!
Follow us below!Use #mamalovesfood on Instagram!
How to Make Pancake Muffins
- 1 ½ cups flour all purpose
- 1 tablespoon sugar white, granulated
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons, milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons oil
- ½ cup optional add-ins chocolate chips, blueberries, chopped strawberries, etc
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together wet ingredients.
- Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined - batter should be lumpy. If using add-ins, gently fold in now.
- Fill the cups of a greased muffin tray about half full.
- Bake at 350 for 13 to 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Click the button above to save this recipe!
My kids loved this for breakfast the other morning! So easy and quick to whip up in the morning. Can’t wait to make these again!
This recipe is PERFECT for brunch parties, THANK you for sharing!
So cute and yummy! I added chocolate chips to mine and everyone devoured them!