Taco casserole made with seasoned ground beef, rice, veggies, & tortilla chips, is full of great flavors & a hit every day, not just Tuesdays!
This taco casserole recipe is fully loaded with all your favorite taco flavors and super simple to make. Top it with crunchy tortilla chips, Fritos, Doritos, or even Takis! Serve with our famous cilantro garlic sauce and a classic margarita!
Why you’ll love this recipe!
📌 Easy to make! Rice cooks in the casserole pan so less dishes!
📌 Great for using up extra veggies from the crisper drawer!
📌 Simple to adjust to your family’s needs and tastes!
- Ground beef – Browned. You can also use ground chicken, turkey, or pork.
- Sweet bell pepper – Small chopped
- Instant white rice – Also sometimes called 5 minute rice; uncooked.
- Chicken broth – Chicken broth or stock (here’s how to make homemade chicken stock)
- Taco seasoning – Make your own taco seasoning, or grab a packet from the market.
- Cilantro – Fresh cilantro.
- Yellow corn – Fresh, canned, or frozen
- Mexican blend cheese – Shredded.
- Yellow corn tortilla chips – Or crushed taco shells
⭐ First, in a large bowl, combine all ingredients except tortilla chips and reserved shredded cheese.
⭐ Next, mix well, then press into a casserole dish.
⭐ Then, top with remaining shredded cheese, then tortilla chips.
⭐ Finally, cover tightly and bake until heated through. Remove foil and broil on center rack until chips are lightly browned.
Scroll down to the printable recipe card toward the bottom of this article for ingredient measurements and detailed cooking instructions.
Can you make taco rice casserole ahead of time?
Yes, this can be prepared and stored in the refrigerator for 1 – 2 days or in the freezer for several months.
What vegetables can I add?
Adding extra veggies to your casserole is a great way to bulk up your dish and make it healthier.
Try adding mushrooms, diced tomatoes, zucchini, olives, onion, and even chopped spinach!
Do I need to cook the rice ahead of time?
No, the magic of this dish is that it all cooks together in the oven at the same time!
Leftovers and storage
How long does a casserole last?
The leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for 3 – 4 days. Keep in an air tight container for best results.
Can you freeze it?
Yes! Allow the casserole to cool to room temperature then store in a freezer safe, air tight container for up to 3 months.
Click the button above to save this recipe!
Tips, tricks, and frequently asked questions
✅ Make it spicy by adding chipotle powder or diced jalapenos.
✅ Serve with favorites like black olives, sliced avocado, homemade pico de gallo, and black beans.
✅ Top with crushed Fritos, nacho Doritos, or spicy Takis for a twist.
What to eat with taco casserole (serving suggestions)
More Tex-Mex recipes you’ll enjoy
- Flour Taquitos
- Oven Baked Tacos
- Loaded Chicken Nachos
- Tortilla Soup with Chicken
- Tostadas with Chicken
- Mexican Stuffed Peppers Recipe
- See all our easy Mexican Recipes
Other casseroles to try
- Chicken fajita casserole
- Broccoli casserole
- Pork and beans casserole
- Chicken cordon bleu casserole
- Chili cornbread casserole
- See all our dinner casserole recipes!
Tools we love
- Glass casserole dish with lid – I love this dish, it can go from freezer to oven!
- Metal spatula – We like a metal spatula for getting lots of cheesy chicken and peppers.
Get our FREE Easy Casseroles Ebook!
Follow us below!Use #mamalovesfood on Instagram!
How to Make a Taco Casserole
- 1 pound ground beef browned, drained
- 1 sweet bell pepper small chopped
- 2 cups instant white rice not cooked
- 2 cups chicken stock or broth (16 ounces)
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro plus more for garnish
- 1 can sweet yellow corn (15 ounces) approximately 2 cups if using fresh or frozen
- 3 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese divided into 2 cups and 1 cup
- 1 cup smashed yellow corn tortilla chips or taco shells
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except tortilla chips and 1 cup reserved shredded cheese.
- Mix well, then press into a 9x13" casserole dish.
- Top with remaining shredded cheese, then tortilla chips.
- Cover tightly and bake at 375°F for 30 - 40 minutes. Remove foil and broil on center rack for 2 - 3 minutes (watching closely) until chips are lightly browned.