Broccoli casserole is cheesy buttery broccoli goodness baked to ooey gooey perfection. It’s an absolute staple at our dinner table!
This broccoli casserole recipe is four simple ingredients that will make anyone a broccoli lover! Serve it alongside smoked chicken thighs and baked potatoes for a hearty meal. And don’t forget the snickers salad for dessert!
Click the button above to save this recipe!
Broccoli Casserole Ingredients
- Broccoli – Frozen, thawed.
- Cheese – Velveeta cheese, cubed. Alternatively, any American pasteurized cheese can be substituted.
- Crackers – Ritz style crackers, crushed.
- Butter – Salted butter, melted.
How do you make Velveeta broccoli casserole? (step-by-step)
⭐ First, combine the broccoli, cubed cheese, and half of the crushed crackers.
⭐ Next, spread evenly across the bottom of a casserole dish.
⭐ Then, mix together the remaining crackers and melted butter, and sprinkle it over top of the broccoli mixture.
⭐ Finally, bake until cheese is melted and bubbly and cracker topping has browned.
Crock pot broccoli casserole
To make this in a slow cooker, add the broccoli, cubed cheese, and half of the crushed crackers to the inner liner of your crock pot. Cover and cook on low for at least 2 hours or high for at least 1 hour, until cheese is melted and broccoli is heated through.
Immediately before serving, sprinkle remaining butter and cracker mixture over top.
Can you make broccoli cheese casserole ahead of time?
Yes, this can be prepared and stored in the refrigerator for 1 – 2 days or in the freezer for several months. It can be stored before or after baking.
What other vegetables can I add?
Feel free to bulk this dish up with diced green or red peppers, cauliflower, a few handfuls of chopped spinach, or stir in a bag of refrigerated or frozen shredded hash brown.
Can you add meat?
Absolutely! Make this a full meal by stirring in a pound of cooked meat like leftover crock pot ham or baked chicken.
Storage and leftovers
How long does broccoli casserole last?
The leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for 3 – 4 days. Keep in an air tight container for best results.
Can you freeze it?
Yes! To freeze before cooking, assemble the casserole then cover it tightly first with plastic wrap, then foil. Freeze for up to 3 months.
To freeze leftovers, allow them to cool to room temperature then store in a freezer safe, air tight container for up to 3 months.
Can you bake a casserole from frozen?
To bake from frozen, preheat the oven and bake the casserole covered with foil for 30 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking as directed in the original recipe.
Make sure if you are baking from frozen that your dish is freezer to oven safe, not all glass and ceramic dishes are.
Alternatively, thaw in the refrigerator and bake according to original recipe directions.
Tips, tricks, and frequently asked questions
🔥 Make it spicy with some sliced jalapenos (fresh or pickled jalapenos), a healthy squirt of sriracha sauce, or a tablespoon or two of smoke chipotle powder.
🍆 Bulk it up with extra veggies. Frozen or canned work great.
🍗 Add a pound of cooked chopped meat to make it a whole meal.
🧑 Double the recipe and save one casserole for later or bring a dish to a friend!
What to eat with broccoli casserole (serving suggestions)
This is the perfect side dish to our grilled pork chops recipe or Italian dressing chicken. Don’t forget a side of roasted red potatoes and some chocolate shortbread cookies for dessert.
Other yummy side dishes
- Creamed corn
- Air fryer roasted carrots
- Mashed butternut squash recipe
- Amish macaroni salad
- Smashed potatoes
- See all our side dish ideas!
More delicious casserole recipes
- Pork and beans casserole
- Chicken cordon bleu casserole
- Chili cornbread casserole
- Baked ravioli
- See all our easy casserole recipes
If you love broccoli, try these recipes next
- Air fryer broccoli
- Broccoli mac and cheese
- Broccoli cheese soup recipe
- Oven roasted broccoli
- Broccoli salad
- Broccoli cheese potato casserole
- See all our recipes using broccoli!
Tools we love
- Glass casserole dish with lid – I love this dish, it can go from freezer to oven!
- Metal spatula – We like a metal spatula for getting heavy piles of casserole out easily.
Get our FREE Easy Casseroles Ebook!
Follow us below!Use #mamalovesfood on Instagram!
How to Make Broccoli Casserole
- 32 ounces frozen broccoli thawed (two 1 pound bags)
- ¾ pound Velveeta cheese cubed
- 2 sleeves Ritz crackers crushed (about 2 cups)
- ¼ cup salted butter melted
- Combine the broccoli, cubed cheese, and half of the crushed crackers. Spread evenly across the bottom of a 9x13 inch casserole dish.
- Mix together the remaining crackers and melted butter, then sprinkle on top of the broccoli mixture.
- Cook at 350° F for 30 to 35 minutes, until cooked through and cracker topping has browned.
Click the button above to save this recipe!
Gina Ceraso says
Amazing! I added some leftover grilled chicken and everyone loved it!
This reminds me of what my mom always made growing up! We love it around here.
This is one amazing side dish!! Everyone at my house really loved this flavorful dish!