Toasted coconut is a delightful treat with a golden, nutty crunch that adds a heavenly touch to desserts, breakfasts, and snacks.
This simple toasted coconut recipe takes only ten minutes from start to finish and will give you the most delicious topping or ingredient to add to your breakfasts, snacks, and desserts. Try it in our homemade granola or on easy pineapple fluff!
Click the button above to save this recipe!
Why you’ll love this recipe!
📌 Cost saving! It’s much more cost effective to make a big batch with the individual ingredients than buying commercially prepared blends.
📌Control what you’re eating. Know exactly what you’re putting into the recipe.
📌 Bolder flavor. Make it with the freshest spices so you know it will keep and taste great for a long time.
Toasted Coconut Ingredients
- Coconut – Shredded coconut, sweetened or unsweetend.
- Optional – Cinnamon, nutmeg, seasoning blends.
How do you toast coconut? (step-by-step directions)
⭐ First, if desired, toss your shredded coconut with seasonings (pictured is plain sweetened coconut).
⭐ Next, spread the shredded coconut in an even layer over a large baking sheet.
⭐ Then, place on the center oven rack, shaking and turning the coconut frequently to ensure even toasting.
⭐ Finally, allow coconut to cool before storing.
Scroll down to the printable recipe card toward the bottom of this article for ingredient measurements and detailed cooking instructions.
What kind of coconut for toasted coconut?
You’ll want to use shredded coconut. Pictured is sweetened shredded coconut, but you can also use unsweetened.
Can you season toasted coconut?
Do I need oil to toast coconut?
If you’re making plain toasted coconut you will not need any oil. If you are seasoning your coconut and find that the seasoning is not sticking, you can toss the coconut shreds with a small amount of vegetable oil.
Storage and leftovers
How do you store toasted coconut?
For best results, store in an air tight container in a cool dry place. We prefer to store it in the refrigerator or freezer.
How long does toasted coconut last?
When stored in the refrigerator, toasted coconut will keep for 3 – 6 months.
Can you freeze toasted coconut?
Yes, you can freeze toasted coconut. Store it in an airtight freezer safe container. It will keep indefinitely in the freezer.
Why make your own toasted coconut?
I love a quick-grab condiment as much as the next gal, but there really is something fun about making your own!
- Adjust the flavor to your tastes.
- Gluten free.
- Know exactly what’s in them.
- No additives, preservatives, fillers, colorings, or anti-caking agents.
- Money saving.
Tips, tricks, and frequently asked questions
✅ Watch closely – The coconut shreds are super small and will burn quickly if you’re not watching them. This is especially true as you get toward the 5 minute point. Don’t take your eyes off of it!
✅ Try with different types of coconut – We used shredded in the pictured recipe, but you can also use flakes or ribbons, and sweetened or unsweetened.
✅ Don’t try to get it perfectly even – There should be varying shades of tan to golden brown on your coconut, this will give you the best visual appeal and also provide varying levels of texture when eating.
What to eat with toasted coconut (serving suggestions)
More delicious recipes with coconut
- Coconut rice recipe
- Coconut shrimp
- Easy coconut chicken strips
- Pineapple bundt cake
- Magic cookie bars recipe
- Pina colada jello shots
- See all our recipes with coconut!
Other homemade seasoning recipes
- Steak seasoning recipe
- Ranch seasoning blend
- Apple pie spice
- Cilantro lime marinade
- Fajita seasoning
- See all our easy seasoning recipes!
Tools we love
- Bakers half sheet – It’s cool, we only have about six of these bakers half sheets because they’re good for absolutely everything. Cookies? Yes! Steak? Yes! Cake? Oh yeh! Roasted veggies? Uhhhh huh!
- Silicone baking mats – Nothing sticks to these! Whaaaa?! Perfect for baking sugary cookies, or cheesy croissants. You know why? Because nothing sticks to these!!!
Get our FREE Easy Casseroles Ebook!
Follow us below!Use #mamalovesfood on Instagram!
How to Make Toasted Coconut
- 4 cups shredded coconut sweetened or unsweetened
- optional: spices, vegetable oil
- Optional: toss shredded coconut with your choice of spices. If you find spices aren't sticking to the coconut add a very small amount of vegetable oil.
- Spread the shredded coconut in a thin even layer on a baking sheet.
- Bake in a preheated 325℉ for 3-4 minutes before using a spatula to flip and move the coconut.
- Continue to shake the pan and flip/stir the coconut about every minute until you have reached your desired level of toastiness.
- Remove the coconut from the oven and immediately scrape onto a room temperature baking sheet or into a room temperature bowl to cool. When cooled completely store in an air tight container.
⭐Save This Recipe⭐ Send it to your email!
I consent to receive email from this site 💌
Click the button above to save this recipe!