Simple Savory Pumpkin Soup is a delicious and easy fall recipe treat perfect for holidays or a cool afternoon.
For the past several years, we've hosted Thanksgiving for whatever friends and family are in town. We do a full day event that includes lunch, snacks, dinner and dessert. Lunch is always a selection of soups and appetizers, then dinner is a huge traditional spread with turkey, ham, stuffing, and an absurd number of sides. It's basically awesome. I generally rotate which soups we have by year, but this one crops up regularly, and it's always a hit. I love doing a soup and appetizer course, because the soups can be made up ahead and frozen, and you can ask your guests to each bring an app. Easy peasy, so you can concentrate on a fantastic dinner!
[original text] I told you I wasn't done with the pumpkin and soup recipes! It just wouldn't be Fall without a tasty pumpkin soup recipe. I like to stock up on cans of pumpkin during Fall so I can enjoy this soup all year long. It's easy, quick, and really delicious. I hope you'll enjoy my Simple Savory Pumpkin Soup recipe!
Simple Savory Pumpkin Soup Ingredients:
- 1 can pumpkin, 15 ounces
- 1 cup sweet yellow onions, finely chopped (about 1/2 a medium sized onion)
- 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, unpacked
- 3 cups chicken stock (click here to learn how to make your own chicken stock)
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 cups half and half (heavy cream or milk also work really well!)
Simple Savory Pumpkin Soup Directions:
- Saute onion in oil until translucent, add minced garlic and saute for about one more minute. Add flour and curry; stir until well mixed with the oil.
- Stir in pumpkin, brown sugar, seasoned salt, and nutmeg. Add broth and whisk until smooth.
- Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Add milk and heat until hot. Do not boil.
- Serve and enjoy!
You may also enjoy: