Pumpkin pastry made with puff pastry dough, sweet cream cheese frosting, and spiced pumpkin filling is an absolute treat!
Click the button above to save this recipe!
Pumpkin Pastry Ingredients
- Puff pastry – You can find this in the freezer section at all major grocery stores.
- Cream cheese frosting – Buy a can in the cake aisle or make your own homemade cream cheese frosting.
- Pumpkin pie mix – Canned. This is not the same as pure pumpkin puree, make sure it says ‘pumpkin pie mix’ or ‘pumpkin pie filling.’
- Egg – Small.
- Powdered sugar – Also called confectioners sugar or icing sugar. Optional, for dusting the pastry before serving.
How do you make a pumpkin pastry braid? (step-by-step)
⭐ First, thaw pastry dough according to package, then roll puff pastry into a large rectangle.
⭐ Then, cut strips on either side, and spread cream cheese frosting down the middle. Spread pumpkin pie mix over cream cheese frosting, and braid puff pastry over filling.
⭐ Next, in a small bowl, whisk egg and water together. Brush over pastry braid. Bake until pastry is
⭐ Finally, dust with powdered sugar before serving.
Can you make a pumpkin pastry braid ahead of time?
Yes! This is a great treat to make a few days ahead and enjoy for breakfast or as an afternoon snack during the week.
You can also prepare several and freeze for later.
What is pumpkin pie mix?
Pumpkin pie mix, also sometimes called pumpkin pie filling, is a canned pumpkin puree that has been spiced and sweetened.
How do I make my own pumpkin pie filling?
If you can’t find pumpkin pie mix for your pastry you can make your own by whisking together a 15 ounce can of pumpkin puree, a tablespoon of pumpkin pie spice, and a cup of brown sugar.
Leftovers and storage
Does pumpkin Danish pastry need to be refrigerated?
Yes, this contains cream cheese so leftovers should be stored in the refrigerator.
How long does a pumpkin spice pastry braid last?
This will keep in the refrigerator for 4 – 5 days or longer if frozen.
How do you freeze pumpkin pastry?
Allow the pastry to cool completely, then wrap in a layer of plastic wrap and a layer of foil. Place the double wrapped pastry in a freezer bag for best results.
Thaw in the refrigerator and enjoy chilled or warm in a 350F oven for about 10 minutes. Dust with powdered sugar right before serving.
Tips, tricks, and frequently asked questions
🧡 Make it a pumpkin butterscotch pastry by adding butterscotch chips, or drizzling the top with melted butterscotch chips.
🧡 Prepare three or four and stash the extras in the freezer for an easy treat later.
🧡 Sprinkle with coarse sugar before baking for a sweet and crunchy finish.
What to eat with pumpkin puff pastry (serving suggestions)
I love this as a breakfast treat with a cup of hot peppermint mocha. It’s also delicious as a light holiday dessert following brown sugar glazed ham, creamy mashed potatoes, and air fryer corn on the cob.
More delicious bakery style recipes
- Homemade scones recipe
- Dutch apple pie
- Easy blueberry scones
- Lemon raspberry cupcakes
- Cinnamon snickerdoodles
Other pumpkin recipes to enjoy
- Pumpkin fudge recipe
- Pumpkin cream cheese muffins
- Pumpkin curry soup
- Moist pumpkin bread
- Classic pumpkin cheesecake
- See all our yummy pumpkin recipes
Tools we love
- Bakers half sheet – It’s cool, we only have about six of these bakers half sheets because they’re good for absolutely everything. Cookies? Yes! Steak? Yes! Cake? Oh yeh! Roasted veggies? Uhhhh huh!
- Silicone baking mats – Nothing sticks to these! Whaaaa?! Perfect for baking sugary cookies, or cheesy croissants or make some no bake cookies. You know why? Because nothing sticks to these!!!
Get our FREE Easy Casseroles Ebook!
Follow us below!Use #mamalovesfood on Instagram!
How to Make Pumpkin Pastry
- puff pastry you can find this in the freezer section
- cream cheese frosting
- 1 can pumpkin pie mix (aka pumpkin pie filling) 15 ounces
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- powdered sugar optional
- Thaw pastry dough according to package, then roll puff pastry into a rectangle (9x12ish).
- Cut strips on either side, then spread cream cheese frosting down the middle.
- Spread with pumpkin pie filling (you don't have to use the entire can), then braid puff pastry over filling.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg and water together. Brush over pastry braid.
- Bake at 400F for about 30 - 35 min, until golden brown.
- Dust with powdered sugar immediately before serving.
- You can use a can of cream cheese frosting from the market, or make your own with our cream cheese frosting recipe. You can also use pumpkin spiced cream cheese frosting (as shown in the video).
- If you are unable to find pumpkin pie mix at the market you can make your own by whisking together a 15 ounce can of pumpkin puree, a tablespoon of pumpkin pie spice, and a cup of brown sugar.
Click the button above to save this recipe!
Check out our collection of pumpkin recipes!