So, I keep reading all these Tortilla Soup recipes that look fantastic, but are missing one key ingredient. The tortillas!!! So, here I am to rescue you from the injustice of tortilla-free Tortilla Soup with my super delicious Tortilla Soup Recipe for the Crock Pot Slow Cooker. Inspired by my mom. (Hi, Mom!).
Tortilla Soup Recipe for the Crock Pot Slow Cooker Ingredients:
- 64 ounces (8 cups) chicken broth or stock (click here to learn how to make your own chicken stock)
- 3 cans diced tomatoes, 14.5 ounces each (not drained)
- 1 tablespoon diced jalapeno (I use jarred)
- 1 can chopped green chiles, 4.5 ounce (not drained)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic (I use jarred)
- 12 corn tortillas, hand ripped
- 2 cans whole kernel corn, 15 ounces each, drained
- 2 cans black beans, 15 ounces each, drained and rinsed
- 2 cans dark red kidney beans, 15 ounces each, drained and rinsed
- optional: 2 large chicken breasts, cooked & shredded (click here to learn how to always have healthy baked chicken breast on hand!)
- garnishes: shredded Mexican blend cheese, sour cream, tortilla chips
Tortilla Soup Recipe for the Crock Pot Slow Cooker Directions:
- Add everything EXCEPT the corn, beans, and chicken to the slow cooker. Stir ingredients and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or high for 4 to 6 hours.
- Blend soup with an immersion blender (or carefully transfer to your upright blender and pour back into the slow cooker), then stir in the corn, beans and chicken. Cook on low for an additional 15 to 30 minutes.
- Serve with your choice of garnishes and enjoy!