This Tortilla Soup Recipe is very near and dear to my heart. Tortilla soup was my gateway food into culinary flavors other than 'American' - I know, hard to believe, but I didn't grow up eating a big variety of flavors. One year though, for a family reunion, my mother made a Tortilla Soup. I (very very tentatively) tried it and absolutely fell in love. This recipe was inspired by my mom's recipe and is a favorite in our home. I originally posted it in January of 2012 and it's been a 'fan fave' ever sine. Hope you enjoy it!
[original text] So, I keep reading all these Tortilla Soup recipes that look fantastic, but are missing one key ingredient. The tortillas!!! So, here I am to rescue you from the injustice of tortilla-free Tortilla Soup with my super delicious Tortilla Soup Recipe for the Crock Pot Slow Cooker. Inspired by my mom. (Hi, Mom!).
Tortilla Soup Recipe for the Crock Pot Slow Cooker Ingredients:
- 64 ounces (8 cups) chicken stock (click here to learn how to make your own chicken stock)
- 3 cans diced tomatoes, 14.5 ounces each (not drained)
- 1 tablespoon diced jalapeno
- 1 can chopped green chiles, 4.5 ounce (not drained)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 12 corn tortillas, hand ripped
- 2 cans whole kernel corn, 15 ounces each, drained
- 2 cans black beans, 15 ounces each, drained and rinsed
- 2 cans dark red kidney beans, 15 ounces each, drained and rinsed
- optional: 2 large chicken breasts, cooked and shredded (click here to learn how to always have healthy baked chicken breast on hand!)
- garnishes: shredded Mexican blend cheese, sour cream, tortilla chips
Tortilla Soup Recipe for the Crock Pot Slow Cooker Directions:
- Add everything EXCEPT the corn, beans, and chicken to the slow cooker (I use a 7 quart crock pot). Stir ingredients and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or high for 4 to 6 hours.
- Blend soup with an immersion blender (or carefully transfer to your upright blender and pour back into the slow cooker), then stir in the corn, beans and chicken. Cook on low for an additional 30 minutes.
- Serve with your choice of garnishes and enjoy!
Shop for items used or inspired by this recipe!
- 7 Quart Crock Pot Slow Cooker
- Swanson's Chicken Stock
- Cuisinart 2-Speed Immersion Stick Blender
- Cuisinart Stainless Steel Cookware
- Super cute soup bowls
- Hemet Guadalupe Virgin Mary Mexican Apron