This Mexican Lasagna is a simple but delicious dish that is perfect for a crowd or party!
Mexican Lasagna comes together much like a lasagna but with tortillas – you can use flour tortillas (my preference) or corn tortillas (also delicious).
Mexican Lasagna, Ingredients
- Ground Beef – You can choose a leaner mix, as we’ll be adding lots of flavors.
- Taco Seasoning Packet – You can make up your own seasoning using a mix of chili, garlic, and onion powders, some ground cumin, red pepper flakes, paprika, and some salt.
- Water – to hydrate the seasoning mix.
- Large Flour Tortillas – Cut the tortillas in half.
- Refried Beans – I love refried beans. You can get the vegetarian ones (but I love the old fashioned, traditional kind!)
- Red Enchilada Sauce – Choose mild or spicy, to suit your family’s preference.
- Diced Tomato – canned or chopped up, if tomatoes are in season!
- Shredded Mexican Blend Cheese – I love that the cheese is already blended! If you have several bags of cheese in your fridge, you can make your own blend!
- Fresh Green Onion or Cilantro, chopped – I used both.
How do you make Mexican Lasanga (Step-by-step)
⭐ First, brown then drain the ground beef. Return it to the stove, add water and taco seasoning packet. Stir and simmer until water has cooked off and meat is seasoned.
⭐ Next, layer tortillas, refried beans, ground beef, another layer of tortillas, enchilada sauce, tomatoes, cheese, and green onion/cilantro in your roasting pan. Repeat two more times.
⭐ Then, bake uncovered until everything is heated through and cheese is melted and bubbly.
⭐ Finally, dig in and enjoy!
Can You Make Mexican Lasagna In A Smaller Quantity
You can make Mexican Lasagna in a smaller quantity! We used my giant 16″ x 13″ roasting pan. It made enough to feed all seven of us (two adults, five kids) and still put some in the freezer for another dinner.
The recipe can easily be halved or quartered for a smaller crowd. Cut the recipe down by simply using the pan size that suits your needs and layering it as you would for any lasagna type dish.
Can You Freeze Mexican Lasagna
You can freeze Mexican Lasagna. If you freeze the whole pan, make sure to use a disposable pan so you’re not without a roaster while it’s occupied.
This recipe makes a massively huge dish, perfect for a party, a large family, or for freezing several portions to enjoy later. You can choose to freeze the entire pan uncooked, or bake the whole thing and then freeze individual portions for later. Either way works great!
Can You Make Mexican Lasagna Ahead Of Time
You can make Mexican Lasagna ahead of time and either refrigerate it for cooking within a day or two, or freeze for future use.
While I love (love, love, love) feeding people – it’s not fun to be slaving over the stove while folks are enjoying your party. So, being able to have a delicious dish like this prepared ahead of time is perfect.
Can I Add Other Ingredients To My Mexican Lasagna
Having fresh toppings like guacamole, cilantro garlic sauce, sour cream, lettuce, and pico de gallo at the table will let your family customize their Mexican Lasagna. You could even have corn chips or tortilla chips to add a little crunch.
Can I Make Mexican Lasagna Vegetarian
You can make Mexican Lasagna vegetarian. First, be sure to get the vegetarian refried beans. To keep the heartiness of the recipe, replace the beef with some black beans and corn.
To make the recipe vegan, you would need to use a vegan cheese.
How Do I Reheat Mexican Lasagna
You can reheat your Mexican Lasagna in the microwave in 30 second burst. Cutting it into smaller squares will allow it to reheat more evenly.
You could also reheat your Mexican Lasagna in a 350F oven until warmed.
Can I Use Corn Tortillas For My Mexican Lasagna
You can use corn tortillas for Mexican Lasagna, but it will change the texture some. Corn tortillas are a bit tougher to cut through but do add a nice “corny” taste!
What To Serve With Mexican Lasagna
More Like Mexican Lasagna
Mexican Lasagna Making Tools
- Oil mister – This is the perfect gift for folks who want to make sure they know exactly what they’re spraying on their pans. We like to put olive oil in ours, but you could use anything from vegetable oil, grapeseed oil, avocado oil, or whatever you like! Just pump the top a few times and it sprays a fine mist of the oil you chose.
- Santuko knife – My favorite knife for cutting vegetables! This knife is the perfect size and shape, handles great, and is super reasonably priced. Also, I just love that it’s fun and colorful!
- End grain cutting board – This is my absolute favorite cutting board and the one that I get the most compliments on. And p.s. I have a lot of cutting boards. It really is absolutely stunning, and knows how to take a beating. We use it every single day!
Love this recipe? Join Us For More!
Follow us below!Use #mamalovesfood on Instagram!
How to Make Mexican Lasagna
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 taco seasoning packet
- 1 cup water
- 21 large flour tortillas halved
- 2 cans traditional refried beans
- 2 cans red enchilada sauce
- 3 cups diced tomato (if you like it spicy, try swapping for rotel!)
- 4 - 6 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 1 - 2 cups fresh green onion or cilantro chopped (I used both)
- Garnishes: Extra diced tomato, cilantro, and chopped green onion
- On the stovetop, brown then drain the ground beef. Return it to the stove, add water and taco seasoning packet. Stir and simmer until water has cooked off and meat is seasoned.
- In a 16" x 13" roasting pan, layer tortillas, refried beans, ground beef, another layer of tortillas, enchilada sauce, tomatoes, cheese, and green onion/cilantro. Repeat two more times.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for about one hour, until everything is heated through and cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Garnish with extra fresh diced tomatoes,
This was originally published as a sponsored collaboration.