Breakfast burritos made with sausage, scrambled egg and and melty cheese is the perfect grab-and-go morning treat!
Click the button above to save this recipe!
Breakfast Burrito Ingredients
- Shredded hash browns – We used frozen hash browns that we cooked in a skillet until crispy first.
- Sausage – Browned ground breakfast sausage. I’m partial to maple sausage and my husband likes a spicy breakfast sausage.
- Eggs – Large, scrambled.
- Cheese – Shredded. We used colby jack cheese but you can use whatever cheese you love!
- Tortilla – Large flour tortillas.
How do you make breakfast burritos? (step-by-step)
⭐ First, prepare individual ingredients and set up an assembly station.
⭐ Next, on each tortilla, layer the cooked hash browns, sausage and eggs. Sprinkle some cheese over each.
⭐ Then, fold over the sides of each burrito, and roll up tightly.
⭐ Finally, if desired, heat a skillet with some vegetable oil or butter and brown the burrito on both sides.
Air Fryer Breakfast Burritos
To heat these in the air fryer make simply place your rolled burritos fold side down in the air fryer basket and brush with melted butter or a light coat of olive oil. Fry at 350F for 5 -7 minutes, until browned and crispy to your liking.
Can you make breakfast burritos ahead of time?
Yes! That’s one of the reasons I love this recipe. Make a big batch on Sunday and enjoy them as an easy breakfast all week. Heat them up in the microwave, toaster oven, or air fryer.
What kind of meat in breakfast burritos?
We’re partial to sausage, but use whatever you love. It’s even a great way to use up dinner leftovers. Here are a few ideas:
- Bacon (air fryer bacon or oven bacon are my favorites)
- Ham (try using brown sugar ham)
- Ground beef
- Flank steak
What kind of potatoes in breakfast burritos?
Shredded frozen hash browns are my go-to, but you can use any kind of seasoned potato or hash brown patty (try our hashbrown waffles). Even chopped up leftover roasted red potatoes or roasted garlic potatoes would be yummy!
Can you add vegetables to a breakfast burrito?
My favorite veggies to add are bell peppers, avocado slices, onion, fresh tomato, corn, and sweet potatoes.
Leftovers and storage
How long do breakfast burritos last?
They will keep up to 5 days in the refrigerator or longer if frozen. You can store before or after heating (but my personal preference is before).
Store in an air tight container and heat in a skillet, in your air fryer, the toaster oven, or your microwave.
Can you freeze breakfast burritos?
Yes! You can freeze before or after browning (I like to freeze before). Allow them to cool to room temperature then store in a freezer safe container either wrapped in or layered with parchment paper.
They will keep up to 6 months if kept consistently frozen.
Tips, tricks, and frequently asked questions
✅ Add pickled jalapenos for a spicy kick.
✅ Use dinner leftovers for the meat, leftover ham, steak, or chicken work great.
✅ Stuff yours with veggies like green pepper, onion, and avocado.
What to eat with breakfast burritos (serving suggestions)
More delicious breakfast recipes
- Blueberry scones
- Sheet pan pancakes
- Chia pudding
- Cheese Danish
- Avocado toast
- See all our easy breakfast recipes
Other awesome Tex-Mex inspired dishes
Tools we love
- Enameled cast iron – Perfect for making delicious caramelized vegetables!
- Santoku knife – My favorite knife for cutting vegetables! This knife is the perfect size and shape, handles great, and is super reasonably priced. Also, I just love that it’s fun and colorful!
Get our FREE Easy Casseroles Ebook!
Follow us below!Use #mamalovesfood on Instagram!
How to Make a Breakfast Burrito
- 3 cups shredded hashbrowns cooked to crispy
- 1 pound ground breakfast sausage browned
- 8 large eggs scrambled
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 8 large flour tortillas
- On each tortilla, layer the cooked hashbrowns, sausage and eggs. Sprinkle some cheese over each.
- Fold over the sides of each burrito, then roll up tightly.
- If desired, heat a skillet over medium-low with butter or vegetable oil. Place the burrito wrapped side down. cook for a 1 - 2 minutes to brown, then flip and repeat.
- Place rolled burritos fold side down in the air fryer basket and brush with melted butter or a light coat of olive oil. Fry at 350° F for 5 -7 minutes, until browned and crispy to your liking.
Click the button above to save this recipe!
Original publish date: Aug 19, 2008