Christmas bagels are a festive and fun red and green colored dough air fried into soft and fluffy bagels perfect for your holiday breakfast!
This easy Christmas bagel recipe will be your favorite 2 ingredient holiday breakfast this year! Make these deliciously twisted bagels with some crock pot tater tot breakfast casserole and sourdough pancakes.
Click the button above to save this recipe!
Why you’ll love this recipe!
📌 Only two simple ingredients!
📌 Made them quick and easy in the oven or the air fryer.
📌 Twisted red and green for an extra festive flair!
Christmas Bagel Ingredients
- Flour – Self-rising flour. (Make sure you get self-rising, this is crucial to the recipe!)
- Yogurt – Plain Greek yogurt.
- Food coloring – Red and green food coloring.
How do you make red and green Christmas bagels? (step-by-step directions)
⭐ First, combine self-rising flour and yogurt with a fork in a large mixing bowl until the dough starts to come together. Start to knead the dough and add a little flour as needed to bring it together completely.
⭐ Next, form the dough into a round and cut it into two pieces. Dye one round with the red food coloring and the other with the green food coloring. Knead the color into the dough, using more flour if needed.
⭐ Then, cut each ball into four pieces. Take one green piece and one red piece and roll them out into a rope. Twist the two ropes together. Take the twisted rope and pinch the ends together to make a circle. Repeat with all 4 pieces of dough.
⭐ Last, bake in your oven or air fryer until bagels are puffed up and turning golden on the outside.
Scroll down to the printable recipe card toward the bottom of this article for ingredient measurements and detailed cooking instructions.
What kind of flour to use for Christmas bagels?
This recipe calls for self-rising flour. It’s important to use this specific type of flour as it has leavening ingredients already added.
Self rising flour contains salt and baking powder so if you don’t have any self-rising flour you will need to add those two extra ingredients.
What kind of yogurt for air fryer Christmas bagels?
Full fat plain Greek yogurt is what is needed for this recipe. It seems impossible but these two ingredients together make a delicious (and protein packed) bagel.
How do you know when the bagels are done
The bagels are done when they’ve puffed up or have nearly doubled in size and are turning golden brown on the outside.
Storage and leftovers
How long do air fryer Christmas bagels last?
These will keep for around a week at room temperature in a cool and dry environment. They will keep up to two weeks in the refrigerator and indefinitely in the freezer.
Do you have to refrigerate air fryer Christmas bagels?
No, bagels can be kept at room temperature. Store in an airtight container or bag for best results. That said, they will keep longer in the refrigerator.
Can you freeze air fryer Christmas bagels?
Yes, allow the bagels to cool completely and store them in an airtight container in the freezer.
I like to slice the bagels in half before freezing so you can pop them right into the toaster straight from the freezer. Thaw in the refrigerator or at room temperature.
Tips and tricks
✅ Like a shiny bagel? Use an egg white mixed with a little water to create an egg wash and brush the tops before air frying.
✅ If the dough is too sticky, add some flour. If it is too dry you can add a little more yogurt.
✅ Flavor the bagels any way you like! Add in some vanilla extract or garlic salt for a spin on flavors.
✅ Every appliance is different so make sure to keep an eye on your bagels as they cook so they don’t overcook.
✅ Serve these up with some whipped cream cheese and holiday sprinkles!
Frequently asked questions
Can you use all purpose flour in this recipe?
No, this recipe requires self rising flour. You need the added leavening agents for the bagels to form and become light and fluffy.
Can I use flavored yogurt instead of plain Greek yogurt for the Christmas bagels?
While plain Greek yogurt is recommended for the recipe, you can experiment with flavored yogurts for different taste profiles. Keep in mind that it may alter the overall flavor of the bagels.
Can I make the Christmas bagels ahead of time and reheat them?
Yes, you can make the bagels in advance and reheat them. Store them properly in an airtight container, and when ready to enjoy, reheat in an oven, air fryer, or toaster for a few minutes.
How can I add a festive touch to the bagels besides holiday sprinkles?
Consider incorporating seasonal ingredients like dried cranberries, chopped nuts, or orange zest into the dough for added flavor and festivity.
What to eat with Christmas bagels (serving suggestions)
More fun Christmas inspired recipes
- Christmas sugar cookie bars
- Christmas chocolate bark
- Grinch Oreo truffles
- Melted snowman chocolate bark
- Italian Christmas cookies
- Grinch hot chocolate
Other awesome breakfast ideas
- Apple butter pancakes
- Shit on a shingle
- Sausage gravy
- Egg casserole
- Breakfast sliders
- Breakfast burritos
- Breakfast pizza
- See all our easy breakfast recipes!
Tools we love
- Digital air fryer – We have (pictured) this Cosori 5.8 quart air fryer. It’s great!
- Kitchen tongs – Every kitchen needs a good pair of tongs.
Get our FREE Easy Casseroles Ebook!
Follow us below!Use #mamalovesfood on Instagram!
How to Make Christmas Bagels
- 1⅓ cups self-rising flour
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- food coloring red and green
- extra flour for rolling
- In a large mixing bowl combine self-rising flour and yogurt with a fork until it comes together. Knead the dough until it forms a cohesive dough, adding extra flour in small amounts until dough is workable and not too sticky.
- Divide dough into two equal pieces and knead the food coloring into each piece to dye one red and one green.
- Divide each color into four equal pieces and roll each of the divided pieces into a rope. Twist one red rope and one green rope together until you have four red/green ropes. Pinch the ends of each rope together to form a circle.
- AIR FRYER DIRECTIONS: Line your air fryer with parchment paper and place bagels in a single layer on the paper. Cook at 350℉ for 8 - 10 minutes, until bagels have puffed, started to brown, and are cooked through. Remove from the air fryer and allow to cool completely before cutting.
- OVEN DIRECTIONS: Bake bagels in a preheated 350℉ oven on a parchment lined baking sheet for 20-22 minutes, or until golden brown. If desired, increase the baking temperature to 500℉ in the last 1 - 2 minutes to brown further (watch closely so they do not burn!). Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before cutting.
⭐Save This Recipe⭐ Send it to your email!
I consent to receive email from this site 💌
Click the button above to save this recipe!