Cosmic Brownies are a delicious throwback to my childhood brown bag lunches! Soft brownie with rich ganache and colorful chocolate chips, yum!
Cosmic Brownies are so fun to make at home. This classic Little Debbie treat is a school lunch staple and one I grew up loving. Serve your copycat version with some peanut butter and jelly hand pies or ham and cheese roll ups.
Ingredients for Homemade Cosmic Brownies
- Sugar – Granulated sugar & brown sugar
- Vanilla extract – Real vanilla, not imitation
- Eggs – Whole and extra yolks
- Butter – Unsalted
- Chocolate – Semisweet chocolate chips, and cocoa powder
- Oil – Vegetable oil
- Flour – All purpose flour, make sure it’s not self rising
- Topping – Butter, sweetened condensed milk, semisweet chocolate chips, Rainbow Chocolate Chips
How do you make Cosmic Brownies at home?
⭐ First, combine sugar, vanilla, salt, whole eggs and yolks in a bowl. Melt the butter and chocolate, then whisk together until fully combined. Whisk in the vegetable oil.
⭐ Next, pour the chocolate mixture into the sugar mixture and mix until fully combined. Gently fold in the flour and cocoa. Pour the brownie batter into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes.
⭐ Meanwhile, make the glaze. Place chopped or grated chocolate into a medium-sized, heatproof bowl and set aside.
⭐ Then, in a large heatproof bowl combine your sweetened condensed milk and butter. Microwave to melt butter. When the butter is melted add chocolate chips and stir in until melted. You can also microwave until chips are all melted and ganache is smooth.
⭐ Finally, pour the ganache over the brownies and immediately sprinkle with the rainbow chips.
Scroll down to the printable recipe card toward the bottom of this article for ingredient measurements and detailed cooking instructions.
Can you make cosmic brownies ahead of time?
You can make the brownies a day or two in advance. Store covered in a cool dry place, or in the refrigerator if longer.
Can I use canned frosting?
If you want to prep these faster you can use canned chocolate frosting. For best results, warm it up in the microwave and then pour it over the brownies like a ganache.
Leftovers and storage
How long do Cosmic Brownies last?
Leftovers will last a day or two kept at room temp in a sealed container or 3 – 4 days in the refrigerator.
Can you freeze the brownies?
If you want to freeze cosmic brownies, you’ll need to do it before adding the icing. Allow the brownies to cool, then slice and place in a freezer-safe container with parchment paper in-between to keep them from sticking.
Thaw overnight in the refrigerator or on the counter. Add icing and sprinkles after thawing.
Tips and tricks
🎄 Try using different sprinkles to make holiday brownies. Orange and purple for Halloween, pastels for spring, and red and green for Christmas.
🔥 Add a little cayenne pepper and cinnamon on top for brownies with a kick.
🧀 Top with cream cheese icing instead of ganache for a chocolate cheesecake vibe.
What to serve with Cosmic Brownies
As a kid I definitely would have had a classic PB&J and glass of milk with these, but now as an adult I think they’d make a fun finish to a more sophisticated lunch. Perhaps a cranberry steak salad with homemade citrus vinaigrette dressing, or a plate of healthy turkey meatloaf!
More delicious brownie recipes
- Pumpkin brownie recipe
- Caramel stuffed brownies
- Nutella brownies
- Peppermint brownie recipe
- S’mores brownie pie
- Check out this collection of brownie recipes or all our easy brownie recipes!
More chocolate recipes to try
- Easy chocolate mousse
- Chocolate cake mix cookies
- Chocolate cream cheese pastry
- Easy ganache recipe
- Oreo fudge
- See all our chocolate recipes here!
Other copycat recipes you’ll love
- Ikea meatballs
- Taco bell Mexican pizza
- Wendy’s chili recipe
- Chikfila frosted lemonade
- Olive Garden zuppa toscana
- See all our homemade copycat recipes!
Tools I love
- Brownie pan – This Wilton pan is the perfect size for brownies.
- Brownie spatula – Perfect for getting them out of the pan.
Get our FREE Easy Casseroles Ebook!
Follow us below!Use #mamalovesfood on Instagram!
How to Make Cosmic Brownies
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs plus 2 yolks
- 1 stick 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- ½ cup sweetened condensed milk
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup rainbow chocolate chips
- pan release
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9x13-inch baking dish with parchment paper or cover with pan release.
- Combine the granulated sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, salt, whole eggs and yolks in a large bowl.
- Melt the butter and chocolate in a double boiler, then whisk together until fully combined. Whisk in the vegetable oil.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into the sugar mixture and mix until fully combined. Gently fold in the flour and cocoa.
- Pour the brownie batter into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the glaze. Place chopped or grated chocolate into a medium-sized, heatproof bowl and set aside.
- In a large heatproof bowl combine your sweetened condensed milk and butter. Microwave for 30 seconds and stir. Microwave another 30 seconds.
- When the butter is melted carefully add your chocolate chips and stir in until melted. You can also microwave for 15 seconds more until chips are all melted and ganache is smooth.
- Pour the ganache over the brownies and immediately sprinkle with the rainbow chips.
- Let cool completely before slicing.
Click the button above to save this recipe!