If a Spiced Apple Cider Cake with Salted Caramel Icing doesn't scream Autumn, then I just don't know what does. This modified box cake recipe is a simple, fun, tasty twist on dessert. I feel like you're probably wondering why I haven't updated the pictures on this post even though it was originally published in 2011 and consists of a whopping one picture cropped three different ways.
Wellllll, first off, I'm a little bit lazy. Setting up to take nice pictures is a lot of work. But the real reason is that I tend to make this cake to take with us to parties and barely have it finished before we're running out the door like crazy people. And on the rare occasion that I make it for us, I have the terrible habit of nibbling the cake as I go (perfect evidence of this is that the ONE picture I do have - see above - has a giant slice taken out). So, it's not really picture perfect. But, I'm hoping you folks can forgive me on this. Or maybe one of you could make it and send me a magazine worthy shot? No? Okay.
Spiced Apple Cider Cake with Salted Caramel Icing, Ingredients:
- 1 and 1/2 cups caramel candy cubes
- 1 container vanilla icing
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt (taste as you go)
Spiced Apple Cider Cake, Directions:
- Add apple cider drink mix to box cake mix and prepare cake per package directions.
- Allow to cool completely before icing.
- Melt caramel candies in the microwave (cook in 20 second increments and stir between, until melted through), it should yield approximately 1 cup when melted.
- In a bowl, combine vanilla icing and melted caramel. Mix thoroughly and refrigerate for 10 - 15 minutes.
- Remove icing from refrigerator and stir in salt.
- Frost cake and enjoy!